PDA

View Full Version : Which 14" Delta Bandsaw?

Ken Casser
02-05-2009, 11:05 AM
There is a Delta 28-203 w/riser block, rip fence for $350, or an old (don't know the Model #, serial number puts it at about 1944 production (32-99xx)) bandsaw for $300 locally. I haven't seen either one yet and have no photos or other information. I want to upgrade from my 12" Craftsman bought new 20 years ago. Should I get excited? If so, which one should excite me more? They're each a fair distance from me, so I'd rather not travel if I'm not going to be impressed. I saw the 28-276 at Lowes last night and was not happy with what I saw. I don't mind spending more, but don't mind used either. I would like the convenience of a Carter quick tension lever and a 4" dust vent, but don't know if either of these saws would accommodate that. Any suggestions? Thanks!:)

george wilson
02-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I would recommend getting the old one. I have a pre 1964 Delta I bought used that year. It has a fully enclosed column,not the open side job the new ones have. I an sure the castings are thicker,and of a better quality of cast iron. It has the hexagonal bar to raise the cutting height,not the round one with a flat spot the new ones have. Mine saws 12" deep,just fine. Some new Delta types ( Deltas too,are Chinese these days),have their heads bob up and down when they run. Wheels not truly round.

Problems: You must make sure all the parts are there, Delta calls them Historic Parts,and they cost big $$. You may have to change the wheel bearings. Except for the labor,they can be gotten at any bearing store.Just get the numbers,and make. If you can run the machine,you can hear if the bearings are bad,or maybe just spin the wheels and listen for any but smooth sounds. My top wheel bearings are original. They started getting dry and noisy. A little shot of oil where the little gap in the shieldi
ng near the shaft made it all better. The oil can get through that little gap. SEALED bearings have rubber seals,and are fully sealed.

The oil squirt isn't as good as grease,but it probably will last years. Did the same with my Harding HLVH metal lathe,also 1964. It has been fine several years later. 1 countershaft bearing started singing. A bit of work to get it out with my back trouble.

Any motor? I have an old heavy duty 3/4 hp. Master motor on mine,from the 50's,probably. Has been plenty of power.

Oh,yes,are the rubber tires any good? They get dry rot. Mine are still o.k..,But you can get blue polyurethane tires from lots of woodworking catalogs. Stretch them on with soapy water,I believe. No trouble. My tires are grooved some,still work fine.

Take the blade guide blocks out. Grind them nice and square,or get the bakelite filled with graphite lubricated ones,or the ceramic ones. The little ball bearings behind the blade on the guides may have stopped turning. Easy to get,or buy the ceramic discs that never wear out,or rotate,either.

This is starting to sound like a lot of trouble,but it's better than getting a new saw that is out of vertical alignment,frame too weak,or wheels not round. Bear in mind,I have not used a new Delta 14",but have used the knockoffs that aren't nearly as good.

Maybe input from new Delta owners?

Ken Casser
02-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Thank you, George. Also, I found out the old one has an open base, and will only resaw up to 6". I don't know if it will accommodate a riser block. Does that make a difference?

Ben Martin
02-05-2009, 1:02 PM
Thank you, George. Also, I found out the old one has an open base, and will only resaw up to 6". I don't know if it will accommodate a riser block. Does that make a difference?

Ken, I have seen pictures of the older machines on OWWM with riser blocks, so I know you can do that. Not sure if you can buy the current one or make them.

That being said, I picked up a 28-203 with enclosed base off of eBay for $250, I have yet to actually use the saw, (it needs new tires and a riser block) but from what I have seen and heard, they are very good machines.

Ken Casser
02-05-2009, 1:09 PM
Thanks, Ben! Any idea of how old the 28-203's are? US made? What kind of HP does it have? The people selling these two machines seem to know very little about them. But, maybe they aren't tool junkies like me.:D

John Bailey
02-05-2009, 1:16 PM
I had a a 1948 Delta. It was open base and a 3/4 hp.motor. While I had it, it was the best machine in my shop. Always dead accurate. It had the original guides and I loved them. However, it did not have all the bells and whistles - that was not important to me. It was a solid machine that did a solid job.

My choice, a Delta, the older the better.

John

Ken Casser
02-05-2009, 1:50 PM
Thank you, John. So where is it now? And what did you replace it with?

Rick Thom
02-05-2009, 5:20 PM
Ken, I think you will find that the 203 is an excellent, well put together saw. It is likely to be USA-made, and perhaps an early to mid-90's manufacture. I have the 206 which is essentially the same but with a 1 hp motor rather than the 3/4 hp that the 203 came equipped with. It should accept a 6" riser with no difficulty should you decide to do so. The 3/4 hp motor is perhaps a bit less powerful than is common today, but with patience should provide adequate power for resawing when equipped with a sharp blade of the proper design. I see no reason why you couldn't replace the motor with a 1 hp in the future if you found that necessary.

Ben Martin
02-05-2009, 8:45 PM
Thanks, Ben! Any idea of how old the 28-203's are? US made? What kind of HP does it have? The people selling these two machines seem to know very little about them. But, maybe they aren't tool junkies like me.:D

Ken,
Mine is a 1995 model, made in like April. (The base is like a Jan. 1994, no clue why the base sat around for 14 months before finding a saw to go with it...) Yes, it is US Made, even the new ones (the GOOD ones) are made in the USA, although cost $1200 at my local tool store. Mine is a 3/4HP model, not sure if that is all they came with.

Every time I see an older Delta for sale I get sort of twitchy, I have been surfing OWWM way to much lately. But I am sure that mine it just fine for all that I want it to do and it can become an OWWM one day...

John Bailey
02-05-2009, 8:48 PM
Thank you, John. So where is it now? And what did you replace it with?

It down around Indianapolis. When I delivered to the guy, I told him if he ever sold it to call me first. I really liked that saw. I've replaced it with an Oliver 192 18" band saw. At some point I'm gonna' find another vintage Delta to do the scroll work.

I love band saws.

John