PDA

View Full Version : Best latch for inset doors

Craig D Peltier
02-04-2009, 6:45 PM
Looking for ideas for a latch that will keep the doors from folding inwards. I have 5 sets and 1 set of pocket doors. The doors will have handles.
Two of the doors are slightly warped so I was thinking ( non push) magnet to keep them drawn in flush with frame.
Is it acceptable to have a magnet on the bottom and top? Or just top and blocks of wood down below? Theres also those male/female clips that might work.
Anything else for options or opinions?
Its on a built in.

Josiah Bartlett
02-04-2009, 7:12 PM
Magnets top and bottom do a good job but it may require more force to open the doors than you like. To reduce this force you can mount them more toward the hinge ends of things, or use blocks of wood. I put blocks of wood top and bottom on the last builtin I did, then used cabinet key locks in the middle for latches. You can inset rare earth magnets into the blocks if you don't like the look of the magnetic catch hardware.

Peter Quinn
02-04-2009, 7:42 PM
To keep doors from opening into the case I usually design stops into either the top or bottom of the case with inset doors. Often the panel that forms the bottom will be designed to be proud of the FF 3/16" to act as the door stop. It might be easier or less obtrusive to add an interior stop at the top on a case already built. Good place to hide a rare earth magnet from the back too. I have screwed them from the inside at the top to the FF if there is clearance on retrofits. I like ball catches for inset doors, not sure if they will hold a warped door in place, or if magnets will either. I assume you mean for butt hinges? Blum makes FF cup hinges for inset doors with a blumotion option if you are using euro hardware.

I'd guess if the door is really warped you may need stops at the top and bottom to pull it in if you can't cheat its fit a bit during installation, sort of divide the error over all four corners to trick the eye?

Jeff Wright
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Bullet catches make a refined method of keeping inset doors closed. They won't do much to correct a warped door. Maybe the best approach is remake the door??

Here is link to bullet catches. I use 7/16 diameter catches:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=40483&cat=3,41399,41404