PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Stanley no 7

Darron Chapman
02-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Hey folks,
I just picked up a stanley no 7 to continue to fill out my basic plane inventory. However, I need some help.

Here's the problem: it seems that no matter what I do I cannot get the blade to advance properly. I have tried adjusting the frog, but I have to basically move the frog all the way forward and advance the adjusting nut all the way out in order to get the blade the protrude from the sole. In which case there is really no gap left in the mouth of the plane. I have tried doing the above and then backing off the frog. In which case the blade no longer protudes. I'll confess that I am a newbie, but I have several stanley bailey planes (3, 4,5) and I have not had any problems with this on any of those.

So, here's the facts. The blade is 2 3/8 wide and about 7 3/8 long. That seems right for a no 7, doesn't it? Chip breaker is the same width and shows no signs of damage. The Y adjusting lever does not appear damaged and moves freely. The blade is being engaged by the adjuster when I turn the adjusting nut.

Any ideas?:confused:

Robert Rozaieski
02-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Probably the wrong chipbreaker. If it's not the right one for the plane (like if it's a Stanley plane but a chipbreaker from a different mfg.), it won't work right. I don't have one to measure but perhaps someone could measure the distance from the edge of a proper chipbreaker to the engagement slot and you could compare this measurement to your chipbreaker.

Justin Green
02-04-2009, 10:47 AM
I had this very trouble as well. I disassebled the plane, reset the chipbreaker on the iron, and moved the frog back a hair before reinstalling the chipbreaker and iron. Loosen the two screws holding the frog in place when you do this. Also, make sure that the chipbreaker/iron screw seats all the way into the frog (might be dirty?). I'm a newbie, too, but something seemed to be binding when I tried to adjust the frog while everything was assembled. Once I took the lever cap, iron, and chipbreaker off, moved the frog back a hair, this worked well. I was able to get full width shavings last night with the plane - about 6/1000's thick - while I was leveling my bench top.

Jim Koepke
02-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Darron,
Pictures may help.

As Robert said, an incorrect chip breaker may be the problem.
Also, if the chip breaker is not seating solidly to the blade, it may be moving and the blade isn't.
Does the brass adjusting nut move freely over its full range of travel?

Let us know how things work out.

jim

Darron Chapman
02-04-2009, 2:22 PM
Thanks guys.
I did think about the chip breaker. Do not have another 7 to compare it with. So, I tried to get some dimensions by looking at Hock replacement stuff online, but they didn't give any dimensions other than width. The chip breaker and the blade are moving when I turn the adjusting screw, but it is like the blade is "too high" to adjust so that it protudes from the mouth, at least without choking the mouth completely. I will try to clean up the frog (I have not completely cleaned and tuned it up yet, but it is not heavily rusted) and see if it is sitting flush. If that does not work I will try to post some pics.

Jim Koepke
02-04-2009, 3:19 PM
Darron,

Are you familiar with the different dates (types) of Stanley planes?

This information may also be of help. If it is before type 9, something tilting the frog could cause this problem. Could also be a problem with type 9 and later, but less likely.

I will try to take some dimensions from my chip breaker and post them later today.

jim

Richard Niemiec
02-04-2009, 4:30 PM
I had the same issue with a #4 1/2, and after much hand-wringing and ado, in the end I determined that it was that the end of the "Y" lever that moves the chipbreaker was somehow distorted such that it did not engage the hole in the chipbreaker. I happened to have another frog from a #6 with a cracked sole that fit the bed and when that one went in it worked just fine. It may be your chipbreaker however, measure the size of the rectangular hole and compare it with another Stanley plane as I am pretty sure all the "Y" parts were the same size. Hope it works out.

Jim Koepke
02-04-2009, 9:20 PM
Measuring the distance from the bottom of the rectangular notch for the adjuster to the bottom of the chip breaker on my plane came out to about 3-23/32 or 3.8 inches.

Richard mentioned a problem he had with the yoke. Check to see that the pin mounting it to the frog is not bent. I have used a piece of nail to replace one of these in the past.

Hope this helps.

jim

Darron Chapman
02-06-2009, 6:00 PM
Just a quick update. All the measurements are correct and the parts seem intact and operating. So, I cleaned up the frog and frog bed a bit and this dramatically improved the problem. Still not quite as responsive as my other planes, but I also have not completely cleaned it up and tuned it yet. Thanks for everyone's help.

Darron