PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Recommendation??

Eric Shields
02-04-2009, 8:35 PM
Ok so it's been a LONG time and all either don't remember me, never seen me, or forgot I was a member/participant (for a while).

Sorry for the neglect boys and girls, life has been hectic and I've been traveling way too much. Thankfully thats is over, for now.

Anyway, need some advice/opinion as I may have been gone from here but I am certainly not out of the woodworking game (by any means). Yes, I am still in the process of converting my basement, last I remembered.

I've come across a Jet JDP-17MF Floor Drill Press that I'm looking to possibly acquire. Any thoughts or opinions on this machine?

I have not been able to put hands on to take a look, but it doesn't look in bad shape (via pic).

Seller is asking $275.00, with mortising attachment 3 bits and chisels?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Jim Andrew
02-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Before you buy a used dp, look up Grizzly and see what a comperable new one runs. And look at the specs. You can probably find them as you have the model #. I have a Griz, that I bought at a garage sale. They guy was asking 1/2 price. It is a current model, got the mortising attachment, and is a very nice dp. Mine is a bench model, but I like it.

Art Kelly
02-04-2009, 11:57 PM
I really wish my DP was reversible...

Bill White
02-05-2009, 8:34 AM
I really wish my DP was reversible...

There ya go again. Tryin' to undrill a hole. If'n ya make a mistake, just fess up. (Snicker!)
Bill

Paul Johnstone
02-05-2009, 9:46 AM
I don't have that drill press, but based on the Amazon listing, that appears to be a pretty good deal.

Drill press mortising attachments are good for occasional use. They are a bit fussy to set up, but they do the job. Really, I have a seperate benchtop mortising machine and since I don't really use it very often at all, I would've been better off with a drill press mortise attachment.

george wilson
02-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't often like Powermatic tools.But,if you can get an OLD ONE,made in USA,I had a Powermatic at work that was pretty handy. The hood went up well out of the way.Belt release tension was real easy,with a broom handle size knurled steel handle about 3" long to release the motor. Pulleys had a big difference from large to smallest size,giving a large speed range. The machine had heavy castings,and a long stroke,and good quill depth stop. I like simple,solid machines,that I can fix when they break parts. Oh,it also had a cast iron hub for the downfeed handle,not pot metal to wear out the threads on.

Eric Shields
02-05-2009, 7:02 PM
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses, but it looks as though I missed out on the deal had I decided to go for it.

Appreciate the input.

Eric

Joe Chritz
02-05-2009, 8:55 PM
The only suggestion I would have to look for a drill press (besides obvious qualities like run out, etc) would be the quill stroke. A longer one would be very handy for woodworking projects and if the decision is between two the longer stroke would get my nod.

Joe