PDA

View Full Version : Vector Skipping

Tim Bateson
02-04-2009, 1:09 PM
This is an issue that is happening sporadically. A vector cut missing here, a cut there. Some jobs have no problems, some jobs will process correctly and on the next sheet skip a line as with the photo attached. I ran several sheets and this is the only one that the vector stopped short of finishing the line/circle. These where throw away coasters for the SuperBowl. All duplicates of a single circle.
Any suggestions or cleaning I need to see to?

Tim Bateson
02-04-2009, 1:11 PM
... this happens at random places on the table.

Doug Griffith
02-04-2009, 1:20 PM
Try checking your line weight and make sure that arrowheads are not applied. You won't see hairline arrowheads on screen but they seem to cause fluxuation when cutting.

Tim Bateson
02-04-2009, 1:23 PM
This is the same circle on the entire sheet generated with Corel's circle tool. If I hit go again on a new sheet it is not likely to happen again, or it may happen elseware on the sheet.

Rodne Gold
02-04-2009, 1:33 PM
Could be signs of a tube issue...

Peck Sidara
02-04-2009, 1:47 PM
Tim,

The intermittency of the failure is what's gotten me. A few things come to mind.

If the job is repeated, would it miss in the exact same location?

Are you waiting until the job is fully spooled (green data LED disappears)before starting the job?

Could also be a intermittent interlock failure. Tech support can tell you the proper way of monitoring your interlock LED's w/ side panel off while machine is running (wear safety glasses).

I don't think it's artwork/graphic because although a circle consists of a series of connecting line segments, our laser sees it as one line segment.

Just a few suggestions to consider. Tech support should be contacted for additional ideas and ultimate resolution. 303.215.9171

Steve Clarkson
02-04-2009, 1:48 PM
Tim, that's kind of a freaky problem.....and no I don't have any idea what could cause it.

But....if you tried to vector cut that same exact circle, all alone, a second time......would it cut all the way through or not? If it does, then I assume you have a laser problem. If it does not, then I think you'll find your solution in Corel.

Tim Bateson
02-04-2009, 2:15 PM
Thanks for the replies.

No this is not repeatable - it's random. I can run the same job multiple times and never see it and sometimes just once. When I say run the same job - it's already loaded to the laser & I hit GO. At this point the job(s) may or or not complete. In this case the first sheet finished successfully and I started another sheet - this circle was in the middle of the job, skipped finishing this circle and moved on to the next. I put another sheet in hit GO and did not see this problem again. The most frustrating ones are with a long complex job and miss one little line or as in this case part of a line.

Peck - I haven't opened a ticket yet because it's so random. Most of the time I'll copy the missing segment to another page and send just that to the laser.
If it becomes more then a nuisance I'll call support about the possibility of an intermittent interlock failure... what-ever that is, but sounds impressive.

Steve Clarkson
02-04-2009, 3:13 PM
You've never heard of an IIF? Man, didn't you read your manual.......

Frank Corker
02-04-2009, 4:50 PM
I would say that you have a dirty encoder strip.

Rodne Gold
02-04-2009, 4:58 PM
The laser will have a safety device so you cant run it when the door is opn , it will prolly do the motions , but the laser wont fire. Normally a magnetic home alarm type switch the type they use on windows is fitted between the lid and the body

IMHO It would most likely manifest tiself when the laser is bumped during a job etc or the lid doesnt seal well etc.

I have had problems like yours with both synrad and coherent tubes and in general it was a tube issue , especially if it only does it when vector cutting at high power and low speed.
It could be as simple as a trigger wire not seated , or the laser tube engaging overheat protection , or the laser power supply having a glitch or a motherboard issue etc.
I would suggest looking to see there are no loose wires or cables/connectors not seated or ribbon cables cracked or partially cracked and to open up areas where there are fans and electronics and blow em clean of dust with canned air - dust build up on heat sinks and the like can cause intermittent problems?
Unfortunately , in our experience , intermittent problems like yours that occur at random have mostly pointed to tubes going bad .....

Frank Corker
02-04-2009, 5:02 PM
Actually that's a good observation there by Rodney, maybe you should stop breakdancing around by the machine or get the floorboards sorted!

Tim Bateson
02-04-2009, 5:41 PM
Is my stripping dirty??? :eek: That sounds too personal. :cool:

It's been a very busy season, so the laser is due for a good cleaning anyway. I think this weekend I'll pull all the covers off, re-seat everything and thoroughly clean all of the areas I don't usually get to. This time maybe I'll try using a clean swap on that encoder strip. :p

Only time will tell if this works, but for sure it won't hurt.

Thanks everyone! :D

Tim Bateson
02-04-2009, 5:44 PM
Shhhhhh!!!! Don't tell my wife about my dancing, she'll expect me to take her out dancing more often! :eek: