PDA

View Full Version : Routers, routers, routers

Laurie Brown
02-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I have one router in my shop, mounted in a table for making raised panel doors. I would like to have at least one or two additional routers, so I can leave that one in the table all the time.

Ideally, I'd like to pay $100 or less for my additional routers. I have 2 1/4hp in the table, for out of table use, I doubt I'd need anything that big. I've been looking at laminate trimmers and small handhelds like the Bosch Colt, but for a similar price it seems I can get a regular full sized router with a fixed base.

I like the Bosch I have now, and I've been looking at Porter Cables as well. I can pick up a PC 690 for $90 new, is that a good deal? What brands and prices should I be looking for? The Bosch's like the one I have are still selling for over $200 locally, so I'm thinking $90 sounds pretty good for a PC.

frank shic
02-04-2009, 10:25 AM
laurie, it depends on what you want to use the routers for. if you want to be able to crank out those lovely raised panel doors, you should consider getting at least a 3hp router to field the raised panels and another 2hp router to complement the one you have already to run the stick and cope cuts without having to constantly switch bits or heights in the case of stacked cutters. otherwise, the pc 690 will work great. i bought at least 3 of those within the last two years and once you figure out how to unlock the router bit from the collet (whack the the collet with a wrench!) the PC 690 works very well for running edge profiles and as you've observed they're a bargain compared to their beefier cousins!

Laurie Brown
02-04-2009, 10:33 AM
I really can't afford a 3hp router, and don't feel like I need one anyway, as I've been cranking out the raised panel doors with my 2 1/4 just fine. I just work slowly and make many, many passes each panel. But yes, I would like to have a setup with a pair of routers set up to make the stick and cope cuts without swapping bits around like I do now, and have one router for edge use outside a table, so, ideally, I'd like to have at least 5 or 6 routers. :) But I'll buy them one or two at a time as money permits.

I've been slowly adding tools to my shop over the last year or so, and I now have a dado blade set for my saw and a tenon jig. I still do not have a biscuit joiner, a decent drill press, or a miter saw, but until I find one I can afford they'll have to wait.

Anthony Whitesell
02-04-2009, 10:53 AM
I thought the PC690 had a self releasing collet? You should just have to loosen the collet with the wrench, then loosen by hand until it stop, and then loosen again with the wrench (about 1/4 turn).

Joe Scharle
02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
I bought an extra base ($40) for my RT Milwaukee so I could quickly make it handheld.

Laurie Brown
02-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I bought an extra base ($40) for my RT Milwaukee so I could quickly make it handheld.

I have both bases for my Bosch and use a lift on the table, but it's still a pain to take it out of the table and put on a base then mount it back in the table. I'd rather have another router to use for out of table things.

scott spencer
02-04-2009, 11:14 AM
The PC690 for $90 is a nice deal on a nice router that's a good size for hand use. The Hitachi M12VC fixed base is a nice little router too....bought my recon for $59.

The M12V/M12V2 and the Freud FT2200 3hp routers are often on sale in the $125 range, but I doubt you'll find many decent 3hp routers for < $100.

frank shic
02-04-2009, 11:16 AM
anthony, the problem with the pc 690 is that even after you've released the collet bolt, it sometimes still seizes on the bit. a great solution is to just whack it with the enclosed wrench to loosen it up.

Laurie Brown
02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
The PC690 for $90 is a nice deal on a nice router that's a good size for hand use. The Hitachi M12VC fixed base is a nice little router too....bought my recon for $59.

The M12V2 3hp and the Freud FT2200 are often on sale in the $125 range, but I doubt you'll find many decent 3hp routers for < $100.

I wouldn't expect to find a 3hp router for that price, which is why I'm not looking for one. ;) $125 sounds good for one, though. Where do you see these sales?

Marlin Williams
02-04-2009, 11:24 AM
The freud router set was $99 at Lowes and HD for a while.

Here is the lowes for $99 with free shipping
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=273209-333-FT1702VCEK&lpage=none

Rod Sheridan
02-04-2009, 11:30 AM
I still do not have a biscuit joiner, a decent drill press, or a miter saw, but until I find one I can afford they'll have to wait.

Laurie, after thirty years I don't have a mitresaw or a biscuit joiner either.

I cut material on the tablesaw, and for those rare situations I want to use biscuits, I use my shaper with a Freud 4mm slotting cutter.

I think you can cut biscuit slots on a router table with a 4mm cutter also, although since I own a router plane I can't do that either!

