PDA

View Full Version : Threading wood

Dahl Troy Perry
02-04-2009, 6:03 PM
My sister wants me to make her this peice that is 2" dia 6" long that has caps that thread on to hold nitting needles for socks. Is there a easy way to thread wood or how would you do this ? I've pushed my red easy button but that did not help:D:D

Dahl

Jeff Nicol
02-04-2009, 6:09 PM
Dahl, She has asked you to do something that is not real easy to do. You can learn how to do it by hand or buy/build a threading jig. I built my own and posted pics of it on SMC a few weeks ago. There are a few that you can buy but cost $200-$300. Here is where I posted pictures it also goes into other threading jigs, one by Bonnie Klien.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102745

Jeff

Wyatt Holm
02-04-2009, 6:42 PM
You can learn hand thread chasing, but that can take a little while. You have to have a lathe that can go slow enough, and your wood has to be dense enough to thread. I have tried it once, the internal thread was easy but the external I struggled with. I few hours of playing with it I could probably figure it out. The main reason I don't do it is the price of the chasers. If someone has built their own chaser I wold like to know how they did it.

Reed Gray
02-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Instead of chasing threads, I have seen people take sections of threaded plastic pipe and insert them into the lid and base of a box. Other than that, you hand chase which is difficult, or get a threading set up. I got one and a mini lathe to use with it because it would have been very difficult to adapt to my big lathe. It will pay for itself in about another 6 months. Of course, I do sell stuff.
robo hippy

Bill O'Conner
02-05-2009, 5:10 PM
I thought I had seen some that would work just needed to find them again
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=packard&Product_Code=154917&Category_Code=Proj-supp-other-tr
only thing is they are only 1 1/2 inches

Bill

Leo Van Der Loo
02-05-2009, 5:33 PM
Dahl threading is not easy to do, but there are treading setups you can build, still quite involved, I'll add a link to a site that shows the pieces you'd need to make to do it or else you have learn to do hand chasing thread, that's a long struggle to learn.
The easiest way is to get some threaded pieces you can incorporate into the turning, copper brass plastic treaded parts come in many sizes, and you could glue them into your piece, good luck :-))

http://www.atbq.qc.ca/jm2/

Paul Engle
02-05-2009, 7:26 PM
Yea box rings from WWS in Utah work very well and is quick and easy, acutally anything with a screw cap and the right size diam can be cut to fit . sometimes just wandering thru the hardware borg( plumbing, electrical etc) can give you ideas and keep the cost down to under the price of a new car .....hobby shops like Ben Franklin etc can have stuff you can modify for a screw and cap inset into a spindle/ lid~cap you turn. Like lamp tubes with screw on finals . cut the thread part off the tube -drill hole in piece of wood -epoxy the thread in and turn the wood, the tube final can be glued into a drilled hole in some wood and turned to match the spindle part ...bigger tube + bigger cap same deal , brass pipe and cap in plumbing etc + 8$ .