PDA

View Full Version : Which reciprocating saw blade for cutting cast iron pipe?

Brian Effinger
02-05-2009, 2:03 PM
Tomorrow I have to cut up some 3" sch. 40 cast iron pipe and I was wondering what blade to use on my reciprocating saw. I need something that is readily available everywhere (like the borgs). I also have a diamond encrusted blade from paws off tools which is designed to plow through concrete and other masonry products - would this work?
Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Chris Padilla
02-05-2009, 2:47 PM
Brian,

Maybe it is surprising to you but cast iron is relatively soft and very easy to cut, drill, tap, etc. Just get good old metal cutting blades and you should be fine.

Phil Green
02-05-2009, 3:22 PM
Brian,

I have had good luck cutting large diameter cast iron pipe with a 3M cast iron cutting blade and my circular saw. It's an abrasive blade that wears away as you use it. It is loud and makes a fair bit of dust, but it cuts quick and clean.

Phil

Per Swenson
02-05-2009, 3:28 PM
What Chris said.
Regular old metal cutting blade.
Cuts like buttah.

Per

Brian Effinger
02-05-2009, 4:31 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. The last time I cut CI pipe it took forever to get through. Now that I think about it, the old 4 amp sawzall that I had (and still have) may have been the real problem. That will be solved as soon as the UPS guy gets here - I ordered a new 13 amp sawzall from amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009RWLGU/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance) the other day. That should make a big difference. :D

Thomas Bank
02-05-2009, 6:10 PM
Pick up one of the Milwaukee Torch blades and you'll be fine.

Neal Clayton
02-06-2009, 2:14 AM
yeah, i use the milwaukee blades from the borg too. there are probably higher quality blades that last longer, but right out of the pack they cut iron easily enough.

agree on replacing the mickey mouse sawzall, a proper size sawzall will make a bigger difference than the blade. i have the same sawzall you ordered, it cuts 1/4 and 3/8 angle iron easily, which should be pretty similar to your pipe.

David Eisan
02-06-2009, 9:03 PM
Hello there,

My day job is sales mgr of a tool store, this is the blade you want,

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_27_40028_-1_683871_192590_192327

If the link does not work, Milwaukee part #48-00-1420

Good luck,

David.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-08-2009, 3:25 PM
for cast pipe you want a finer toothed blade. Less shock to the fragile iron.

Tom Godley
02-09-2009, 10:52 AM
How did you make out? -- I have had a hard time cutting CI pipe.

Normally you use a chain cutter -- it has a ring of carbide discs that crack the pipe -- very quick. You can rent them.