PDA

View Full Version : First Hollow Form

Belton Garvin
02-04-2009, 8:27 PM
I picked this piece of Spalted Ambrosia maple up at one of club meetings for $3. I didn't realize it would turn out with so much spalt. measures 5.5" round and 7.5" tall including finial, Finial is 3 3/8" tall itself and is made from Mopani. Mopani is wonderful to work with as it is really strong and has a high wax content similar to cocbolo. (It's probably related). I could have made the finial much thinner and still been safe. Finish is many, many coats of deft spary lacquer. ( I forgot to use sanding sealer) I won't make that mistake again.
My personal opinion is that the finial is a little too tall (not much..maybe 1/2") and the foot is a little too wide. I'm still happy with it but will make some improvements on the next one.
Hollowing was done through a 1" opening and is smooth throughout. Not completely uniform though. Top is 3/16", Sides 1/4", and bottom closer to 3/8".
Let me know what you think.

Don Carter
02-04-2009, 8:32 PM
Belton:
That is just beautiful! Great job...thanks for showing it and keep them coming.
All the best.

Don

Alan Trout
02-04-2009, 8:36 PM
Belton, that is very nice and I think the proportions are just fine. Good work especially for you first.

Alan

Brian Brown
02-04-2009, 8:49 PM
Gee, I think it would have been nicer if the finish was glossy. :D:o Sorry. I just couldn't help myself. That is a very nice piece, and I love the high gloss. The finial look really good too. Look forward to seeing more.

David Christopher
02-04-2009, 8:51 PM
Just one word.....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2009, 8:51 PM
Belton....that is without a doubt the best 1st HF I have ever seen. I may be putting my lathe and tools up on Craigslist.

Absolutley stupendous! Wood....form..finial and finish! Absolutely Stupendous!

curtis rosche
02-04-2009, 9:02 PM
awsome work. most of the first second and third and sometimes hundreths are made into lampshades

Toney Robertson
02-04-2009, 9:12 PM
Great first HF. Beautiful wood, nice form and what a finish.

I can only hope that my first is half as good.

Toney

Steve Schlumpf
02-04-2009, 9:21 PM
Excellent hollow form - especially for a first! Pretty wood, graceful finial and a beautiful finish! Looking forward to seeing your next one! Keep up the good work!

Paul Douglass
02-04-2009, 9:36 PM
My personal opinion is that is one beautiful piece.

Bill Bolen
02-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Outstanding HF! Finish is top notch and I love everything about the form...Bill..

Neal Addy
02-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Beautiful! You've got a good eye for form. I don't thing the finial is necessarily too tall at all. The elements you incorporated work beautifully for it and give it good lift. Very nice workmanship!

Keep 'em coming!

Jim Kountz
02-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Holy smokes thats gorgeous!! Your form is amazing and the wood is just short of heavenly!! One bang up job!!

Steve Mawson
02-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Agree with everyone else, great piece. Disagree with your comment about the foot. Form could not be improved in my book.

Bernie Weishapl
02-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Belton that is beautiful for a first. The form, finish and wood are great.

alex carey
02-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Nice finish and great shape. I think the finial works quite well.

Gordon Thompson
02-05-2009, 7:01 AM
Stunning!

here I go again, "hubba, hubba" ;)

Brian Effinger
02-05-2009, 9:00 AM
That is an amazing HF - whether it's your 1st or 101st. :) If you really don't like the finial and foot, you should just get rid of it. I'll do you the favor (this time) and take it off of your hands. :p

Belton Garvin
02-05-2009, 5:55 PM
Thanks for all the praise and comments. I really had fun working on this one and think my next ones will go a little smoother. The one thing I really want to work on is the uniform and thin wall thickness. I think that is what gives hollow forms their popularity. Mine just doesn't have that lightness I was expecting to feel.