PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on air filtration units (Steel City, JDS, Jet) and "cleanable bags"

John Sheets
02-05-2009, 6:40 AM
Fellow turners,
I had this inquiry posted on the Workshops forum but didn't get many responses, so I thought I'd let my turning colleagues give me some answers:

Sort of a multi-part question here. First, I see that Woodcraft has the Steel City air filtration unit on sale for $229. Anyone had experience with this and could comment on its performance?
Is the Jet AFS1000B pretty comparable to the JDS 750ER? I know that the JDS has been highly rated in tests.
One of the major issues on these units that I see is the inner bag cost. All three manufacturers state different scenarios for their inner bags:
Steel City- ""can't be cleaned"
JDS- "vac or shake it out"
Jet- "can be washed"
I see no point in saving $100-120 by going with the Steel City if it's necessary to buy a couple of $60 bags over the course of a few years. Or do these bags on the average (99% turning and bandsawing, rarely use the tablesaw) last for years if the pre-filter is kept clean?
Is the bag on the Jet truly washable for several cycles?

A couple of qualifiers: I don't want to make my own system, and two, I would be reluctant to go with a cheaper aftermarket bag from PSI, Grainger, etc.
Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable replies,
John

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2009, 9:49 AM
John don't know about the others but this is the one I bought and it does a great job in my shop which is 12 X 24. Filters last quite a while. The outside filter is washable and have only replaced the inside one just once in 2 1/2 yrs. so not to bad. Hangs from the ceiling and remote control is nice. Overall I would buy again. Just another choice.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/AC620.html