PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day gift?

Marc Myer
02-05-2009, 7:04 PM
For once, I'd like to do something really special for my wife. Or at least something better than chocolates and flowers. Seems I'm always doing something for someone else, but nothing to keep in the family.

Any good ideas? OK, any mediocre ideas? Lame ideas?

Margaret Turco
02-05-2009, 7:09 PM
Well for most people a trip to Hawaii would be great, but I guess that won't work for you.... You mean something you can make on the laser?

Brian Robison
02-05-2009, 7:24 PM
How about a frying pan or maybe a vacuum cleaner, wives LOVE that stuff!

Steve Clarkson
02-05-2009, 10:14 PM
How about engraving a REAL rose???!!!!

(sorry.....I couldn't let that one go)

Bill Cunningham
02-05-2009, 10:53 PM
All I have at at home is my wife and my youngest daughter (two other daughters are married).. I usually take them both out to dinner, but my daughter left for two weeks in Cuba this evening, so it will just be my wife and I this year.. If I make her something she thinks I'm just being cheap..ha.. so dinner it is...

Marc Myer
02-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Ha! That's a very real concern.
Plus my wife already KNOWS I'm cheap. OK, Hallmark card and some flowers, I guess. It's easier anyway.

John W. Love
02-06-2009, 12:10 AM
I remember seeing a thread on here about laserable bakeware. What woman doesn't want cookware. After all a womans place in the kitch....

ok that loud smack you just heard was my wife hitting me over the head with a piece of granite. And now I realize that what a woman really wants is diamond jewelry, a nice dinner on the town and for the husband to clean the house for the next month.

Mike Null
02-06-2009, 3:33 AM
Well, I can tell you from experience that anything with a cord is not considered a gift--contrary to what most of us on SMC think.

For my wife it goes like this: diamonds, gold, designer handbags, money, dinner. In that order.

We usually do dinner.

Frank Corker
02-06-2009, 7:04 AM
Marc, knowing what laser people are like, it's a good possibility your wife doesn't see much of you. I would opt for a meal for TWO in a good restuarant where you get yourself into a suit and she can dress up and you can actually be together for the whole evening. I might have stretched to the rose thing, but it would probably be dead by the time you got to dining. Have them bring a nice bottle of wine to the table.

Mike; Does your wife know my wife?

Steve Clarkson
02-06-2009, 7:13 AM
Shouldn't it be an engraved bottle of wine? A romantic kinda guy would engrave something beautiful and unique on the bottle and drop it off at the restaurant the day before......if it's good enough, maybe the restaurant will even ask you to do more!

Frank Corker
02-06-2009, 7:30 AM
Good plug!

Belinda Barfield
02-06-2009, 7:56 AM
Nothing with a cord, nothing for the kitchen. Does she like to read? Autographed copy of something by her favorite author.

Go to the local spa and get a gift certificate for a massage, day of beauty, whatever you think she would like. Go home and engrave either that certificate, or a certificate of your own design on wood, acrylic, something cost effective. Give her the certificate during the dinner that Frank planned for you. When she goes to the spa have her present the certificate you made for her, along with the actual certificate issued by the spa. You get to laser something, all of the ladies at the spa will think you are oh so sweet, and maybe, just maybe it will generate a little business for you.

Mike Null
02-06-2009, 7:59 AM
Steve

It's not hard to tell who doesn't have a wife.

Brian Robison
02-06-2009, 8:17 AM
BTW, I thought everyone could tell, I WAS JOKING!
So last night I ask my wife what she would like and she tells me about this deep fryer!!!!!! I said NO WAY!
I'll get you a deep fryer but NOT for Valentines day.

Steve Clarkson
02-06-2009, 8:32 AM
steve

it's not hard to tell who doesn't have a wife.

rotflmao!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan Hintz
02-06-2009, 8:48 AM
It's not hard to tell who doesn't have a wife.
I was thinking it wouldn't be hard to tell who won't have a wife for very much longer...

Kenneth Hertzog
02-06-2009, 9:53 AM
Marc

Since you live where most of us want to go.
For a nice romantic weekend take her to a ski lodge in Fargo, ND
for a chance to ski and other winter sports.

just a thought

ken

Steve Eide
02-06-2009, 1:16 PM
This was a hit with my bride last year. I wanted to make something small, but meaningful (awww). She is a retired high school English teacher and an anglophile so who better to quote?

The heart is made of two heart shaped acrylic pieces, a smaller 1/8" mirror, and a slightly larger red 1/8" glued to a mirror base. I used 1/8" red standoffs to give some depth and keep any glue from wrecking the mirror. It's only 3" high, but has a prominent place in our house.

This reminds me that I better get going; thanks for the reminder.

Steve Clarkson
02-06-2009, 1:58 PM
Steve....that's really nice.....I like idea of the etched lines in the shape of a heart....very cool. And thanks for sharing the cdr.

Kurt Strandberg
02-06-2009, 4:29 PM
How about a frying pan or maybe a vacuum cleaner, wives LOVE that stuff!

Our anniversary is Feb 12th (27 years) and with valentines day on the 14th when we are getting groceries this weekend if there are other women in the aisle with the brooms and mops when we are there I'll tell the wife

"with our anniversary and valentines day coming up why don't you pick yourself out a broom or a mop, get a good one or one of each if you like"

I usually get some looks from some of the other women in the aisle, the wife she is used to it, cause she's heard it around her birthday and Christmas too

George Brown
02-06-2009, 4:45 PM
Well, I can tell you from experience that anything with a cord is not considered a gift--contrary to what most of us on SMC think.

For my wife it goes like this: diamonds, gold, designer handbags, money, dinner. In that order.

We usually do dinner.
Battery operated has no cord. I saw this really nice panasonic.....

George Brown
02-06-2009, 4:46 PM
Ha! That's a very real concern.
Plus my wife already KNOWS I'm cheap. OK, Hallmark card and some flowers, I guess. It's easier anyway.
It's the thought that counts!

Bill Cunningham
02-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Battery operated has no cord. I saw this really nice panasonic.....

Nothing with batteries, or you could be replaced:eek:

John W. Love
02-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Nothing with batteries, or you could be replaced:eek:

Too Funny!

James Rambo
02-08-2009, 1:19 PM
Steve E.
Can you post the file in v10 or v11 (this year we will have to get up to date with CD) we are using CD11. THANKS Jaime

Steve Eide
02-08-2009, 1:44 PM
Here you go.

Tim Bateson
02-14-2009, 2:23 PM
110070Besides the wooden flowers I posted on another thread, I made my wife this marble plaque. She cried. Now this evening she want's to show it to her mom - talk about crying... It's going to be long evening.

Addition: The top two pics are from the early '50s and were crinkled and torn, the bottom one was a 40+ year old polaroid that was badly faded.

Steve Eide
02-14-2009, 3:06 PM
Very nicely done. I like the idea of several pictures under one theme.

James Rambo
02-14-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm quit sure that I was not thinking too clearly when I got married 1st son born 5 months later) . But my wife's birthday is Feb. 8 and our anniversary is Feb. 12 and everyone knows what today is, Right? But I think my wife has heard all the puns and jokes in the last 32 years we have been together.

P.s. I am pretty lucky she really does not like jewelry.