PDA

View Full Version : sharpening jig choices

Aaron Wingert
02-04-2009, 2:44 PM
I recently saw a woverine jig demonstrated and want to get one for my slow speed grinder. Freehand sharpening my gouges isn't working out for me.

I see that Penn State has their own version for sale.

Does anyone know anything about the quality of PSI's version, or would I be crazy not to get the wolverine?

Any other options out there (other than Tormek or work-sharp type machines...I already have the grinder)?

David Walser
02-04-2009, 5:42 PM
Aaron,

Woodcut makes a sharpening system that compares very well with the Wolverine. The primary advantage of the Woodcut system over the Wolverine is that the Woodcut takes up less space. (The Wolverine's "sliding arm" on its base are longer than those on the Woodcut. The Wolverine's sliding arm needs to be longer because, for certain tools, the Wolverine references off of the end of the tool's handle. For a long handled roughing gouge, the arm needs to extend pretty far from the wheel. The Woodcut, in contrast, references off of the end of its Tru-Grind jig. This allows the Woodcut to have the same sharpening capacity in a more compact form.) Other than that, the two systems are fairly similar.

Here's a link: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Woodcut_System___Tru_Grind_Sharpening _System___tru_grind_system?Args=

I cannot comment on PSI's knockoff of Oneway's Wolverine. I've not used the PSI version. (I've used both the Oneway and Woodcut jigs. I've a mild preference for the Woodcut.) Others have commented on the PSI version on this forum. Try a search and you should come up with their comments. Some like it. Others not so much.

HTH.

Alan Trout
02-04-2009, 8:40 PM
You might look at the new Nova system it seems intriguing to me. Has a few somewhat fresh ideas and is reasonably priced. Here is a link to information on the system. http://www.teknatool.com/products/Other/Sharpening_Centre/Sharpening_centre.htm

Good Luck

Alan

Rick Huelsbeck
02-05-2009, 11:12 AM
I recently saw a woverine jig demonstrated and want to get one for my slow speed grinder. Freehand sharpening my gouges isn't working out for me.

I see that Penn State has their own version for sale.

Does anyone know anything about the quality of PSI's version, or would I be crazy not to get the wolverine?

Any other options out there (other than Tormek or work-sharp type machines...I already have the grinder)?

It works just like the Wolverine except for the fingernail attachment is not quite the same. I find that if I put an allen wrench in the flute of a 1/4 bowl gouge it does a good job. The wolverine has a flat tab of metal where the PSI has a round bar with a groove in the middle. I've often thought about buying the vari-grind from wolverine to go with mine, but I guess you could take a piece of thin sheet metal and make it work on the PSI attachment.

Wayne Bitting
02-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm in the process of setting up the PSI version now, though it too freak'n cold to be in the shop at the moment. Bought the Delta 8" variable speed grinder and the PSI jig both from Amazon. I saw the FWW review on the PSI jig so I decided to go for it at $115, hopefully it works out.

Greg Narozniak
02-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I have the PSI unit and I think it works great. I am by no means an accomplished turner or sharpener but I have sharpened my gouges, skews and parting tools with it connected to a Woodcraft 1750rpm grinder and I am happy.

Burt Alcantara
02-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Alan,
Any reviews of the Nova jig? I'm a long time user of the Wolverine but that Nova looks mighty interesting. At $99, I might pop for it.

Burt

Jake Helmboldt
02-05-2009, 1:07 PM
Here's what I want to know; do any of those brands give more in-depth info on the variety of gouge profiles and how to get them? The Wolverine PDF doesn't tell you much, and I can't find much from the others, or even from homemade jigs.

I made my own wooden version of the Vari-Grind, but the profile is a combination of the angle of the leg, the extension from the jig, and the combination of vertical and horizontal distance of the rest from the centerline of the wheel.

Two different vendors of the Tru-Grind Sharpening System show a gouge setup completely differently with respect to those variables. Is there anything on the web which gives a complete overview of how the setup of these jigs gives you the grind you want? Sometimes I get a good grind, then when I go for another profile it comes out all wrong.:mad:

Gordon Seto
02-05-2009, 1:33 PM
The best I have seen is the manual of Tormek. It is on the web, but you have to registered to log in and they are copy righted. It has a chart showing the grinds with combination of leg setting and nose angle. It removes all the guessing out of the set up. It is for Tormek, but all side grind jigs work on the same principle.

