PDA

View Full Version : Niche Cabinet Build Question

James Lee
02-04-2009, 11:03 PM
I need some advice on building the top part of a cabinet i am making for my friends niche. the width is W52" x H46" x D22" he is requesting that there only be 2 glass doors and the glass shelves be the entire width. here is where i am unsure, i know that i need to put in vertical pieces for support for the glass in the middle. My main concern is that being that it will be almost 46" tall and be supporting the glass shelves. i am worried about bowing. should I double up on the supports to be 1 1/2" or will a 3/4" be enough in the back and front (i will most likely make it about 3" wide)? also to support the glass my friend wants to use the 1/4" rubber covered shelf pins.

or is there any other way i build this?

thanks
James

Jamie Buxton
02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm a little confused. Is this what you're thinking about?....

There are glass shelves which are 52Wx22D. They're supported at the ends with shelf pins. They're also supported in the middle with shelf pins. Those middle shelf pins stick into vertical pieces of wood. You're wondering whether those vertical pieces can be just 3/4"x3" in cross-section, or you need 1.5"x3".

If that's what you're thinking about, the 3/4" thickness will do just fine.

James Lee
02-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Jamie sorry if i confused my question... i just want to make sure that the weight of the glass shelves would not bow or warp the vertical pieces after time.

thanks
james

Vince Shriver
02-05-2009, 12:38 AM
I'd have a conversation with the glazier where you are going to purchase the shelf - it's what they do.