PDA

View Full Version : Dayton drll press?

Laurie Brown
02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Is anyone familiar with Dayton drill presses? There is one for sale in my area, a 5Z146C, and I haven't been able to find much information about it. It looks pretty old, and I'm trying to find out how much it's worth and if it's a good drill press. Any ideas?

David Christopher
02-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Laurie, It looks like that DP new sells for $550 to 650. dont know the age or condition of the one that you are looking at but this is a starting point. I dont have a dayton DP but I do have a Dayton jointer and grinder and the ones that I have seams to be as good as any of the name brands that I have used in the past.......hope this helps

Tony Zaffuto
02-04-2009, 11:20 AM
A few years back, I believe Dayton was a house brand name for some hand and power tools sold by Grainger.

T.Z.

Joe Jensen
02-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Dayton is indeed a house brand for Grainger. Older Dayton branded tools were manufactured by Delta or Rockwell. I have an old Dayton belt / disc sander that is identical to the Delta version. Newer Dayton tools are Chiwanese stuff and the quality is mixed just as with the other brands who have gone offshore.

Can't help with part numbers on the drill press. Maybe OWWM would have someone who knows...joe

Laurie Brown
02-07-2009, 8:31 AM
Well, I looked at it yesterday and didn't buy. I thought from the picture I had seen that it was a floor standing unit, but it was a cabinet or bench mount with a floor-mount sized head. Plus, the power switch was broken off so there was no way to make sure it worked, and I didn't want to mess with having to try to repair it. It looked solid otherwise, but I'm really looking for a floor unit.

David Christopher
02-07-2009, 8:46 AM
Laurie, you might want to look at the grizzly DPs...looks like they have some pretty good deals