PDA

View Full Version : OT: I need a keeper

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-03-2004, 4:01 PM
Got rid of all my dangerous power equipment so I wouldn’t damage myself, but that
didn’t protect this idiot. I have an antique Root three wheel riding lawnmower on which I
needed to install the old motor. It is a very frustrating job because of the motor mounting
and all the obstructions in the way of installing the mounting bolts. To make it easier to
reach the most difficult bolt I put a 2” X 4” under each of the rear wheels. Still needed to
be higher so I added another 2” X 4”. Needed more heighth so I added another and then
another layer until they were five 2” X 4”s high. To see what I was doing I lay on my
back with my head under the mower and and then successfully started the bolt. Got the
bolt tight and then realized I should have left it loose so I could line up the other bolts.
Started to loosen the bolt and pushed too hard on the wrench. Now, mind you I could
have put those 2” X 4”s under the deck and the thing woulld have been as stable as rock.
However doing it the stupid way I did, the thing came crashing down on my head. It
didn’t knock me out but I was a little woozy. Managed to lift the mower and get my head
out. Clasped my hand to my forehead and felt the red stuff oozing out. Went into the
kitchen and grabbed a handful of paper towels to press on the wound and then pulled
them away to look in the mirror to see what damage there was. I knew I was going to
have to have stitches so I grabbed another handfull or towels to press on the cut and then
drove to the horsepistol. Four internal and eight external stitches later they sent me home.
The anesthesia is now wearing off and I am beginning to feel the damage. I used to work
smart. Don’t know what happened but I seem to have forgotten how to do that. Sorry to
bore you but I needed to let off some steam.

Ken Garlock
07-03-2004, 5:16 PM
Don, the mower paid you for your lapse in judgement. :eek: But, don't try to get even, these machines have a way of winning in the end. Let's save the dumb tricks for those in Washington :)

Sorry you got hurt, but glad it wasn't worse. I hope it all heals quickly!

Tyler Howell
07-03-2004, 7:00 PM
Bad Don Bad, Go to your room!:mad:
Your going to look real tough on a Harley next time out with stitches. Just say "it was a knife fight, you should see the other guy. His name was John Deere"
I'm finding age is changing my methods of work, some for the better.:o
Due to the critical nature of my business, I send a second guy to a lot of jobs as spotter/safety. We call it Risk Management, to help prevent the D S things we often do and also as a back up for safety. Its good insurance and cheaper than being out of service.
For wiring projects I've done a hundred times, I call in a spotter just incase. My engineering student daughter has filled that role lately, Good for both of us.
Yes Don, you need a Keeper as do we all. Good reminder.;)

Carl Eyman
07-03-2004, 8:22 PM
Those are the adjectives that describe a man that would tell that story. Oh, and one more. Compassionate. Compassionate because you wanted to warn others to avoid your misfortune. Thanks for sharing. Next time I hope the shared experience will be happier for you.