PDA

View Full Version : Curly maple w/pics - need your opinion

John Keeton
02-04-2009, 7:22 PM
I am considering a purchase of 200 bd ft of this kiln dried maple at $2.50, but want some thoughts as to the cost vs. quality. It is not as tight as I would like, but it seems to be nice wood for the price. Surfaced thickness is 15/16 and it is surfaced two sides, although the pics are of a s4s piece. I would have preferred rough, but not an option at this point.

What are your thoughts - is the price OK for the quality? Would I be better off waiting for something better - even at a higher price?

I am currently starting a walnut hutch, but I do have a desire to use some of the maple in a project in the near future.

David Christopher
02-04-2009, 7:27 PM
John, I think thats a good price for what I see in the picture

David DeCristoforo
02-04-2009, 7:31 PM
I would buy that curly maple for $2.50 a foot without even thinking about it. It might not be the "tightest" figure you will ever find but it's still awesome figure and usually curly hard maple of that quality sells for upwards of 8-10 bucks a foot.

James Hart
02-04-2009, 7:33 PM
John,

I think your responses will vary by region of the country.

If I picked up 200 BF of that for $500 in AZ I would be posting a gloat right now. Big time.

I imagine quality wood is more affordable and plentiful in Kentucky, considering you have trees and all.

Jim

Dave Avery
02-04-2009, 7:52 PM
Buy it.......

Dan Lee
02-04-2009, 7:57 PM
Jeez I pay more for run of the mill maple

Joe Jensen
02-04-2009, 8:06 PM
Buy it, I live in AZ and plain maple is nearly $4 a bd foot wholesale here

Bruce Page
02-04-2009, 8:09 PM
Jeez I pay more for run of the mill maple

Ditto here too.
That is crazy curly by NM standards!

Robert Chapman
02-04-2009, 8:29 PM
We grow that stuff here and I pay more than $2.20 / bd. ft. for it here - buy it - and more if you can get it and store it.

Don Bullock
02-04-2009, 8:41 PM
John,

I think your responses will vary by region of the country.

If I picked up 200 BF of that for $500 in AZ I would be posting a gloat right now. Big time.

I imagine quality wood is more affordable and plentiful in Kentucky, considering you have trees and all.

Jim

I agree with Jim. I haven't seen boards with figure that good here in Southern California at any price. I suspect if I could find some the price would be well over $10 per BF.:eek:

lou sansone
02-04-2009, 8:47 PM
this looks like soft maple that tends to have more of a lazy curl than hard maple. it looks decent to me. I would buy it

lou

Ron Bontz
02-04-2009, 8:48 PM
yep. BUY BUY BUY. Unless of course you would like to bring it by my house and I'll buy it.:)

Jason Stein
02-04-2009, 8:59 PM
I pay $4.50 bf for average, ordinary maple. I can't even get poplar for $2.50.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-04-2009, 9:00 PM
Good greif man, thats what I have to pay for poplar! Buy it!

Dewey Torres
02-04-2009, 9:01 PM
Get it before someone else does!

John Keeton
02-04-2009, 9:35 PM
Thanks guys for the affirmation. I felt it was a decent buy, but wanted assurances from others.

Lou, I have not seen the wood in person, but I do believe it is soft maple. The wood is coming from a hardwood supplier in south central KY. They have a variety of kiln dried s3s lumber - most at pretty decent prices. I think this is the last of the curly maple, but if anyone is interested in the info, PM me.

I am really conservative in what I will pay for wood. I don't use a lot - yet - and I buy it when I can find it cheap and store it as Robert says.

And James, yes we do seem to have good prices on wood locally from what I have seen on SMC.

David DeCristoforo
02-04-2009, 9:59 PM
"...I do believe it is soft maple..."

If it is, that is some gorgeous soft maple. I've seen figure like that in soft maple but rarely that nice a color. If it all looks that good... buy it!

george wilson
02-04-2009, 10:03 PM
That is very nice wood at several times the price.It looks like hard sugar maple with that nice creamy color. Softer maple usually has a grayish color to it. That's what you more often find in the South (the gray maple.) I like smaller curls,too,but that's a cheap price,as nice as you see on many top line Gibson guitars.

