PDA

View Full Version : Mustard Vacuum Question

Pete Jordan
02-05-2009, 8:25 PM
I am still having trouble with my vacuum system on my mustard. The leak appears to be between the headstock and the Oneway drum chuck. If I stick my finger in the spindle hole I have great pressure. Once I put the chuck on I loose most of it. I have tried plastic washers and tape but with no success. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Thanks,
Pete

Gary Max
02-05-2009, 8:37 PM
What about tapeing the treads of the spindle----sure would tell you if that's where the trouble is.
The other side of the coin.
I have been using my vac a bunch this week and notice that the amonut of vac has been dropping---I was worried that my pump was going---maybe I have a leak.

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2009, 9:08 PM
Pete - I have one chuck that I made that leaks around the threads. I looked through all my 'stuff' and found a 1", or slightly larger, O-ring that I now put on the spindle first - then thread the chuck into place. Works great!

Richard Madison
02-05-2009, 9:09 PM
Gary's idea should work. A little teflon tape on the spindle threads, or a thin rubber gasket between the faceplate and the spindle shoulder might be helpful.

Chris Haas
02-05-2009, 9:09 PM
what kind of vacuum pump do you have, if its a gast rotary vane type, try doing the flushing procedure to clean it out. spray brake cleaner directly into the pump while running for 5 seconds, that should clean out any carbon buildup.