Alan Trout
02-05-2009, 2:08 PM
Burt,

Bill Blasic from the Nova owner group says he has ordered one but have not seen any reviews yet. I do like the marked graduations of angles etc. Reminds me a lot the way the Tomek jigs work so maintaining a certain grind will be a very simple procedure. I have been considering getting one for establishing of grinds because it would be much faster to change a grind on that then my wet sharpener. I still love the edge that the wet grinder leaves and would keep that for my touchups because in reality it is almost as fast for that. It also looks compact like the woodcut. so it will fit on my cart with my wet grinder which the Wolverine would not with the long arms.

I will ask Bill if he got his and see what he thinks.

Alan

Dave Schell
02-05-2009, 2:45 PM
The Nova system does look interesting, especially at the current discount of $20 off the list price. My question is, where does it ship from? The website says:

"Your order will be shipped from our warehouse within a week of receiving your order, via standard national post. All prices are in USD. "

Is that a warehouse in the US or NZ? Could be a huge difference in shipping costs and time.

Michael Mills
02-05-2009, 3:54 PM
I do not have the Nova but I have the Robert Sorby which appears similar. The Nova looks better to me. Woodcraft stores may have the Nova system if you have one near you (they carry the Nova lathes). I have order accessories from Nova and the came promptly, less than a week. It is nice to have the sliding mechanism for skews or hand tools (bench chisles, etc.)
Mike

Dave Schell
02-05-2009, 4:12 PM
Per the Nova website, their new sharpening system is not yet available in stores. Available only for ordering in the US and Canada. It won't be in stores until June 2009.

Gordon Seto
02-05-2009, 5:13 PM
No inside information. Most likely they will be shipped from WV.
http://www.timstoolcrib.com/
Tim Geist is the service rep for Nova.

Alan Trout
02-05-2009, 5:18 PM
I got a message from Bill. He says that it will be the end of the month or first of march till he gets his. We will see. However it looks pretty good.

Alan

Leo Van Der Loo
02-05-2009, 5:25 PM
Hi Aaron, my opinion ??, ....You get what you pay for !!

The Wolverine is the best one around, hands down.

But there are good plans out there to build your own Wolverine type jig if you want to save $$$

Jean Michael's is one that has very good plans and for not just this jig.

http://www.atbq.qc.ca/jm2/

There's also Darrell Feltmates site with many helpful things like tools and jigs and more to build and do, learn.

http://aroundthewoods.com

Have fun and take care

willie sobat
02-06-2009, 6:57 AM
I have the Wolverine with accessories and am quite happy with it.

Jeff Nicol
02-06-2009, 7:15 AM
Aaron, I have the wolverine and it is great! I built the tool holder base and got by with less money that way. Like Leo says you could make one very easily and pretty cheap, I had planned to do that but was walking through Rockler one day and had a $10 off and 10% off so I bought it that way! You really can't go wrong with anything made by One Way!

Jeff

robert hainstock
02-06-2009, 1:31 PM
I have used both jigs, and find that they both do the same job. The fit and finish of the wolverine is better, but I do not sharpen often enough to notice the difference if there is any in operating either. :)
Bob

Aaron Wingert
02-06-2009, 2:48 PM
Thank you all for the information and opinions!

Aaron Wingert
02-19-2009, 4:44 PM
I gave in at the woodworking show last weekend and sprung for the wolverine and the fingernail jig. I have yet to get it all assembled and mounted to a base, let alone figured out. I think it'll come fairly easily since I've seen it demonstrated recently.

(I may eat those words)

Paul Douglass
02-19-2009, 9:18 PM
I made my own. It is made from scraps so it is cheap. But darn, it sharpens my tools! I guess if I spent more they would somehow get sharper!?

Jim Glock
02-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Does anyone have plans/ideas for a home built gouge jig for the Tormek?

Scott Conners
02-19-2009, 11:51 PM
I use and like the wolverine, it's effective and very popular, which helps when passing information through the internet (my primary learning tool).

Someone mentioned the Tormek grind chart, which I happen to have saved, so I'm going to attach it to this post. I've found it somewhat helpful, though I find through experimentation that I prefer a profile very similar to an Ellsworth grind on my bowl gouges.

One hint: When you find a grind you like, mark the gouge or write down the setting of the vari-grind! I kept forgetting and having to find it again, which took a long time. I finally just numbered the notches in the vari-grind and just write the number on the shaft of my gouge, so I can quickly touch up an edge when I need to.