Frank Drew
02-05-2009, 1:17 AM
I agree with David and George that if that's soft maple then it's the nicest I've ever seen; from the pictures I would have guessed sugar maple.

James Williams 007
02-05-2009, 3:28 AM
Buy it I pay between 4.50 and 9 a Bd ft in GA.

Craig T. Smith
02-05-2009, 4:56 AM
John, It sounds like a decent deal to me. I sent a PM to you(I think I did it right). I live in central Ky. also so I would appreciate any info on sources I can get. Thanks, Craig

Wilbur Pan
02-05-2009, 7:23 AM
I am considering a purchase of 200 bd ft of this kiln dried maple at $2.50, but want some thoughts as to the cost vs. quality. It is not as tight as I would like, but it seems to be nice wood for the price.

Hi John,

I'm going to be a bit of a naysayer here, because of how you phrased this comment. There are many things you can do to a board to make it serve your purpose. But increasing the tightness of the curl isn't one of them, unless you have some superpower that we don't know about. (Wouldn't it be great to be able to change plain maple into curly maple?) ;)

The way I would look at it is, if the figure of this wood isn't what you would like it to be, would that keep you from using it in a project? If you can conceivably imagine using this wood at some point, then it's a great deal. But if you wind up using this wood in an heirloom project, and you end up looking at it and find that you keep saying, "I wish I had found a board with tighter curl for this," then it wasn't a bargain at all.

John Keeton
02-05-2009, 7:49 AM
Wilbur, you are on top of it!! That is exactly the thought process I was going through. But in the end, I decided to go ahead with this purchase because of the mass consensus that it was worth the price. It will be fine in the right application.

I will store this wood, and use it in a future project. But, I will still (and always!) be on the lookout for other wood, and, in particular, some really nice curly maple.

While my storage space is not unlimited, I still have room for more wood. So, I think I will add this to the "inventory." I do appreciate your comments though - you have a practical approach to many things. Thanks.

Jim Kountz
02-05-2009, 8:02 AM
I pay $4.50 bf for average, ordinary maple. I can't even get poplar for $2.50.

You California guys couldnt use this stuff anyway, it wont pass your emissions test!!:D:D

John, good wood, good price I wouldnt hesitate!!

Daren K Nelson
02-05-2009, 8:11 AM
Steal it...I mean buy it :o. That is a cheaper than I would ever sell it for.

John Keeton
02-05-2009, 8:41 AM
You California guys couldnt use this stuff anyway, it wont pass your emissions test!!:D:D

John, good wood, good price I wouldnt hesitate!!
Jim, it would be the occasional reference to "flame" maple that would raise the red flag to the California regulators! Anything that volatile just wouldn't fly:rolleyes:

David Keller NC
02-05-2009, 10:54 AM
"I am really conservative in what I will pay for wood. I don't use a lot - yet - and I buy it when I can find it cheap and store it as Robert says."

John - Everyone loves a bargain, and I'm just the same as the next guy, but I think your thoughts will change as you get further into this. It simply does not make sense to spend 300+ hours on a drop-lid desk, and have a glaring glue-up for the desk lid panel because you could get the narrower stock a lot more cheaply.

Generally speaking, the wood for an average project represents less than 20% of the cost, with the exception of construction-type items like flooring and paneling.

That said, if the boards have that figure consistently and throughout all of each board, that's a decent bargain, though not such a steal if it's narrow stock (less than 6"). If the figure is random, doesn't exist in a fair amount of each board (like only on the end), or a substantial fraction of the stock is less than 6", this explains the price in your area. Stock less than 6" wide cannot be graded FAS, regardless of the clarity (no knots) or figure. Another explanation of the price is if the boards are all "shorts" - less than 6' long.

I'm certainly not saying "don't buy it", but there's usually a reason why things are priced the way they are. It's correct to say that 12" wide, tight, consistent curl in soft maple is worth more in the $10 a b.f. range, but this type of wood is exceptionally rare. Because the curl is almost exclusively on the outside of the tree, it takes a very large maple tree to yield a good deal of 12" + wide boards, and they are consequently far more rare than curly 6-8" wide boards, and the price is consequently far higher.

george wilson
02-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I just paid $2.50 a bd. ft. for yellow pine sfs shelving wood. Not many knots,but it ain't curly maple !!!

