PDA

View Full Version : Buy a used Bridgewood BW-10TS??? Need help ASAP!

Matt Day
02-04-2009, 8:08 PM
Hello,

A Bridgewood BW-10TS just popped up on Craigslist and I'm going to check it out tomorrow. I'm wondering if I should buy it at $350, which I think is a great deal. BUT, I know Wilke is no longer distributing these machines, and I've always hoped to find an old Unisaw but haven't found anything locally in the 3 or so years I've been looking.

Currently I have a Delta Hybrid 1 3/4HP saw with a Vega fence. This works, though I do notice it being slightly underpowered with thick stock sometimes.

I could probably get almost $350 selling my delta saw, so I wouldn't really be out any money - just the hasstle (fun?) of changing saws.

I think I should jump on this, but maybe I need a push. What do you all think?

Jim O'Dell
02-04-2009, 8:15 PM
If it works go, go now, go fast, just go...we'll talk more later. :D Those saws are built like tanks. Unfortunate that Wilke no longer sells them. Just go over it closely and make sure the trunnions are intact. Run the motor, operate all the controls.
You do have 220 volt available don't you? Jim.

Matt Day
02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
I do have 220, so that isn't a problem.

Thanks for the recommendation.

scott spencer
02-05-2009, 4:54 AM
If push comes to shove you could probably order parts from the original manufacturer.....AFAIK they were made in Taiwan. Wilke Machinery might even have some suggestions if they're still operating at all.

Mike Cutler
02-05-2009, 5:23 AM
Don't dither, don't procrastinate, go get it.

Peter Kuhlman
02-05-2009, 11:50 AM
I have the 10" left tilt cabinet saw and it is nothing short of fantastic. Was selling for around 1300 with fence and I paid around 1050 without a fence brand new. No complaints at all. If it is the cabinet saw, GET IT QUICK!!

Jim O'Dell
02-05-2009, 12:31 PM
There is a thread here talkng about Bridgewood parts http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84425 Jim.

Matt Day
02-05-2009, 2:42 PM
Thanks for the help. I just checked it out but unfortunately only had a few minutes to give it a once over (had to get back for a meeting). What I found was that it was missing the mitre gauge, metal blade instert (a wood one was in there), and the arbor wrenches for changing the blades. None of those things are deal breakers since I can make zero clearance inserts and I have an Incra mitre gauge and I'm sure I can find some wrenches for the arbor.

Also, the switch was located to the right of the blade (see in attached pic) which I thought was a bit strange. No biggie.

I also noticed the blade was very worn and when at slow speed you could see the blade wobbling noticeably. I think the blade is just shot and probably needs to be aligned. Since I didn’t have wrenches, I couldn’t take it off to set it on the table to see if it’s warped.

My plan is to bring some wrenches and a blade I know is true when I go to pick it up, and check that all before I hand over the money. Is this an okay check of the arbor? I don’t have any gauges or anything to check it to the .000000X”.

This saw was used in a small millwork shop that I don't think lasted too long. The seller who has the saw hired a carpenter to run the shop and the carpenter ordered all the tools, and the seller kep the TS after the shop closed. Therefore, the seller hasn't used it since and doesn't really know anything about it.

Oh, and I didn't even check but is this a right or left tilt saw? Based on my Delta where the tilt adjustment is on the left, I would guess it is the same as the Delta I have.

Any comments would be appreciated.

John Thompson
02-05-2009, 3:46 PM
My experience with Bridgewood is this:.... I have an industrial floor mortiser that weighs around 600 pounds and is the exact morticer as Grizzly's Indutrial model for $2100 except the motor on the BW is one phase and 1 HP as opposed to 2 phase and 3 HP. All parts inter-change with the Griz with the exception of the motor. Fantastic machine...

I have a York-craft 20" planer which was also sold by Bridgewood and Curt Wilke. It was the last one he had when going out of business and I paid $1000 for it. Every part inter-changes with the Grizzly 20" as they are the same planer.. different color. Great planer and I have run thousands of board feet through it.

I cannot comment on the TS as I have not used nor seen it in person. But... I will say at $350 how could you go wrong? If it were close to me I would grab it for resale as that is about what you would pay for a used contractor saw. From what I saw in the picture this is a cabinet model and I can tell you Curt was getting his machines from most of the same plants as Grizzly.. Shop-fox.. with a few coming from Gee-tech in Taiwan which makes the Sawstop.

Grab it before someone else does if it is mechanically OK. But do check that first to avoid any large $$ issues.

Sarge..

Matt Day
02-05-2009, 4:20 PM
Thanks a lot John, that is encouraging to hear!

Thinking about it some more, this is a right-tilt machine based on where the arbor was when I was checking out the blade wobble. I didn't notice it was reverse of my Delta until just now. I've never used a right tilt, but I rarely use the tilt function at all and when I do I'll put the fence to the left of the blade. I don't think it's a deal breaker.

Any more comments would be appreciated!

Jim O'Dell
02-05-2009, 4:43 PM
Tilt adjust wheel on the left side of the saw, definately a right tilt arbor. Jim.

Matt Day
02-05-2009, 5:08 PM
Maybe you mean definitely on Bridgewood machines (and some others), but my Delta Hybrid is a left tilt with the tilt adjust wheel on the left.

Jim O'Dell
02-05-2009, 5:32 PM
Really? I've never seen that. Is your Delta an older unit? I've not played with the older units at all if so. Learn something new every day!! JIm.

Matt Day
02-05-2009, 5:50 PM
Nope, it's a relatively new (3 years or so) 1.75HP Hybrid.

John Thompson
02-05-2009, 8:52 PM
Matt.. as I stated, I am not familar with the TS itself. I have the mortiser and 20" planer.. their PBS series band-saw is made by the same source that was doing Laguna and it a great BS. So.. you still need to know more about the TS.

I suggest you call Curt Wilke at C. H. Wilke, Inc. tomorrow after you Google for his web-site which is more or least complete now for his new company.. Tell him what TS and he can tell you detail... detail.. detail as he know his machinery.. period. Also ask about parts for that TS as Curt has about 80% of Bridgewood parts on hand for what he did carry at the former Wille Machinery Co.

Good luck...

Sarge..