Regards, Rod.

Laurie Brown
02-04-2009, 11:40 AM
The freud router set was $99 at Lowes and HD for a while.

Here is the lowes for $99 with free shipping
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=273209-333-FT1702VCEK&lpage=none

I don't know much about Freud. How does that router compare to a PC? I notice it's more hp than the PC 690, so I'm wondering how do the brands compare quality-wise?

Rich Engelhardt
02-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Hello,
I have both the Freud 1700 and the PC 690.
My advice would be to go with the PC 690.

Not that the Freud isn't a good router, it just that PC set the standard for bushings.

The Freud requires an adapter to use PC bushings.
The 690 is also a bt smaller and lighter, which makes for a tiny bit easier to use handheld.

The Freud, with it's extra power and above table features, is a very good table router.
The optional plunge base is ok. Not great but ok. Not being able to just slap in a bushing w/out first using an adapter is another drawback.

$90.00 is a very decent price for the 690. I paid $99.00 for mine with a free PC sander a year ago Christmas.

Jon Swett
02-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Laurie,
This is an area where Harbor Freight can come to your rescue. A router is just a motor with a bit chucked into it. Having a couple of cheap routers with common bits in them is very handy sometimes.

Ralph Okonieski
02-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Laurie,

I bought a Bosch jigsaw that included a Colt router as part of a package. The Colt is now my often used router (not including the one mounted in the router table). It is light and invaluable for router edges, inlays, and other fine or small work. I have several other fixed and plunge ones available but still use the Colt more than the others combined.

Vince Shriver
02-04-2009, 1:04 PM
My 690 went south right in mid stream (mid project), and I needed a router quick. I found the Rigid combo set at the BORG -- so far it's been a jem. Variable speed, easy bit change, see thru plate, even a light to see what happening at the bit. What's not to like!

Depending upon the urgency to acquire another router, it may be worth your while to save up enough scheckles to purchase the big 3+ hp router for you table. Once in I'm sure you won't regret it, and that sucker can handle just about whatever you give it.

(Also, as an aside, please realize that the Porter Cable line - has been, is now, or soon will be - cheapened down as a second line tool from Black and Decker. That's the reason I went with the Milwaukee 3.5, rather than the PC 3.25 in my router table. Just a thought to consider.)

Laurie Brown
02-04-2009, 1:13 PM
One of the reasons for me not to go with a bigger router in my table is the bigger routers won't fit in my router lift. I got the Jessem Rout-R-Lift that fits the Bosch 1617 and other smaller routers.

Bill Houghton
02-04-2009, 1:25 PM
...once you figure out how to unlock the router bit from the collet (whack the the collet with a wrench!) the PC 690 ...

Does Porter-Cable no longer ship with the self-releasing collets? My older 690 has a self-releasing collet that's never held onto a bit.

Jason White
02-04-2009, 1:26 PM
The PC690 for $90 is absolutely a good deal!

I have a couple and they are real workhorses.

That said, you can probably find a good deal on them used through Craigslist.

Jason

I have one router in my shop, mounted in a table for making raised panel doors. I would like to have at least one or two additional routers, so I can leave that one in the table all the time.

Ideally, I'd like to pay $100 or less for my additional routers. I have 2 1/4hp in the table, for out of table use, I doubt I'd need anything that big. I've been looking at laminate trimmers and small handhelds like the Bosch Colt, but for a similar price it seems I can get a regular full sized router with a fixed base.

I like the Bosch I have now, and I've been looking at Porter Cables as well. I can pick up a PC 690 for $90 new, is that a good deal? What brands and prices should I be looking for? The Bosch's like the one I have are still selling for over $200 locally, so I'm thinking $90 sounds pretty good for a PC.

Mark Carlson
02-04-2009, 1:36 PM
I bought a couple of PC 690's last summer to use with an Akeda jig. Really nice with a Pat Warner clear sub base. One nice benefit to the PC if you own more that one model (I have a 7518 in a table and a 7529 i dont use much) is that the collets can be interchanged. I now have all the PC collets, 1/4, 8mm, 3/8 and 1/2.

~mark

scott spencer
02-04-2009, 2:17 PM
I wouldn't expect to find a 3hp router for that price, which is why I'm not looking for one. ;) $125 sounds good for one, though. Where do you see these sales?

