PDA

View Full Version : I didn't have to admit this!!

George Lohnes
02-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Like most of you, we cant wait until we start to play with our new toys.

So even though I dont even have electricity to my new (used) saw yet, I was out in my unheated garage (10 degrees last night) trying to get the riving knife / dust shroud on my Sawstop to within the required 5mm of the blade. I even went to the basement and grabbed a new blade to put on the saw.

I had previously contacted customer support and they told me how to loosen the required nuts to get the support piece to move forwards and backwards. Well, try as I might I could not get the mechanism to move anywher NEAR close enough to be where the documentation said it should be.

So I loosened more nuts, fidled for almost 2 hrs in the cold and ended up totally frustrated. More than frustrated, I was very concerned that maybe I had even made a purchase of a faulty saw!

I finally gave up and started heading into the house and decided I had better clean up so that LOML didn't kill me for the mess in the garage. As I was throwing out the container that held the new blade I put on I suddenly realized that the container (hence the blade) said 8 1/4 " blade-- NOT the 10" blade that I thought I had put on.

In other words... I had been trying for almost two hours to get the mechanism to align correctly to a grossly undersized blade!

I grabbed another blade (correct size this time) and adjusted the mechanism to be exactly where it should be. Total elapsed time about 12 minutes!!

As I stated in the title... I didn't have to admit this but I thought that sharing this would be cathartic for me :)

Brian Effinger
02-05-2009, 1:12 PM
We all have those "D'OH!!!" moments, most of us are just not big enough to admit them ;)

Don Bullock
02-05-2009, 1:14 PM
George, once you start using your new SawSto you'll forget that this ever happened OR it will be one of those stories you share for many years to come. Either way, congratulations on the SawStop. You're going to enjoy using it.;):D

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-05-2009, 1:14 PM
George - congrats again on your saw - and on finally getting it set up.

John Schreiber
02-05-2009, 1:30 PM
I've never done anything that dumb. At least so far today . . . that I'll admit to.

Good story.

Joe Chritz
02-05-2009, 4:21 PM
DOH!

As they say stuff happens.

Joe

Gary Lange
02-05-2009, 5:45 PM
Well now even at my age (64) I haven't done that but I have sure made a lot of other mistakes that I have had to admit to. I hope you got the right blade and got it set up and ready to go. We all learn for our mistakes and those of others. Thanks for sharing with me so that I will look at that blade size before I install it.

glenn bradley
02-05-2009, 5:55 PM
Right there with ya . . . every now and then these things happen just to keep us humble.

George Lohnes
02-05-2009, 6:06 PM
Right there with ya . . . every now and then these things happen just to keep us humble.

I'm married... I have constant reminders of all the the things I do wrong to keep me humble... I didnt need this one!! ;)

Chris Padilla
02-05-2009, 6:14 PM
I'm married... I have constant reminders of all the the things I do wrong to keep me humble... I didnt need this one!! ;)

"the the"? Does she complain about your constant repeating of words? ;)

Gary Lange
02-05-2009, 6:18 PM
Just wait George 10 years from now she will be telling you to make sure that's the right size blade before you install it on the table saw. No matter how old they get they never seem to forget all the stuff we have done wrong. Oh, and the stuff we forgot to do or neglected or said to them once etc.

george wilson
02-05-2009, 7:20 PM
One of the other supervisors near my Williamsburg tool shop was seen trying to fit a dollar bill into the time clock to get food !!! I have been guilty of putting water into the caraffe,and getting curious as to why the coffee wasn't dripping down from above. Let's start a stupid story thread!!!

George Lohnes
02-05-2009, 7:51 PM
"the the"? Does she complain about your constant repeating of words? ;)

It was just a nervous twitch fearing she would read this :)

Mike Wilkins
02-06-2009, 9:16 AM
Been there, done that. More than once. I think my brain slips into neutral during these moments.

Carl Babel
02-06-2009, 9:58 AM
Me too, too many times.

Much better making the mistakes on set-ups than on the cuts. Even with the SawStop, you'd rather not have to replace the cartridge/blade.

George Lohnes
02-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Well guys... I have got my saw moved out from my garage down to the basement (ie shop). No small feat in that we had a foot of snow still on the ground.

You should have seen my neighbor's face as we were snowblowing the yard (ie to make a path). I will tell you one thing... the Sawstop may be only 70 lbs heavier that a PM66 but they were 70 lbs that almost broke the back of the guys helping! I feel very fortunate to have made it into my space without any mishaps and grateful for the help (even if I did have to bribe / beg).

BUT... that leads me to the purpose of my post... NOW that it is in the shop and I am beginning to tune it up... no telling WHAT stupid things are possible in the next week :)