Joe Chritz
02-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Better than what I could get here for anywhere near that price. I would pay that for straight maple so buying it would have been a no brainer for me.

Maybe in your area it is cheaper but that will make some fine projects.

Joe

Mark Roderick
02-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Where I live in southern New Jersey, that is a GREAT price for that wood. In fact, I recently paid several times that amount for curly maple that looks about identical.

Chris Padilla
02-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Is this a stealth gloat, John, and you are just stringing us along? C'mon, 'fess up!!

:D

John Keeton
02-05-2009, 12:53 PM
[quote=David Keller NC;1042648]It simply does not make sense to spend 300+ hours on a drop-lid desk, and have a glaring glue-up for the desk lid panel because you could get the narrower stock a lot more cheaply.

Generally speaking, the wood for an average project represents less than 20% of the cost, with the exception of construction-type items like flooring and paneling.[quote]
David, I certainly agree with you on this. When I am looking for wood, I don't want to buy junk. But, since this is a hobby for me, I have the luxury of just saying no if the price is not extremely inviting. I do have a good bit of wood stored up - enough to carry me through several projects. And, at the ripe old age of 60, I have become very good at just saying no and walking away. As they say, the good Lord grows more wood every day.

As I posted earlier, I have not actually seen this wood, but understand it to be 6-8" wide, and the lengths are 8-12'. The pics posted are said to be "representative" of the least curly of the lot.

I am meeting the fellow Saturday to take delivery if all is as stated. Hopefully, (Chris) this turns into a gloat:D

If not, then I will either have no wood at all, or have made a decision to purchase less than fantastic wood at a still fair price - still not sure where I will fall on that one!

I will follow up with the results of my efforts - with pics if appropriate.

Harry Hagan
02-05-2009, 1:29 PM
John,

Here's a link to an exceptional website for a supplier 50 miles north of Louisville. It's a great resource for information on hardwoods and also helpful in determining whether "local" sources are a good value.

http://tinytimbers.com/home.html

Thomas S Stockton
02-05-2009, 1:52 PM
John
If that represents the lower end of curly you're in for a treat. With 200 bdft I don't think you will have any problem finding enough material for the surfaces that matter the most and 6 to 8" widths is a generally a good size for curly material. Looks like it is 4/4 are you getting anything thicker for legs and other things that need to be thicker?
Tom

Stan Urbas
02-05-2009, 6:31 PM
Curly maple looks wonderful to me - I buy it in a second! The only thing I'd add is that if you haven't worked it before you might be surprised at the amount of chip-out you get trying to plane it. I only use a carbide spiral cutterhead on mine.

John Keeton
02-05-2009, 9:05 PM
I hate to keep updating when I have no more tangible proof of a purchase, but this is where it is right now. I promise more pics this weekend.

I spoke again with the brother who is the one in charge of the operation. He stated he actually had two separate lots. One lot is what he calls "moderate to heavy curl" and the pics posted here are what he would call moderate. He has 3-400' of that left which he would sell at $2.25/ft.

Then, he has 270' of "heavy to extreme curl" at $2.50/ft. We have agreed on a purchase of that lot and I will take delivery Saturday morning. There is a possible drawback (or could be a benefit??) The wood is S2S and has been sanded to 13/16". I am not sure how I feel about that. It avoids the tear out problem, but if there is any roughness, I don't have much room to work with.

Stan, I have worked several times in the past with curly maple in building longrifles, but not much in flatwork. And Harry, thanks for the link - neat website!

Obviously, I am anxious to see what I am getting. If, in fact, it is considerably better than the pics (which he assures me) then it will be a gloat for sure.

I declined buying any of the other - simply from a cost vs. need decision. But, it still seems to be a good deal at $2.25.

Anyone want to make a trip to KY? He wants to move the other lot quickly.

