PDA

View Full Version : Finials - your tool of choice?

Norm Zax
02-04-2009, 6:55 AM
Thought Id start a thread to learn what tools people use for their finials (dont assume Ive tried them ... yet) after seeing Neal, Keith and others produce those delicate and designed finials. Is it a skew? a detail gouge? or perhaps home made tools? If one or the other, which size and make?
Hoping to learn from the experts,
Norm

Brian Brown
02-04-2009, 9:09 AM
So far, my efforts at making finials have been a total disaster. However, the first tool I recomend are the videos by Cindy Drozda. She gives the real answer to your question, and shows how to do it.

Don Orr
02-04-2009, 9:26 AM
I use a 3/8" Crown Pro PM spindle gouge with a detail grind on it. I guess I figured a "spindle" gouge was supposed to be used on spindle work so that's what I started with and it seems to work OK for me. I do use a small skew once in a while as well, but mostly the gouge.

Bernie Weishapl
02-04-2009, 9:35 AM
I use a 1/4" and 3/8" spindle gouge most of the time. I also use a 5/8" skew a lot. My spindle gouges have detail grind on them or some call it swept back wings. Cindy Drozdas DVD's on finial is about the best I have seen. Watching her do finials in a demo is even better. She said at a demo I attended that her spindle gouge with the swept back wings doubles as a skew and spindle gouge.

Neal Addy
02-04-2009, 11:08 AM
In Cindy's Elegant Finials video she uses a modified 3/8" detail spindle gouge. It has a slightly elongated cutting edge and a ground-back heel on the bevel.

My favorite weapon for finial detail work is a 1/4" skew. I use two: one with a normal bevel and a second with a longer bevel (for reaching into deep areas). Gotta be extra careful with the latter since it can be very aggressive.

steven carter
02-04-2009, 1:27 PM
I started out using a 1/4" and 3/8" spindle gouges and still use them but have recently been using a 3 point tool that I found on Darrell Feltmate's site and made myself per his instructions. It's simple to make and is like having 3 small skews as well as a fine point tool. I think I saw a video of this on the AAW site. I find that the more I use this tool the more I find I can do with it. I recommend giving it a try, I made mine for less that $10.

Steve

Joshua Dinerstein
02-04-2009, 4:49 PM
For the dozen or so I have turned I have used purely the Skew chisel. Ken and Bernie put me onto that tool as an excellent place to continue my learning and it has quickly become one of my favorites. I get finishes from the tool on some of my pieces that have been so good I have not had to use any sand paper at all. I love it when that happens.

No claim to be an expert here just my $0.02. YMMV.

Good luck, turning finials is one of the funnest things I have tried yet with my lathe.

Oh and the skew I have been using is a HarborFreight HSS 1/2" skew from their boxed set.

Joshua

Belton Garvin
02-04-2009, 7:35 PM
I turned quite a few finials over the holidays...part of christmas ornaments and I recently turned my first hollow form with finial. I have found that my favorite tool no matter what I'm doing is my bowl gouge. I do just about all the big stuff with it. I also have a couple small detail tools I picked up at Woodcraft for $3 a piece that I have a custom grind on for tight spaces. When it comes to the really tight spots I use a blade from a box knife to crisp up the bottom. (I picked that up from a felow named Jim Syvertsen)

Jim Kountz
02-04-2009, 8:08 PM
I used the gouge at first but have been gradually trying to incorporate the skew more and more. It just leaves a much better finish for me and besides its another notch in the ol belt ya know!! Do whatever is easier for you though!!

Keith Burns
02-04-2009, 8:25 PM
3/8" spindle gouge with Cindy Drozda type grind.

Jim Kountz
02-04-2009, 8:33 PM
3/8" spindle gouge with Cindy Drozda type grind.

Oh man thats twice now that the Cindy Drozda grind has been mentioned. Now I gotta go learn what that is, buy a new gouge, learn how to do the grind, practice with the new tool, oh yeah make a new handle for the new tool, use it, then determine I cant use it, get upset, leave it alone for a while, then come back to it, then remember why I left it alone in the first place...........
Thanks guys! Thanks alot!!:D:D

Who me obsessed? nah

Doug Thompson
02-05-2009, 2:00 AM
I use a 3/8" Crown Pro PM spindle gouge with a detail grind on it. I guess I figured a "spindle" gouge was supposed to be used on spindle work so that's what I started with and it seems to work OK for me.

That is what Cindy Drozda uses, a spindle gouge ground like a detail with a nose angle of about 35 degrees??? it's done freehand with a convex bevel. I did see her in Nashville a few weeks ago totally expecting a detail gouge but it sure surprised me to find a spindle gouge.

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2009, 1:43 PM
That is what Cindy Drozda uses, a spindle gouge ground like a detail with a nose angle of about 35 degrees??? it's done freehand with a convex bevel. I did see her in Nashville a few weeks ago totally expecting a detail gouge but it sure surprised me to find a spindle gouge.

I was surprised to when I saw her demo. It is just a plain spindle gouge with swept back wings. Her angle is 35 degrees but she also relieves the bevel so it is shorter for getting into tight places. Her actual bevel is only about 1/16" to no more than 1/8" wide. Like I said I made my 1/4" and 3/8" like hers and they work extremely well on small finials.

Oh shoot Jim K. you were just looking for a excuse to buy another tool.:eek::rolleyes::cool:;)