PDA

View Full Version : Timber Wolf blade sizes for G0513X2 bandsaw

Tri Hoang
02-04-2009, 5:48 PM
Giving that the Suffolk people are offering 4 blades for the price of 3. What are the sizes you find most useful? Does anyone use 1" tw blade on their G0513X2?

I mostly want to re-saw, tenons, and dovetails...with a little bit of curved work.

Tim Malyszko
02-04-2009, 5:51 PM
Your best bet is to call Suffolk and tell them exactly what you want to do and they will spec the proper blades for your saw. That's what I did and it worked out great because I got exactly what I needed. They are excellent to work with.

John Keeton
02-04-2009, 7:14 PM
I have the 513x2 and use Timberwolf blades and have been very satisfied. For resaw, I use the 3/4", but I have read the experience of others that say the 1/2" would do fine. I have no complaints with mine, and it cuts through large stock easily. I wouldn't see a need for the 1 inch.

I did the 4 for 3, and wish I could tell you which ones, but I do recall talking with Suffolk and they were very helpful. Honestly, I leave the 1/4" on my saw 99% of the time. I believe it is 3 or 4 tpi. Their website is very helpful, too. http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

Brian Kent
02-04-2009, 8:14 PM
Their website is helpful, but all of their fine customer service is over the phone. I have always had great response to phonecalls, but no responses to e-mails. Once I learned that, I just start with the phone.;)

Barry Vabeach
02-04-2009, 8:42 PM
Tri, while the saw accepts a 1 inch, I bought one ( a Lennox bimetal ) but I find it a true pain to put it on and off, and I have read one inch isn't much better than a 1/2 or 3/4, everything else being the same. I have no troubles getting the 1/2 inch on and off, and routed around the bearings.

Anthony Whitesell
02-04-2009, 10:00 PM
I got in on the same deal. I got a 1/4" 14tpi , 1/2" 6tpi, 1/2" 4tpi, and a 3/4" 3 tpi 0.032" thick (atleast I think those are the tpi for each blade)

I have found myself using the 1/2" 6tpi mostly. I tried the 3/4" 3 tpi 0.032" thick raight after I got the saw setup with the stock blade. I found it took a ton of tension to get it to stop fluttering (off the tensioning scale). The cut was not as impressive as I expected, it was good but not impressive. I wouldn't recommend getting the 3/4" 0.032" for use on the G0513x2. I think it's too heavy of a blade for the tensioning spring in the machine. Someday I'd like to try the Timberwolf 3/4" 0.025" or a Highland 3/4" Woodslicer.

jerry nazard
02-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Tri,

I messed with a few blades before settling on the 1/2" 3 tpi. 90% of the work I do on this saw involves cutting straight lines and resawing. The 1/2" blade is great. It will resaw 11" white oak with no problems.

-Jerry

Tri Hoang
02-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks, everyone. It looks like 1/8", 1/4", and 2 x 1/2" is a good start. I am looking forward to try it on the G0513X2. I bite the bullet and upgraded to this from my current not so great Rigid 14".

glenn bradley
02-04-2009, 11:17 PM
I also run a 3/4" but the 1/2" does just fine as well. The smallest I have run is 1/4" which works just great but I picked up a small bandsaw that I use for smaller stuff so I haven't even opened a couple of the 1/4".

Al Navas
02-05-2009, 8:56 AM
Giving that the Suffolk people are offering 4 blades for the price of 3. What are the sizes you find most useful? Does anyone use 1" tw blade on their G0513X2?

I mostly want to re-saw, tenons, and dovetails...with a little bit of curved work.
Tri,

The Timberwolf 1/8-inch blade on my 17-inch Grizzly does a wonderful job with really curvy cuts. But it does require the use of the Carter stabilizer. Just a thought - it feels almost like using a scroll saw.

Tri Hoang
02-05-2009, 9:31 AM
One of these days I am going to attempt handcut dovetails (have seen Rob Cosman video many times) like John did.

For now I'll rely on my bandsaw. Al, without the Carter stabilizer, do you think that blade can cut short (3/8-1/2") straight line? I mainly want to use the 1/8" to cut out dovetail waste.

Paul Johnstone
02-05-2009, 9:42 AM
Your best bet is to call Suffolk and tell them exactly what you want to do and they will spec the proper blades for your saw. That's what I did and it worked out great because I got exactly what I needed. They are excellent to work with.

+1...

Call them up and say exactly what you said in your post. They will tell you the exact blades to order.

Rob Diz
02-05-2009, 10:18 AM
First, I love the timberwolf blades. I use them for most applications, and really respect the support they provide.

With regard to resawing, I have found, however, that with narrower boards (less than 6 inches) I got a much smoother surface and better results with the woodslicer from Highland Hardware. The 3/4 blade was far superior in the wider boards I just resawed -12 inches- but I had more clean up work (and more loss as a result).

Just my .02.

but most of the time I run either a timberwolf 1/2 inch blade or 1/4 blade. I have never gone done to 1/8, although Griz says I can and the timberwolf blade is hanging on the wall.