I just checked...the M12V refurb is on sale for $119 but is backordered. The M12V2 is $141, and the FT2200 refurb is $139, but are also backordered from Reconditioned Sales (http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_M12V_3-14_Peak_HP_Router_Plunge_Electronic_Variable_Speed _(Reconditioned)___i308.aspx). I've seen other sales from various wwing retailers where the Freud FT2200 and M12V2 have dropped into that price range....nothing else right now that I'm aware of, but the scene changes pretty fast.

Greg Hines, MD
02-04-2009, 2:23 PM
$90.00 for a PC 690 is a good price. I have one, which I use handheld, and an 890 which I use in the table. I cannot comment on the above complaints about the collets, as I have never had trouble with them on my routers. I would think that if you have trouble getting the bit out of it, I would think that there was a burr on it or you have let the shank gum up.

Doc

Gordon Peery
02-04-2009, 2:46 PM
Yes, another PC690 vote here! I have 3 (fixed base) and the PC plunge base (6931). Power, weight, grips at low center of gravity, guidebush standard, price, quality.....seems like 690 has been around forever. Must be something of a classic, in that market slot. Anything "around forever" speaks volumns!

My other route is with a truck - Old Makita 3612 mounted in a table. The Bosch Colt is perfect for edge easing & lighter rounding over. An earlier Bosch (1608), probably the granddaddy of the Colt, had a tilt base accessory which is really nifty! When I bought my 1608, probably 25 years ago from a wholesale Formica/cabinet shop supplier, I don't recall seeing trim routers much in the marketplace; Did Bosch "write the book" in the palm/trim category? Whatever - they surely wrote very well!

Prashun Patel
02-04-2009, 2:57 PM
Laurie-
As a Bosch router owner myself, I submit to you that yr better off getting another Bosch. As you know, the baseplate's funky and doesn't fit all the standard PC bushings without adapters and whatchahoosits. Same with edge guides and dust ports.

You can get a fixed reconditioned for under $150.

I also suggest you do invest in a lam trimmer. I've had very nice luck with this one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Trim-Router-Metal-Body/H7790

It's no Bosch Colt, but it's 1/2 the price. I keep a 1/8" roundover permanently chucked and it's really great for taking the edge off of just about everything. A lam trimmer is one-handed, which makes it more convenient in some instances vis-a-vis a full-sized cousin.

Sue Wise
02-04-2009, 3:31 PM
I have two PC 690 series routers. One has variable speed that I use in my router table. I like the router but I don't like the plunge base very much on the PC 690. I also have a Bosch Colt that I like a lot.

Now, if I were you, I just might buy another Bosch with a plunge base. I would want to be able to use the router in my table with the plunge base just in case I needed to. I find that for out of the table work, I use my plunge base more often than the regular base. I hear that the plunge base for your Bosch is very good. Another thing, is that I usually be reconditioned if I can't buy used.

Charles McCracken
02-04-2009, 3:40 PM
Hello,
The Freud requires an adapter to use PC bushings.

...Not being able to just slap in a bushing w/out first using an adapter is another drawback.

At the risk of sounding contentious, some prefer the larger opening in the base of the FT1700.

Laurie Brown
02-04-2009, 4:08 PM
The Bosch I currently own I bought in the combo kit. So I currently have both a fixed and a plunge base for the router which I almost never use sitting around while the router is mounted in a table with a router lift. I wouldn't really want to get another Bosch unless I could get just the motor, since I don't need to collect any more bases for it. And if they don't use standard bushings, sounds like another reason NOT to buy another one. I've had to have mine repaired once already, when the power switch got clogged with sawdust.

The PC I am looking at buying comes with just the fixed base, which when I do use my router out of the table is mainly the base I use. I've only used my plunge base I think twice, so I don't think I really need one.

Eric Gustafson
02-04-2009, 5:23 PM
anthony, the problem with the pc 690 is that even after you've released the collet bolt, it sometimes still seizes on the bit. a great solution is to just whack it with the enclosed wrench to loosen it up.

I have the pc 890 and I suppose it uses the same collet. I think that seizing you are talking about is actually a feature! The next time you are removing a bit, use the wrench to loosen the nut. Then unscrew the nut a little further until you feel it stop. Move it a little more and it will release the bit.

Fred Belknap
02-04-2009, 6:03 PM
Laura: Bosch has a separate base that can be mounted in the table and then you only need to switch the motor, no tools required. Works just like the combo set works. I think it is around $50.

