PDA

View Full Version : New Cabinet

Don Orr
02-04-2009, 8:54 PM
I imagine this is no big deal for many of you but for me it is a major first. Most of the time I do round stuff because I have always had a lot of trouble with straight and square. I have a decent shop full of good quality tools and have been reading and watching and learning for quite a while with the intention of making cabinets and furniture at some point. Well one of those points has arrived. I just completed my first real base cabinet. It’s nothing special to look at but it is solid and functional. It’s made with Borg Birch ply sides and back, oak face frame and drawer front, with some birch inner parts and various scraps. Pocket screw joinery, luaun door panel. Danish oil finish. The top is a maple cutting board that my FIL salvaged many years ago and I then salvaged from his house after he died. I turned 2 knobs last night but have yet to mount them. I put it on a mobile base and it will be the stand for my planer as you can see in the last photo. It measures 22” wide by about 22” deep. It should have been 24” deep, but I cut the sides wrong. That is not the only mistake, but I will not point out the rest. I definitely learned a lot with this project and look forward to using this lesson in the future. The drawer and lower compartment are already full.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2009, 8:58 PM
Uh Don.....the planer blades go round so we'll forgive you this time!

Nice shop project. I need of couple of those to store spinny tools!

David Christopher
02-04-2009, 9:06 PM
Don, that is a good looking cabinet. I would say your well on your way to some fine woodworking

Don Bullock
02-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Don, that is a good looking cabinet. I would say your well on your way to some fine woodworking

I agree with David. Congratulations. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

John Shuk
02-05-2009, 8:27 AM
Very nice Don. Straight and square is an issue for me too.

Don Orr
02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
The title was supposed to be New Cabinet :o

Frank Guerin
02-05-2009, 7:04 PM
If it was not for mistakes we would trully learn little. I should be a genius by now but I have many more mistakes to learn from.

Nice cabinet that will serve you well for a long time.

Jim Becker
02-06-2009, 9:29 AM
The title was supposed to be New Cabinet :o

And now it is. :)

Very nice work, Don!

John Keeton
02-06-2009, 9:52 AM
Nice job, and the great thing is that your new cabinet has tenants! Always good to fill 'em up quick, so you can make another one!

GERALD HARGROVE
02-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Great looking cabinet. It will serve you well in your shop.