PDA

View Full Version : unknown acrylic material

paul wiser
02-06-2009, 12:36 AM
i found some acrylic pen blanks that i had forgotten about. it is an acrylic material of some kind. purchased it from the old woodcrafters of okla, who i guess are out of business. when you drill it it is kind of powdery. when i turn it with a spindle gouge it comes off in (ribbons) and is slightly powdery. turns well, and polishes well. if anyone knows what this is, i would like to know. would like to find some more. thanks :):):)

Greg Ketell
02-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Pictures and description of the blanks would help. I've turned blanks that behaved exactly as you describe and they were TruStone blanks; artificial stone. Gorgeous blanks.

GK

Jon Lanier
02-06-2009, 1:34 AM
It's not acrylic... it is a different compound ... more like Alt Ivory is made from... I can't think of the name of it... but the guy from Arizona Silhouette makes his own brew.

Jeff Nicol
02-06-2009, 7:29 AM
Some of the inlace blanks do this and also some of the Acrylester resin blanks. As said pictures are worth a 1000 words!

We Can Help!!! I think......

Jeff

paul wiser
02-07-2009, 12:36 AM
will try and get a picture of blanks and post it thanks

Mack Cameron
02-08-2009, 7:41 AM
It's not acrylic... it is a different compound ... more like Alt Ivory is made from... I can't think of the name of it... but the guy from Arizona Silhouette makes his own brew.http://www.exoticblanks.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=60