Justin Dreier
02-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I am considering a purchase of 200 bd ft of this kiln dried maple at $2.50, but want some thoughts as to the cost vs. quality. It is not as tight as I would like, but it seems to be nice wood for the price. Surfaced thickness is 15/16 and it is surfaced two sides, although the pics are of a s4s piece. I would have preferred rough, but not an option at this point.

What are your thoughts - is the price OK for the quality? Would I be better off waiting for something better - even at a higher price?

I am currently starting a walnut hutch, but I do have a desire to use some of the maple in a project in the near future.

John, at that price and at that level of curl, your teasing a few of us. In the range of $6bf. Buy all you can get at that curl and that price.

David Keller NC
02-06-2009, 10:03 AM
"The wood is S2S and has been sanded to 13/16". I am not sure how I feel about that. It avoids the tear out problem, but if there is any roughness, I don't have much room to work with."

John - I'd call this a drawback. Curly maple isn't just a description of the figure - it tends to move quite a bit with humidity changes. Still, if you're going to be building things like boxes and humidors, 13/16" will yield some decent 1/2" thick flat boards after surface planing and jointing. That also helps explain the price - a lot of WWs that build furniture would pass it up, regardless of figure, because you just can't get sufficient thickness for most furniture parts.

The comment about saving money on wood wasn't necessarily a critique - I've lucked into old-growth eastern white pine, 25" wide sawn 5/4 for $3 a b.f. - I bought all that was available. But I have seen guys with $50,000 in shop equipment glue five 6" wide boards together to get a panel 26" wide for a desktop, and out of mahogany no less. I could understand that if it was a species like ebony that typically isn't available in widths over 6", but mahogany? The answer I got was "it was a really good deal". What a shame.

Allen Tomaszek
02-06-2009, 10:19 AM
I'd buy it at that price. Geography does play a small role in the price as our Left Coast friends can attest but even in Kentucky that's a good price. Here in Wisconsin I sell curly maple for $5-$8bf depending on grade, figure and width. Nice find and good luck with your purchase.

Lee Hingle
02-06-2009, 1:35 PM
John,
That's fair curl (not close to heavy by my standards) but I agree with David Keller that current thickness is a drawback. The good news is you could sell it and at least make all of your money back to other creekers. Or you could use it up on a paint grade job.

Good luck,

Lee

Dave Lehnert
02-06-2009, 1:53 PM

I think you are trying to rub it in. LOL!!!
Around here you can't buy popular for that price.

John Keeton
02-06-2009, 2:31 PM
Dave, you are only an hour and half away! Come on down - dinner is on me!

I plan to get a pic of the "moderate to heavy" tomorrow morning. I can post it and if you are interested in some of the remaining maple, I will be glad to help arrange it - and that goes for others as well. Maybe get a group buy together and see if we can negotiate an even better deal??

As I posted earlier, the pics are purportedly the "moderate", and at $2.25/ft., it may be worth the effort. We will know more tomorrow;)

Dave Lehnert
02-06-2009, 2:52 PM
Dave, you are only an hour and half away! Come on down - dinner is on me!

I plan to get a pic of the "moderate to heavy" tomorrow morning. I can post it and if you are interested in some of the remaining maple, I will be glad to help arrange it - and that goes for others as well. Maybe get a group buy together and see if we can negotiate an even better deal??

As I posted earlier, the pics are purportedly the "moderate", and at $2.25/ft., it may be worth the effort. We will know more tomorrow;)

It has been some time ago but use to make a trip to Morehead KY to Globe Hardwoods and pick up cherry lumber.

Curt Taylor
02-06-2009, 3:52 PM
Very good price @2.50. Buy it and enjoy!

Fred Voorhees
02-06-2009, 7:17 PM
I would definitely snag it up.

Prashun Patel
03-10-2009, 8:30 AM
John, I've been following this post. What happened? Was the haul as good as the sample pix?

Quite beautiful. Jeez, I just paid an arm and a leg (after bargaining) for about 5BF of curly hard maple that isn't as tight as whatchoo got.

John Keeton
03-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Shawn, this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=103881&highlight=CURLY+MAPLE) was the follow up thread! Turned out to be not quite as good, but the price got considerably better.