PDA

View Full Version : How do you turn napkin rings.?

Dennis Peacock
02-04-2009, 9:46 AM
I'd like to make some but what's driving this is a guy at work wants me to make him 12 napkin rings as a gift to his mother. I haven't a clue about how to do this. Anybody here done napkin rings before? Got pics of the process and how it's done? ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Dennis....I saw some photos somewhere of a guy doing it. He turned as much of the ring as he could from a piece chucked up. Then he cut the ring loose. Then he put another piece of wood in his chuck and turned a cone. He place the ring over the cone, unfinished side out and finished turned that side.

Richard Madison
02-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Dennis,
It has been a while, but used to do some, both solid and laminated. Couple of ways. One is; chuck the blank and turn the o.d., forstner drill the i.d., sand and part off. Hand sand the parted off end. Two is; bandsaw or circle cutter (drill press) the oversize laminated blank, forstner drill the i.d. on drill press, mount on home made expanding mandrel and turn the o.d. Sand o.d. on lathe. Tape strips of three grades of sandpaper around each of two 1" dowels. Place ring on dowel and place dowel between centers on lathe and sand i.d. Repeat with second dowel with finer grades of paper. If possible check what kind of napkins they are to be used with to determine best i.d., as the thick ones need larger i.d., but that size is a very loose fit for thin napkins. They are easy once you get in the zone. Good luck.

Michael Faurot
02-04-2009, 11:30 AM
I've not made any myself, but this site (http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Projects/napkin-rings.html) has some info on it.

Pete Jordan
02-04-2009, 3:04 PM
http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php

Kirk Miller
02-04-2009, 9:13 PM
Couldn't you use a Jam chuck to do this? You may want to have an extra rubber bushing on hand in case you tear it up on accident. I am a Newbie at this woodturning thing, but it seems like it would work. Maybe I will give it a shot this week.

Kirk