PDA

View Full Version : Uneven shop floor, any suggestions

Doug Jones
07-03-2004, 9:12 AM
My garage which is now a small shop has very uneven flooring in it (concrete). Not only does it slope in various directions but it also has cracks in it and because of settlting it has small elevations at the point of the cracks. Is there any solution to this?
Thanks for any input, Doug

Mark Singer
07-03-2004, 9:29 AM
There is a floor leveling material called Artex,,,It is used for leveling concrete

Ian Barley
07-03-2004, 11:06 AM
There is a floor leveling material called Artex,,,It is used for leveling concrete

Two nations divided by a common language - over here Artex is a decorative finish for ceilings.

Jamie Buxton
07-03-2004, 1:12 PM
Yeah, garage floors aren't precision-poured, and they (by code) slope down the door.

You could try cementatious leveling compounds. However, if the concrete underneath has cracks and the pieces are moving, those cracks will come up through the leveling compound.

You might consider a wood floor. You get to make the floor crack-less and horizontal. It'll need to be removed when you move out, but you'll have a nice shop until then. Use pressure-treated 2x material for sleepers, bearing on the existing concrete. Taper and adjust them until the top edges are horizontal in both directions of the floor. (Leave the pressure-treated face down on the concrete.) Then fasten plywood to the sleepers. The plywood can be the T&G stuff intended for subfloors. If you want to get really tricky, you can put in a couple power outlets in the middle of the floor; use the outlets intended for in-floor mounting, not ordinary wall ones.

Jamie Buxton
07-03-2004, 2:29 PM

I think Mark meant Ardex. (http://www.ardex.com/main-products.htm)

Mark Singer
07-03-2004, 9:00 PM
Right...I know my products ...I can't spel woirth a dern!

http://www.ardex.com/main-products.htm

Tyler Howell
07-03-2004, 9:52 PM
How about an underlament? Wonder board on thinset?? Or build a new wooden floor say 2X (treated lumber)? Easy on the back and knees.