PDA

View Full Version : Belt And Disk Sander

Wyatt Holm
02-03-2009, 8:20 PM
Hello,
This is an old sander we have had for years. Just recently I decided to try to restore it. I would order replacement parts, but I don't have a manual and don't know where to order from. If anyone else has a sander similar to this one, could you show me pictures so we can get an idea how to build the new parts? Or if you have or know where I can get a manual please tell me thank you.
Wyatt

John Fricke
02-03-2009, 8:43 PM
I found this site.......might be worth a look http://owwm.com/

Richard Madison
02-03-2009, 9:48 PM
Looks like it has mfg. tags on both sides of the base. With that info, someone at owwm could probably help.

hank dekeyser
02-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Right on track guys, I use tha site often for research - They have so much info available - good luck w/ finding your parts, I love rebuilding older stuff- my last one is a "state mfg. co." model b-5 (if I remember right) spindle sander. Prteey much just tore it down - blasted it - and put it back together - amazingly simple machine. Bets wishes

Steve Schlumpf
02-04-2009, 8:33 AM
Found this hiding in the Turners Forum and thought you folks could offer some advice!

Wyatt Holm
02-04-2009, 1:41 PM
It is a Rockwell brand. I tried looking up the serial and model numbers, but found nothing of much help.

Alex Shanku
02-04-2009, 2:27 PM
Looks like this is it.

Yours is missing some crucial components.

Dont know how far I would want to get into a restore of that particular machine.

Perhaps part it out on OWWM

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=5606

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/5606-A.JPG

Image courtesy of OWWM.com and Steve Marshall

Wyatt Holm
02-04-2009, 4:00 PM
Thank you. I already found that picture, that is just what I need. We will probably cast the new parts out of aluminum or iron.

Alex Shanku
02-04-2009, 4:07 PM
Thank you. I already found that picture, that is just what I need. We will probably cast the new parts out of aluminum or iron.

You're planning on casting a new table, bracket, then cast and machine a drum???

Unless you have some parts you didnt show in the original pictures, what are you going to be using as your pattern?

Peter Scoma
02-04-2009, 4:27 PM
if you like restoring old machinery I guess go for it.

I'd junk it and buy a new model. I don't see how you could get that machine functional again.

PS

Alex Shanku
02-04-2009, 4:32 PM
if you like restoring old machinery I guess go for it.

I'd junk it and buy a new model. I don't see how you could get that machine functional again.

PS

By looking for people parting out old sanders. Or, by looking for parts (tables etc) that are interchangeable between various machines.

Sure, in this case I would part it out, as I think its not worth it (plenty of combo sanders out there with a more traditional belt size, with FAR less work to get them operational) but these machines, IMO, are quite superior to what you can buy today.

Rod Sheridan
02-05-2009, 9:25 AM

but these machines, IMO, are quite superior to what you can buy today.

Alex, there are beter machines than that available new, such as the General 100-5 sander.

6" X 60" belt, 16" disk, made in Canada. It's about 500 lbs of cast iron, and is very smooth and powerful. I've managed to take off much more wood than intended in a heartbeat by accident with one.

Regards, Rod.

Alex Shanku
02-05-2009, 1:44 PM
Alex, there are beter machines than that available new, such as the General 100-5 sander.

6" X 60" belt, 16" disk, made in Canada. It's about 500 lbs of cast iron, and is very smooth and powerful. I've managed to take off much more wood than intended in a heartbeat by accident with one.

Regards, Rod.

Sure, but what you are describing is not a comparable machine. Apples/oranges.

Chip Lindley
02-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Good Luck finding the parts you need for a restoration! Ebay is always a place to look. But, buying one part at a time, and never finding a few crucial ones, is Frustrating at best, Futile at most! Just make space for the old sander in the corner and wait patiently. But, IF you need a sander NOW, *complete* used machines are out there!

I just bought a duplicate Boice-Crane oscillating spindle sander to get the Spindles! I pick it up this Sunday, and will be re-selling it soon as I can! No base or motor, Just the guts and table! (and One 3/4" spindle!)

Wyatt Holm
02-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Casting isn't that hard. It is only three parts I need to cast. I posted here because I was looking for a manual or pictures that would give me an idea of how it would go together. The table would be the easiest to cast, we would simply make a pattern out of wood and then go from there. The wheel an the bracket that holds it would be a little more difficult, but not to bad. After we get the parts made, we would take them to a mill and a lathe to finish them off. The main reason I want to restore it is because I am just getting into casting, and want something to work on for practice. I think this would be a good project. Casting is neat to me because you take old scrap, ordinarily junk , get it hot and melt it and you build it into nice new parts.

edit: I would probably use the other fly wheel as a pattern to cast a new one.