PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bowl 2

Mitchell Cholewinski
02-05-2009, 1:51 AM
Turned this bowl at the request of a woman who saw the first bowl I turned like this. She saw it in my gallery there and wanted one just like it she said. I had to keep looking at the picture to make it close as I could. The original was turned several months ago. Mitch

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2009, 7:27 AM
Very interesting bowl Mitchell ! I really like all the detail work on the cherry! Good looking finish also! What is the size of piece, what is the rim and pedestal turned out of and what did you use for a finish?

Nice work! I am sure your customer loves it!

Jim Kountz
02-05-2009, 8:40 AM
Nice piece and congrats on the sale!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2009, 9:45 AM
Interesting concept. Nice detail on the cherry and nice rim treatment. Customer will like that one.

Bill Bolen
02-05-2009, 1:01 PM
Nifty pedestal treatment! Like it a lot. Congrats on the sale..Bill..

Mitchell Cholewinski
02-06-2009, 3:35 PM
Steve
Thanks for the nice comments. The bowl is 4"tall and the opening diameter is 6". The original bowl had 6 coats of poly and the reproduction 4 coats, only because the cherry wood was much drier at the time of turning. The top rim was just burned brown at high rpm's with a rag. What I am and was most proud of on this turning, Steve, was the work on the bottom and you can't see it so I inserted a picture of the detail of the bottom and side. On the picture the lines on the bottom don't look good. They are fine cracks, that cherry is famous for. They actually add something to the entire turning that makes it look more like a high class antique, in my opinion.
Now I have a confession to make about my customer. I am a little embarassed to say this but a few of you guys mentioned my customer, so I need to set the record straight. She started out being a customer and was expecting to pay me for the turning, odly enough she didn't even ask me how much it would cost. Anyway I made it and shipped it to her at the address she sent me. I got a phone call asking how much she owed me, and she was thrilled at how beautiful it was, her words. I told her $5 for the wood and nothing more. I made myself a promise when I started turning that if I ever got good enough to sell turnings I won't do it. I used to make custom furniture and cabinets as a second job and dealing with some people quickly turned my love for furniture work into a second job, that I didn't want. I love turning and not going to let anything ruin this for me. Sounds crazy I know but true. I give everything away that my family has no interest in.. Thanks again. Mitch

Dewey Torres
02-06-2009, 3:38 PM
In that case Mitch, next time your family doesn't care for a piece I will send you my address and pay for shipping!

Mitchell Cholewinski
02-06-2009, 3:40 PM
Jim
Thanks Jim for the kind words. Far as the sale, read my response to Steve up above. Mitch

Mitchell Cholewinski
02-06-2009, 3:51 PM
Bernie
Thanks Bernie. As far as the detail work, I am and was very pleased with myself for the detail on the bottom of the bowl. It is very simple but for some reason I was pleased with myself for this. I am sure you understand, and know the feeling. As for the customer Bern, please read my response to Steves reply above and see the picture with the detail.
How about them Steelers? Won the super bowl with no offense most of the year. Best defense and played the toughest schedule in the NFL. Every game was a heart stopper... Mitch

Mitchell Cholewinski
02-06-2009, 3:57 PM
William Bolen
Thanks William, I am sort of partial to displaying some turnings on a pedestal myself. Seems to jazz up a , sometimes, uninspired turning. Mitch

Mitchell Cholewinski
02-06-2009, 4:02 PM
Steve
I am sorry Steve, you asked ,and I neglected to say what the pedestal is turned from. It was just a piece of the cherry that the bowl was turned from and then sprayed black. Only requirement I have for a pedestal is that it be a hardwood, unless the turning itself is something like pine. Mitch

Mitchell Cholewinski
02-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Dewey
Thanks Dewey, maybe I'll take you up on that. Mitch