PDA

View Full Version : My work so far

John Beaver
02-03-2009, 7:36 PM
Hello Everyone.

I’ve been lurking around here since the end of December and thought it was about time I shared my work. I just love the positive comments everyone makes, and have learned alot from the site.

About 10 years ago I inherited a circa 1979 Rockwell Lathe #46-201. I’ve practically never turned it on until this past November when my daughters got interested in yo-yo’s and I decided to make them some. I’ve always wanted to learn how to turn wood, so I thought this would be a good place to start. I am now completely obsessed with woodturning and am having a ton of fun learning.

Following is everything I have done on the lathe since November. Comments and critiques are welcome.

The first 2 projects were done with no instruction, very little knowledge and a couple of very old Greenlee chisels. These included a parting chisel, an extremely flat fingernail grind spindle gouge and a weird flat gouge / scraper. At this point I didn’t even have a roughing gouge, and only a screw plate to hold the wood.

Birch, Wenge and Purple Heart Yo-yo’s. This was my very first attempt at a finished project on the lathe. Done entirely with a parting chisel and a fingernail grind gouge. I had to work very slowly and carefully to avoid catches and tearouts.

8” Birch and Wenge Vase. After the Yo-Yo’s this was my first attempt at really making something on the lathe. I didn’t have any blocks of wood, so out of necessity I had to glue something up. The inside is a little rough as I did not have the proper tools for working the inside.

4” tall maple box. For christmas my wife gave me a basic set of Sorby chisels. (weren’t those christmas sales great ?) so this was just a practice piece with the new chisels, and seeing if I could do a box w/ lid.

5” pencil cup. Maple, Wenge, Padauk. Again, kind of a practice piece to get an understanding of segmented turning. I really like the solid wood contrasting with the segments. Next time I’ll pay better attention to the grain direction on the segments.

continued on next thread.

Brian Brown
02-03-2009, 8:58 PM
John,

Very nice pieces. I especially like the yoyos, the pencil cup, and the curly vase. Your choice of woods on the pencil cup is excellent for color. I always wanted to try a yoyo, and I don't know why. I don't yo. Try to keep the padauk piece out of direct sunlight. It changes to a darker red brown color fairly quickly, and that orange red is so striking with the maple and wenge.

Don Carter
02-03-2009, 9:12 PM
John:
Good looking stuff! I don't think my first turnings were anything close to that.
Mine looked more like a stick with bumps on it. I think you are on to something here.

All the best.

Don

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Those are all beauties. I really like the yo-yo. Choice of woods is great.

Jim Kountz
02-03-2009, 11:20 PM
John, fantastic turnings!! I love the vase and the box!!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2009, 11:36 PM
John...pretty turnings! I hope my wife doesn't see that pencil box.

alex carey
02-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Great work, it's nice to have you comment and show your work. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

Steve Schlumpf
02-04-2009, 8:46 AM
John - Welcome to the Creek! Becoming an active member here is the fastest way I know to learn! I lurked for over a year before understanding that the only way to get my questions answered was to ask them myself.

Great work! Love the variety of turnings and all the combinations of woods. Really like the vase - I'm a sucker for curly!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Paul Douglass
02-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Great work.. I made my first yoyo last week and it is not near as pretty and I had a whole DVD of instruction! Have you checked these out:

http://www.yoyospin.com/gallery/yoyos/