PDA

View Full Version : Looking for New Product Idea's for Lasering

Robert Gauntt
02-04-2009, 7:51 PM
I have an Eplilog 45 Watt Legend 36EXT. I have been in business for 2 years and have lasered stone (marble & granite), laser tile, wooden plaques, converting scroll saw patterns to vector cutting for wild life silouettes and collector plates. We have done memorials, glasses, plastics. I am looking for new idea's to try.
If anyone out there has any idea's that I can try, I would appreciate it. You can visit our website at etchedinstone4you.com to check out some of the products we offer.
Let me know your imput. Thanks, Bob

Frank Corker
02-04-2009, 9:05 PM
Hey Bob that really is some nice stuff that you have there, nice website too. I think that you are actually probably doing more than most people are doing already. The only thing that you haven't mentioned there is rubber stamps and material. I think it has to be down to your customer requirements. Incidently the clipart that you are using is really nice.

Mike Null
02-04-2009, 9:14 PM
Robert

Great looking website. Especially the gunstocks.

Sorry to remove the link but our rules do not permit the OP to post his own links.

Dave Johnson29
02-05-2009, 8:52 AM
Sorry to remove the link but our rules do not permit the OP to post his own links.

Hey Mike,

That's not fair. :D:D

You peeked then removed the link. :)

Can I remind Bob that he can add his "Home Page" to his Profile then we can all get a peek.

Scott Shepherd
02-05-2009, 8:53 AM
Dave, it's in there, read his first post. It's just not a link.

Dave Johnson29
02-05-2009, 9:04 AM
Dave, it's in there, read his first post. It's just not a link.

DUH!! {slapping forehead and rolling eyes} :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry Mike.

Thanks Scott, I blame old age and not enough coffee for the day yet.

Thanks

I can get to see anything. Using Firefox I get a black marble page and using IE I get a beige marbled page with the comment from IE, "Done but with errors in the page."

Richard Rumancik
02-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Very nice work, Robert. The site loaded fine for me.

Robert Gauntt
02-06-2009, 8:26 PM
Hey Bob that really is some nice stuff that you have there, nice website too. I think that you are actually probably doing more than most people are doing already. The only thing that you haven't mentioned there is rubber stamps and material. I think it has to be down to your customer requirements. Incidently the clipart that you are using is really nice.
Frank,
Thanks for the positive feed back. Everyone seems to like what they see. I just would like to see them "buy". Keep me in mind.
Bob

Robert Gauntt
02-06-2009, 8:28 PM
Robert

Great looking website. Especially the gunstocks.

Mike,
Sorry, didn't realize I couldn't post my website. How can I post it (legally)?

Robert Gauntt
02-06-2009, 8:30 PM
Hey Mike,

That's not fair. :D:D

You peeked then removed the link. :)

Can I remind Bob that he can add his "Home Page" to his Profile then we can all get a peek.
Hi Dave,
Sorry you couldn't see the website. Haven't heard from anyone that they could not view before. Do you have RoadRunner or something like that? Anyway, thanks for your humor. Bob

Robert Gauntt
02-06-2009, 8:34 PM
Very nice work, Robert. The site loaded fine for me.
Richard,
Thanks for the positive comment.

Bob

Jackie McGowan
02-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Robert,
Really nice work! I especially like the stuff you have under your specials tab. The Dolphin one is awesome, at first I actually thought that the metal and wood were real and I thought just the center was the granite, then I took a second look and realized the whole thing is etched right? WOW it really pops. They say ready to hang, can I ask what you are using on the back to hang something this heavy? I noticed your sort of in my neck of the woods too :) (I'm about 10 miles north of West Point)

bob pfohler
02-07-2009, 4:43 AM
Wow, really nice stuff! I've never done that type of work, mostly I do signs. Are you using Photograv to achieve a high quality image like those?

Trevor Watson
02-07-2009, 8:17 AM
Been doing alot of shells for a customer down the road from me she makes these into wearable jewelry, small shells with Japanese Symbols on them like love friendship and that sort of deal to bigger shells with photograved images on them. Thing about shells is once lasered the lasered area becomes porous and liquid Skuff stuff or other types of boot polish can be rubbed onto the shell then the excess removed from the shell. Only the porous area retains the nugget looks fantastic will take some pictures of the next batch.. Just a thought and a different type of gift idea.

Trevor Watson

Dave Johnson29
02-07-2009, 8:50 AM
Sorry you couldn't see the website.

Hi Bob,

Adobe strikes again. I downloaded the latest Flash player 10.something.something :) and I got to see it. Nice stuff.

Mike Null
02-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Robert

In the user control panel under edit your details you have several options. Among them are email and homepage. You can list your site there then when people click on your name they can see your contact info and view your website.

AL Ursich
02-08-2009, 3:50 PM
Again, nice website.

I didn't see anyone mention laser engraving the back of mirrors then color filling.... You can do many colors just adjust your artwork and laser right over the painted parts for other colors....

So laser and area and spray or brush... Dry.... Laser another color....

AL

Kal Robinson
02-09-2009, 3:39 AM
Looked at your site...very impressive. You do fantastic work. I have really started playing with color-filling corian and it has really boosted sales. You can start out like I did by getting drop off from the local cabinet shop or I put some for sale in the classifieds. Regardless of where you get it, you really need to try it. You won't be disappointed. PM me and I'll give you the skinny...I don't want to bore everyone with what little I know.

Steve Clarkson
02-09-2009, 7:09 AM
Kal, some of us know less than you......so please.....bore us! A few pics of your Corian projects would be nice to see too.

Patrick Bauer
02-09-2009, 5:37 PM
Bob:

Great stuff. I am a teacher at Spoto High School and we have a 35 watt Epilog mini. I'm looking for some inexpensive projects for my students to try, and love the black marble and granite as well as the ceramic tile...now that's something I can actually afford for my students.

