PDA

View Full Version : first real project- an end table

Joe Gassner
02-05-2009, 3:02 AM
I just brought inside the 2nd of my 2 end tables tonight. I am really new to the whole thing and have learned so much. Two many 1st's to count on this one.
1st time with (oregon white) oak, a router, a biscuit joiner, a belt sander and a kreg jig. Just to name a couple. Thanks to a very helpful and patient uncle it turned out much better than it could have. Just finished joining the cofee table top tonight. :D
I'd like any constructive critism.

John Keeton
02-05-2009, 6:06 AM
1st post, too! Welcome to the creek Joe. The table looks sharp, and the color turned out really nice.

The only other comment would be that the top may appear a little "light" for the mass of the legs and apron. It may have given a more proportionate appearance with a thicker top, even if you had to just beef up the edges with a glue up - conversly, make the legs a little more narrow.

Still a very nice job, especially considering the many "1sts."

John Shuk
02-05-2009, 8:25 AM
I like it. Welcome to the Creek.

gary Zimmel
02-05-2009, 8:30 AM
Welcome to the Creek Joe.

Nice job on the end table.
As John said the top could of been a tad thicker.
For a lot of us every project seems to have a lot of "firsts".

John Thompson
02-05-2009, 9:54 AM
Very nice job on your first outing. I will third John K. on a bit thicker top and a bit narrower legs. I did the basically the same thing on some end tables which were my first back in 1972. Latter when someone mentioned proportion to me I thought that was the amount of food that was alloted to me off the dinner table. :)

Excellent work and keep proportion in mind when you start the next one.

Regards...

Sarge..

Jason Tuinstra
02-05-2009, 9:58 AM
Joe, welcome aboard. I hope that this is the first of many projects we see from you. You picked a good project to start with. I like it. My first project has long since been firewood. I don't suppose this one will meet that fate. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to keep pushing yourself.

My suggestion would be to wait for some solid lengths of wood for the tabletop so that you don't have end grain joints on the top. It looks like you made due with what you had, and that's totally fine. In the future, though, because you put a lot of time and energy into a project, I'd make sure that you have the best wood for the top as that's what is, in many ways, most visible. Just my .02, which given the nature of things today, is probably not even worth .02 :D:p

Joe Chritz
02-05-2009, 10:07 AM
I like it. The other thing that may have added some would be a bit wider and deeper top to add some overhang.

The rustic oak is very nice, it reminds me of some work I saw with very old reclaimed barn wood.

I can't wait to see the coffee table.

Welcome aboard.

Joe

Bob Oehler
02-06-2009, 2:40 PM
I wish I had more time to be on the creek. But I like your piece. Keep on making chips and saw dust. I too agree the top is a little thin but I think why it stands out is the leg size.

Take care
Bob Oehler

Dewey Torres
02-06-2009, 2:51 PM
Welcome Joe!

Nice table for a first and with help you can really do great things. Subscribe to a few magazines and post regular here on the creek esp. when you run into problems and you will get better very quickly!

Lee Schierer
02-06-2009, 3:54 PM
Nice work, the first is always a mix of good and well, things you'll do differently next time. I still learn form each project. In addition to the other suggestions, I always try to match the wood color and grain on tops and large exposed panels so that the seams in the wood all but disappear. SOme folks like the contrast between adjacent pieces, but you should try to minimize the color and grain difference from piece to piece in a glue up when you can.

Keep up the good work and show us more of your projects.

Joe Gassner
02-06-2009, 5:53 PM
I appreciate all of your comments! After looking at it the top is thin. Part of that is because the piece warped a lot after joining so we ran it through my uncles planer several times. Too far along on the coffee table to make the adjustments now. I'm making the top out of Quarter sawn WO. Joined the top with the kreg jig this time and it turned out pretty well. After that its an entertainment center and then a bed. While I was in Iraq the wife "popped smoke" and took everything so I'm really having a great time doing these projects. Thank you again. I've been learning a lot. There is so much amazing craftmanship and artistry on this site!

Joe Chritz
02-06-2009, 6:58 PM
You don't list a location in your profile and it sucks about the wife but if you are ever through MI lunch and beers on me.

Glad you made it back from the box.

Joe