Casey Carr
02-04-2009, 7:33 PM
Try Timberline Tools. They have the PC690 on sale now for under $90. Click on the Show ALL Featured Products link towards the top. These guys also own Routerbitworld.com I think. Good prices from what I've seen. Wound up purchasing my Jet tablesaw from them for a screaming deal.

Von Bickley
02-04-2009, 7:37 PM
Everything sounds like a good reason to get another router. There is nothing wrong with having 5 or 6 routers. :D:):D

Laurie Brown
02-04-2009, 8:42 PM
Try Timberline Tools. They have the PC690 on sale now for under $90. Click on the Show ALL Featured Products link towards the top. These guys also own Routerbitworld.com I think. Good prices from what I've seen. Wound up purchasing my Jet tablesaw from them for a screaming deal.

That's not bad, but it's $106 after shipping charges are added. The one I was looking at for $90 had free shipping, so it works out cheaper. ;) But thanks, I'll check them out for other things I'm looking for.

Thomas Williams
02-04-2009, 9:16 PM
Laurie: It would be nice if you get a Bosch motor so you can use the other bases that you already have. Will the Craftsman fit your Bosch bases? This one is on sale: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917542000P?mv=rr
I know nothing about this router, except they look very similar to the Bosch routers.

Also, you will not go wrong with the PC 690. It is a tried and true solid router.

Another option to consider is the used market. I have gotten great deals at the local pawn shops on all types of tools.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

John Keeton
02-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Laurie, at the risk of sounding like I am going cheap here - check your local pawn shops. I have picked up 3 routers, none of which cost over $25. They are all simple, fixed base routers of various brands - one Bosch, a DeWalt, and the other I can't recall. If you just want dedicated medium powered routers, it is a consideration.

Apologies to Thomas - didn't see his comment on pawn shops until I had posted this - edited.

Simon Dupay
02-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Try e-bay, I've bought 2 PC routers off ebay for less then $60 bucks for both. Some of the older ones are better then new ones.

David DeCristoforo
02-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Well you got a lot of replies regarding brands so no need to add to that. But I would like to suggest that whatever brand(s) you decide on, you get 1.5 HP with a "D" handle base and a plunge base plus a smaller "trim" router. This way, with your present 2.25 HP machine, you will have a very versatile setup with very little "redundancy".

Tom Adger
02-05-2009, 7:26 AM
Laurie, I suggest you look at the Sears Craftsman model 17542, for $90. It is 2hp, 11amp. It has a nice rack and pinion depth adjustment. I also like the soft start. The same router with the plunge base is model 17543, at $120. A lot of folks badmouth Craftsman, but some of their stuff is good, and this is one of them.

hank dekeyser
02-05-2009, 8:24 AM
Laurie, plenty of opinions here - You know what they say though.

Through the years I've had many routers - Makita, Bosch, PC, Freud, Milwaukee -never SEARS (Ummm- do I need to explain that one?) I'm a fan of pawn shops also - many good deals out there. I currently have the older version of the Bosch Colt - (laminate trimmer , works nice for tight spots ) A Bocsh 1/4" I dont remember # (my first router ever bought 20 + years ago) works good for light stuff and laminate work. 2 Bosch 1/2" 1905 motors (1/2"), 5 PC 690's, and the big newest Milwaukee - Oh yeah and a couple old ROckwell 1/4" (pawn shop $10 ea- had to buy 'em)

The small Bosch has seen LOTS of use w/ zero problems - PC 690 you just can't beat, and haven't had a chance to cut any panels w/ the big Milwaukee yet so no views on it yet (had it for a year already , got it for cheap $$)
I HAD a PC 890 and let the smoke out of it inside of 3 months - HATE IT - I would recommend looking for at least one router w/ variable speed, I stay away from recons, sears, ryobi, ridgid,etc. - Main reason is for the money a PC lasts forever - THAT itself makes for a good value IMHO - I have 2 plunge bases that see very little use. You can check flea-bay too - Theres always somebody w/ new PC 690's w/ 'buy it now or BO' I got 2 new in box last year for $175 shipped (for both)

my 2 cents - Just dont buy cheap stuff unless you want to replace it.

Laurie Brown
02-05-2009, 8:25 AM
Try e-bay, I've bought 2 PC routers off ebay for less then $60 bucks for both. Some of the older ones are better then new ones.

I've been watching them, but they've been going for $85+ with shipping, so no real savings there over a new one. And these were 690's. Been watching Craiglist, too, but in my area woodworking tools are rarely found on there, and go fast when they appear.

