PDA

View Full Version : Oak spindles

Bob Henry
02-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I've got to make a couple of oak spindles and was wondering if I should use a grain filler on them before I put the finish on ? If I should use a filler would what you suggest ? Thanks for any help. Bob

Samuel Brooks
02-06-2009, 6:37 AM
What makes you ask if you want to use a grain filler? What is your desired results that you are shooting for?

Please note - I have never tried using grain fillers so apply your own situation to the following.

I have read about people using grain filler on table tops because they want a smooth finish. I have also read about people using grain filler to get a specific effect in coloring to make the color more consistent.

I have also read comments that oak can be tricky to fill due to the deep nature of the grain and that the filler can shrink. But I think that might have more to do with application technique. Also it is important to force the filler into the grain and they usually recommend something with pressure which will be a challenge on a round object.

Good Luck.

Sam Brooks

Jeff Nicol
02-06-2009, 7:24 AM
Bob, I think on the spindles a good sanding sealer or a wood prep would do the job for you. These will help get an even looking color if you are staining it or make the final finish being applied go on easier and smoother. With all the pores in oak, the end and flat grain will absorb things at different rates creating dull and shiney spots, so the sanding sealer or prep will keep this to a minimum. The sealer can be a commericially available one or one you make yourself. Some use a very watered down glue mixture and some use a very thinned down version of the finish you plan to put on the piece. All will work. But if you are looking for a fully filled in surface then you will spend a lot of time filling and sanding and making sure the pores are filled. You could also wet sand with oil to create a slurry of sanding dust and oil to fill the pores, this is a lot of work too!

Good luck,

Jeff

Wyatt Holm
02-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Personally for oak, I would never use a grain filler. I like the open grain look of oak. And if you decide to stain it, the stain fills the grain and makes it beautiful. Oak is my favorite cabinet wood.