PDA

View Full Version : New Quality Grinding Extension table

Dan Lee
02-04-2009, 2:04 PM
I got my new extension wing from Chris at Quality Grinding a few weeks ago an am in the installation stage. The table is 30"x30" and weighs a ton and is as flat as my straight edge can measure.
To aid in the setup and leveling with the main table I bolted some 1/2" square steel bars along the in side of the each rail. I made sure the bars were affixed low enough that when the extension table was installed its top would sit slightly lower than the saw table. I added leveling bushings and set screws to each corner of bars that the extension sits on. Then using a long jointed board and was able to level the extension to the saw table.
Still need to add permanent legs, add a few bolts to the extension and rails and install a new dust box collection I've made for it. Haven't decided what to do about the 10" gap between the saw table and extension. I can get a 10" Sawstop extension for about $90, may just put in a piece of nice looking hardwood.

Btw Chris was really great to work with on this. After a few phone calls to discuss the details I sent him a drawing of how I wanted everything. Delivery was on time and in good shape

Bruce Page
02-04-2009, 2:29 PM
Boy, that's a lot of steel!

Looks great

Myk Rian
02-04-2009, 3:49 PM
You ought to be ashamed of yourself. Look how dusty that SS is.

Mike Wilkins
02-04-2009, 4:24 PM
Sweet. Lots of iron there to dampen any vibes that may want to appear. I may look into one of those for my slider soon.

Chris Padilla
02-04-2009, 4:28 PM
Ooooo sexy!!

Doug Shepard
02-04-2009, 6:36 PM
I just got my 28x26 one Monday and I can barely move it by myself. 30x30 Ouch:eek: that's got to hurt:D I like the leveling bushing idea. I need to build a cabinet to support mine and I've been wondering how to incorporate some leveling feature into the top. Where did you get those?

Paul Mathers
02-04-2009, 6:48 PM
Looks great :)how do I get ahold of chris to find out about one for my SC

Dan Lee
02-04-2009, 7:42 PM
I just got my 28x26 one Monday and I can barely move it by myself. 30x30 Ouch:eek: that's got to hurt:D I like the leveling bushing idea. I need to build a cabinet to support mine and I've been wondering how to incorporate some leveling feature into the top. Where did you get those?
Doug
McMaster Carr. They are 1/4 x 80TPI which is a little over kill but the bushings were convinent saved me from having to tap the holes.
It is a monster I was going to go for the full 40x30 that the SS extension table is but I pretty much knew that was going to be impossible for 1 guy to handle

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3053/=gmvmv

Looks great :)how do I get ahold of chris to find out about one for my SC
Paul
He has a forum Quality Grinding and Machine right here on SMC. Scroll down on the main page. Great guy to do business with.

Dan Lee
02-04-2009, 7:47 PM
You ought to be ashamed of yourself. Look how dusty that SS is.
Shavings and dust good:D

Mark Carlson
02-04-2009, 9:24 PM
Doug,

This is what I did to hold up my QG extension. Its a woodpecker table with cabinet I just finished. The extension just sits on top and is bolted to the main table. I will problaby attach it to the rails also but havn't yet. The router has a dust hood attached to the underside of the extension. The table has an adjuster on each leg that I used to level the whole thing before I bolted it in place. The extension with the cabinet filled probably weighs as much as the saw.

~mark

Joe Jensen
02-04-2009, 9:52 PM
I got my new extension wing from Chris at Quality Grinding a few weeks ago an am in the installation stage. The table is 30"x30" and weighs a ton and is as flat as my straight edge can measure.
To aid in the setup and leveling with the main table I bolted some 1/2" square steel bars along the in side of the each rail. I made sure the bars were affixed low enough that when the extension table was installed its top would sit slightly lower than the saw table. I added leveling bushings and set screws to each corner of bars that the extension sits on. Then using a long jointed board and was able to level the extension to the saw table.
Still need to add permanent legs, add a few bolts to the extension and rails and install a new dust box collection I've made for it. Haven't decided what to do about the 10" gap between the saw table and extension. I can get a 10" Sawstop extension for about $90, may just put in a piece of nice looking hardwood.

Btw Chris was really great to work with on this. After a few phone calls to discuss the details I sent him a drawing of how I wanted everything. Delivery was on time and in good shape

Wow, what's that cost, pretty slick

Chris W Brown
02-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Dan I like the idea you come up with for leveling your ext wing. Its not easy mounting that ext wing by yourself plus making sure that it is level as well. Are you going to put a SS ext wing in the open space?

Chris

Dan Lee
02-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Joe
I don't recall exactly around low or mid $500

Dan Lee
02-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Dan I like the idea you come up with for leveling your ext wing. Its not easy mounting that ext wing by yourself plus making sure that it is level as well. Are you going to put a SS ext wing in the open space?

Chris

Chris
Dunno either that or or a nice piece of wood. Got a little lucky that the rails were tall enough to allow adding the mnounting bars along with the table height it self. Another thing that will be nice with this set up is having a really big flat surface.

Doug Shepard
02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Doug
McMaster Carr. They are 1/4 x 80TPI which is a little over kill but the bushings were convinent saved me from having to tap the holes.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3053/=gmvmv

What length? I guess what I'm wondering is if you got short ones and just lined them up with the vertical edges of the extension or long ones going up inside the extension. And what stops the bushing from also turning when you turn the set screw?

Dan Lee
02-05-2009, 12:56 PM
What length? I guess what I'm wondering is if you got short ones and just lined them up with the vertical edges of the extension or long ones going up inside the extension. And what stops the bushing from also turning when you turn the set screw?

I used the 7/16" bushing and 1" set screw and contact is made at the under side of the vertical edge.

I located the bars that attach to the rails so when the extension table was placed on them its top would be about 1/8" below the top of the table saw top allowing the set screws to raise the extension until level.

I had thought I would need to epoxy the bushings. Turns out they fit fairly snug that and I think just the weight of the extension keeps them from turning

Chip Lindley
02-06-2009, 12:59 AM
OhhhPleeze! Hardwood stuffing a gap between a very expensive QG router extension ON a very expensive SawStop TS???? Spring for the CI ext. wing! SOON!