Laurie Brown
02-05-2009, 8:29 AM
I had a Craftsman table saw, and after that nightmare I won't buy any more Craftsman power tools, sorry. For the same price as a PC, I'd be hard pressed to find any reason to buy a Sears router. I will buy their hand tools, things like wrenches that don't have moving parts, but that's it.

I've checked out the local pawn shops, too. Used to be they had deals on stuff but these days they all go on Ebay to see what things are selling for, then price theirs accordingly, so no bargains there any more, either.

Prashun Patel
02-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Laurie-
In case yr still interested, Rockler has a reconditioned Bosch Colt on sale for about $90.
- shawn

Rich Lightfoot
02-05-2009, 1:12 PM
Might be beyond your budget but a fellow creeker is selling a Hitachi M12V2 that others have talked about NIB for $150 shipped

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=103374

Byron Trantham
02-05-2009, 1:23 PM
I have the pc 890 and I suppose it uses the same collet. I think that seizing you are talking about is actually a feature! The next time you are removing a bit, use the wrench to loosen the nut. Then unscrew the nut a little further until you feel it stop. Move it a little more and it will release the bit.

I am pretty sure Eric right. I have the 690 and after you initially break the nut loose it will unscrew by hand for a while and then stop. At this point use the wrenches again to finally release the bit. Now my PC trim router is another story. A sledge hammer is required to release the bits (most of the time:D)

Steve Clardy
02-05-2009, 1:53 PM

Ditto that. I've done that numerous times.

Roger Jensen
02-06-2009, 12:45 AM
If you're looking for a pure hand held router I'd go with the variable speed colt. For hand-held routing it can't be beat. Once you've started doing some one-handed routing you'll love it. Always nice to have a free hand when you're working.

Mike Wellner
02-06-2009, 1:05 AM
Laurie, I suggest you look at the Sears Craftsman model 17542, for $90. It is 2hp, 11amp. It has a nice rack and pinion depth adjustment. I also like the soft start. The same router with the plunge base is model 17543, at $120. A lot of folks badmouth Craftsman, but some of their stuff is good, and this is one of them.

They are basically an rebadged Bosch, both the Craftsman and Bosch look the same

Fred Floyd
02-06-2009, 1:59 AM
Years ago, I went through the cheap Craftsman routers about once a year. After the third one, I realized that wasn't working.

About 10 years ago, I found an ad for a Freud FT2000 for $175 with a $25 rebate making a net of $150 - My wife convinced me that I needed two. So, I did that. One went into my router table and later the other went into the table saw extension - two setups for routing is REALLY convenient. Shortly after, I came across a deal for a DeWalt 2-1/4 hp DW621. That is truly a nice router for hand held work.

I do a lot of dovetailed drawers, so it was logical to find another router for that dedicated purpose. I found one at Sears on closeout with a few missing parts. It too was a DW621. Later that same year, I came across a third DW621.

One can never have too many routers. I heard a rumor that Norm at one point had something like 40 routers -- one for every setup.

Rich Engelhardt
02-06-2009, 5:46 AM
Hello,

At the risk of sounding contentious, some prefer the larger opening in the base of the FT1700.
Good point.
For me it's a hindrance but I guess on a larger scale, the larger opening is a plus.

Scott Schwake
02-06-2009, 3:22 PM
The one I was looking at for $90 had free shipping,

I'm in the market too, where did you find it for that price?

Laurie Brown
02-06-2009, 3:47 PM
I'm in the market too, where did you find it for that price?

It was on Amazon. I waited too long, and now it's $118. :(

Ray Dockrey
02-06-2009, 5:01 PM
Years ago, I went through the cheap Craftsman routers about once a year. After the third one, I realized that wasn't working.

About 10 years ago, I found an ad for a Freud FT2000 for $175 with a $25 rebate making a net of $150 - My wife convinced me that I needed two. So, I did that. One went into my router table and later the other went into the table saw extension - two setups for routing is REALLY convenient. Shortly after, I came across a deal for a DeWalt 2-1/4 hp DW621. That is truly a nice router for hand held work.

I do a lot of dovetailed drawers, so it was logical to find another router for that dedicated purpose. I found one at Sears on closeout with a few missing parts. It too was a DW621. Later that same year, I came across a third DW621.

One can never have too many routers. I heard a rumor that Norm at one point had something like 40 routers -- one for every setup.I have the new Craftsman router and I have to tell you it is nothing like their old stuff. I liked it so much i went and bought another one. I have beat on the first one as it is in my router table lift and it works like a charm.