PDA

View Full Version : Posting pics

Phil Phelps
07-02-2004, 6:23 PM
Well, while I was away..... Hey, what's up? I used to post with no problem. I'd go into Photoshop and edit all pics at 3" x whatever, and at 150 resolution. I tried to upload and the KB is too big! If I save the pic at 107 kb, or whatever the allowed pixel is, my picture is way too small. Oh I know it's operator error, but I need hep. And the Rebel can keep his smart*%# comments to hisself :D :D Muchas gracias in advance.

Dave Richards
07-02-2004, 6:31 PM
Phil, reduce the resolution to around 90. That will probably help get the file size down to a better value.

Joseph N. Myers
07-02-2004, 7:38 PM
Phil,

The way I understand it, Photoshop is the cream of the crop --- so it must be "operator's error". Actually, I find the better the program, the more complicated and the harder it is to use. I use "Windows Explorer" to reduce the size and "HP Photo & Imaging" to put in the title.

In any event, there are a lot of people having problems posting pictures. The following is a post I made a couple of days ago. I hope it helps.

Regards, Joe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello and gloat w/pics (I hope)

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Martin,

Welcome to the forum.

There are 3 or 4 threads generated in the past two weeks on uploading pictures so I'll list them and you can go from there. At what point did you get stuck? That would help but I think the posts will probably cover them.

"Sos", Ted Daigle

"Picture", Ralph Steffey

"Questions on responding to a Post on SMC", Joseph N. Myers

Regards, Joe

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dennis Peacock
07-02-2004, 8:41 PM
Phil,

While in PhotoShop....click on Image, Image Size and use the Pixel sizing and change the largest number (height or width) to 600 and the other number should adjust auto-magicly for ya. Then choose the jpg format and select "3" for your quality. Should work just fine.

Phil Phelps
07-02-2004, 8:42 PM
[QUOTE=Joseph N. Myers]Phil,

At what point did you get stuck? That would help but I think the posts will probably cover them.

Regards, Joe

Like I said, it used to be different. Like back in the seventies I pick up a quart of stain and proceed as usual. NOT. They changed the formula. Sorry %$$%^&^&*!!!!! I'll have to play with it and override something. If I set the bytes to conform to SMC desires, it automatically reduces the size of the picture. What, me worry? ( famous quote) I'll get goin' soon.

Joseph N. Myers
07-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Phil,

I feel for you. I programmed computers (the bigger ones) for 35 years before I retired 1 1/2 years ago and at the time, thought that I'd was done with them. Now I deal with them (these smaller ones) all the time and many times, is doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I responded to a post earlier today about someone having trouble with things that worked and then stop working. Well, it happen to me. I spent almost 2 hours trying to duplicate your problems and had a whole bunch of stuff for you --- but it got wiped out. No matter, I learned a lot about my setup, or lack of it, that should help me in the future.

I did find out, in general, that reducing either the byte or pixel size will reduce the size of the picture. But in my testing, it was very little and I had to really reduce it a lot to see the differences.

As far as your stuff, did you try what Dennis suggested. If you did and it still doesn't work, I would start with trying to get the size in bytes under say 100kb instead of the pixel size. Your shouldn't be too far off if your camara is set at the lowest "quality mode", in my case, 0.3 mb. You can use Window Explorer until you get that size down and things working, then go to Photoshop.

For testing, you could use Mail or Word Perfert as it is a lot easier that trying to do it through SMC. By the way, if and when you use SMC, you can send a post, check it out, edit it and/or delete it. I've done it and it works.

Good luck and regards, Joe

Phil Phelps
07-03-2004, 10:18 AM
Phil,

I did find out, in general, that reducing either the byte or pixel size will reduce the size of the picture. But in my testing, it was very little and I had to really reduce it a lot to see the differences.

Good luck and regards, Joe

I have found the way, (I posted on Fountain...), and it takes a little longer. What happened to... " If it ain't broke...."
Thanks, guys.
Phil

Aaron Koehl
07-03-2004, 11:48 PM
And 72 DPI (PPI) is plenty for the 'Creek.