PDA

View Full Version : General 6" Jointer

Shane Johnstone
02-03-2009, 10:58 PM
I just got the knives re-sharpened. Now i get lots of chatter. Have tired many different types of wood. Different directions. Any suggestions

Thank You

Dan Hahr
02-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Blades bevel up? If so, I'd check the edge. There may still be a coarse wire burr on the back of it. Grinding can roll the edge and you may need to hone the face and bevel.

If that's not the issue, it would have to be the alignment.

Dan

John Hedges
02-04-2009, 8:17 AM
Is this the first time you've reset the knives. Sounds like they just need to be adjusted.

Frank Drew
02-04-2009, 8:31 AM
Shane,

By "chatter", do you mean uneven cutting, you're getting a washboard effect?

You probably need to check the knives; they have to be set so that they're cutting precisely in the same arc along their entire lengths, not sitting too far out of the cutterhead, tightened down well.....

It's unlikely that anything went wrong with the jointer itself (unless the infeed table is too low and the rough cutting is because you're trying to take too much off.)

Shane Johnstone
02-04-2009, 11:25 PM
this is the first time that i have had these knives sharpened. What i am mean by chatter, when trying to take off 1/32 off some red oak, the board wants to jump upwards, and bounce.

John Hedges
02-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Sounds like one of the knives is a bit higher than the others. I would check that they are all even with the outfeed table at the top of their arc. What method did you use to reset the knives after they were sharpened. One other thing. You don't by chance have them backwards because that would certainly cause the jumping your referring to.