The school district provided the Adobe creative suite 2 for us to use, and I'm wanting to explore how I can use a combination of Photoshop, Illustrator, and the laser to do the same stuff you are doing on granite, marble, and ceramic tile. Can you direct me to a source, or might I call you to discuss techniques you are using?

Thanks,
Patrick Bauer
Spoto High School
Riverview, Florida

Ray Mighells
02-09-2009, 6:23 PM
I have been blocked from Robert Gauntt's Gallery as not having permission. How does one gain permission?

AL Ursich
02-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I use the Carvewright for V Carving but I mentioned doing Mirrors the other day. I had a thought seeing this post about doing COLOR

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10342

I thought it could apply to the Laser as it would be possible to laser the back of a mirror. Using a paint shop program with the picture that was lasered overlay with paint on a seperate layer colors of the objects not being careful and over spraying the color.

You then print the color layer on to a Overhead Transparency and place it behind the mirror and use a light source like LED's to illuminate the artwork on the mirror.....

I must give credit where credit is due to the CarveWright user for the idea.

AL:D

Steve Clarkson
02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Al,

Have you ever done one of these?

AL Ursich
02-10-2009, 2:10 PM
Al,

Have you ever done one of these?

Sorry to say No on the Mirror or Corian yet. The Wood Signs and Fire Tags have me busy. But I have some Fire Shows in April and May and want to explore the Mirrors and Corian as well as Edge Lit Acrylic with Strip LED's.

SO many projects SO little time...:eek:

AL

At lunch I was thinking that I could also print color on a Sublimation Clear MATE and use the glue backing to apply it directly to the back of the mirror. Something worth exploring.

Frank Corker
02-10-2009, 4:59 PM
I have been blocked from Robert Gauntt's Gallery as not having permission. How does one gain permission?

Ray, the site is done using flash so it will be your internet explorer that is stopping you from viewing it. You need to relax the security settings by clicking on Tools and choosing options/security/internet.

Frank Corker
02-10-2009, 5:01 PM
....I'm wanting to explore how I can use a combination of Photoshop, Illustrator, and the laser to do the same stuff you are doing on granite, marble, and ceramic tile. Can you direct me to a source, or might I call you to discuss techniques you are using?

Patrick, search the forum using the 'Search' at the top of the page. Search for the 'Gold Method' and or 'alternatives to photgrav'. All of your questions have already been answered on this website. I would suggest you don't take the shortcut route but read through all of the posts, you will learn much more than any handbook will ever tell you.

Robert Gauntt
02-10-2009, 5:05 PM
Robert,
Really nice work! I especially like the stuff you have under your specials tab. The Dolphin one is awesome, at first I actually thought that the metal and wood were real and I thought just the center was the granite, then I took a second look and realized the whole thing is etched right? WOW it really pops. They say ready to hang, can I ask what you are using on the back to hang something this heavy? I noticed your sort of in my neck of the woods too :) (I'm about 10 miles north of West Point)
Hi Jackie,

Thanks for your positive comments. The photo's of these pieces really don't do them justice. They are beautiful! Yes, they are etched on the granite, then hand stained. We use an epoxy gel adhesive. It is a 2 component epoxy called Chemorset 100G. We had a machine shop make us a stainless steel hanger. One is epoxyed to the back of the granite the other gets screwed to a stud in your wall.
Bob

Robert Gauntt
02-10-2009, 5:11 PM
Hi Ray,
There is no pictures in my gallery. The images they are referring to are from my website. My website is listed on my Home Page. If you need help getting there, let me know.
Bob

Robert Gauntt
02-10-2009, 5:12 PM
Hi Bob,

Adobe strikes again. I downloaded the latest Flash player 10.something.something :) and I got to see it. Nice stuff.
Thanks Dave. Glad you finally got the chance to get there.
Bob

Robert Gauntt
02-10-2009, 5:13 PM
Robert

In the user control panel under edit your details you have several options. Among them are email and homepage. You can list your site there then when people click on your name they can see your contact info and view your website.
Thanks Mike. We did finally make it there.
Bob

Dave Johnson29
02-10-2009, 5:13 PM
the site is done using flash so it will be your internet explorer that is stopping you from viewing it. You need to relax the security settings by clicking on Tools and choosing options/security/internet.

Hi Frank,

I think Ray is trying to use the Gallery under Robert's Profile drop-down which returns "you do not have permission to access this page" for me too.

Ray: You need Robert's website which he mentions in the original post. If you put...

www. etchedinstone4you.com

into the URL address line of your browser then remove the space between the "www." and "etch" then hit Enter. Your browser will also need the latest Flash versions. I could not see that site until I upgraded to the latest Flash version 10.xx.xx

We are not permitted to use full URLs to our own websites in the TOS so the space in the above URL will get around that issue. Well I HOPE I am not crossing boundaries. :D

Robert Gauntt
02-10-2009, 5:17 PM
Wow, really nice stuff! I've never done that type of work, mostly I do signs. Are you using Photograv to achieve a high quality image like those?
Hi Bob,
Yes, Photograv is one of the softwares I use.
Thanks for your positive comments
Bob

Robert Gauntt
02-10-2009, 5:22 PM
Looked at your site...very impressive. You do fantastic work. I have really started playing with color-filling corian and it has really boosted sales. You can start out like I did by getting drop off from the local cabinet shop or I put some for sale in the classifieds. Regardless of where you get it, you really need to try it. You won't be disappointed. PM me and I'll give you the skinny...I don't want to bore everyone with what little I know.
Kal,
I think Steve might be right here. Lets show them to all. Send us some photo's.
Thanks, Bob