PDA

View Full Version : Retirement Looming...

Jim DeLaney
07-02-2004, 6:11 PM
Okay, I've resigned my position as an HOA manager, and will be retiring at the end of September (90 more days!!!).

We plan to sell our home here in SoCal, and are looking at Eastern Ohio as an economical place to retire. Specifically, we're considering Austintown/Boardman/Poland/Canfield area, somewhat South of Youngstown, OH, and West of Pittsburg, PA.

Anyway, does anyone have any insight as to woodworking stores/supplies, etc. in that area? Also, for the wife, what about sewing/quilting?

We're really looking forward to this retirement thing, and being 'people of liesure' after 40+ years of working. We wanted to do this at age 55, but it wasn't in the cards, then. Now, at 59, we think it's 'doable.'

Any info will be helpful.

Frank Pellow
07-02-2004, 6:22 PM
Congratulations!

I retired a year and a half ago at age 60. I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I am enjoying mine.

My advice is to look for a place where you can build your own workshop tailored to your own needs.

Tyler Howell
07-02-2004, 6:35 PM
Congrats Jim, You've earned it. Enjoy!;)

Halsey MCCombs
07-02-2004, 6:41 PM
I am sure you will enjoy every day. I do! Halsey

John Olson
07-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Remember in retirement every day is a holiday and every meal is a banquet

Jerry Olexa
07-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Jim, I used to live in central Ohio (over 10 years) and had business up in the area you are considering, I'm also retired and enjoying it immensely. It provides TIME you never had before to pursue what you like. Remember the name "Hartville Hardware". They are located in that general area (NE Ohio) and it is an OUTSTANDING and big Woodworking store. I bought my Delta table saw there. They have great sales 2/year as well as catalog sales. Cleveland has the usual chain ww shops as well as tool suppliers. Columbus (2 hrs south) also has good asst of ww shops!! Its a good state.There are also local sources of wood but you have to search them out! You should be a happy camper! Jerry
PS this is near AMISH country so quilting abounds for your wife (altho Im no expert in that area)

Earl Reid
07-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Hi, Jim
I,m sure you will like the area south of Youngstown. There is a lot of history in that area. Retirement is wonderful, but its better to stay busy and woodworking and all the things that go with it. I planned to retire at 55, but stayed to 56 and the was a consultant, full time for a year and then on call for a few years. We moved back to NE Ohio in 91. Its been wood working and travel and shopping for tools etc. Good luck and enjoy.
Earl

Chris Padilla
07-03-2004, 2:31 AM
Jim,

Congrats on your impending retirement from the rat race. Are you prepared for the dramatic climate change you will encounter going from SoCal to Ohio?? :D

John Haylow
07-03-2004, 6:47 AM
Congratulations Jim! I wish you both all the best on your retirement.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2004, 8:40 AM
Congratulations Jim. I missed an offered early retirement in February. I still get profane when I think about it. Enjoy! Do I have to tell you that I'm "Green with envy?"

John Shuk
07-03-2004, 8:45 AM
Congratulations! The climate change is a big adjustment. But hey, when it snows you don't have to be anywhere. Awesome. I've got alot of years before I'm ready to retire Since it wasn't me who won the $290 million lottery last night.

Mark Valsi
07-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Jim,

I have thought of moving "home" to the YOungstown area for the last few years but my wife says, no way !

I spent the first 22 years of my life in Warren OH, about 15 miles from Youngstown and couldn't wait to get out here to So. Cal.

Now that I'm retired, and no longer chasing surfer girls, I wouldn't mind moving back to Trumbull or Mahoning Co.

However, do you think you will be able to handle the weather ? Hi humidity in the summer, ugly winters . . . I don't know if I could or not !

But, man, you are oging to live in a nice house. What you sell your house for here in So Cal, you will be able to buy a mansion in OH and then get a nice condo in Fla for the winter, and still have cash left over !!

Good luck

Mark
BGSU '66

Ralph Barhorst
07-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement.

I happen to live in western Ohio and there are plenty of sources for finding both woodworking equipment as well as sources for wood. Two sources that I use are:

http://www.millerhardwoodlumber.com/
http://www.frankmiller.com/fm_framset.htm

Frank Miller Lumber is a great supplier for both rift and quarter sawn lumber.
Miller Hardwood is not associated with Frank Miller Lumber but they also have a good selection and very reasonable prices.

I have purchased wood from both of them.

My wife and daughter are both quilters and believe me there are plenty of Fabric Shops and Quilt guilds around this area. My wife spends a lot more on her quilting hobby than I do on my woodworking.

Another poster said something about the Amish area north of Columbus. This is an interesting area for both woodworking and quilting. You can even tour some of the factories and small shops that make nice furniture. Their quality is excellent and the prices are reasonable.

My wife and I even worked on a woodworking/quilting project together. See the attached picture. I designed the "Quilt chest" to match the pattern that my wife used on the quilt that is shown in the picture. By the way, the quilt pattern for the quilt block is called a "carpenters wheel".

Enjoy Ohio when you get here. The weather is not all that bad and the people are great.

Ralph Barhorst
Tipp City, Ohio

Frank Pellow
07-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Great work on both the quilt and the chest Ralph!

By the way, my wife who is also a quilter, said: "the quilt is nice but the chest is amazing".

Jim DeLaney
07-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Jim,

Congrats on your impending retirement from the rat race. Are you prepared for the dramatic climate change you will encounter going from SoCal to Ohio?? :D

Actually, I have some family in that area. Also, my wife and I both grew up about a hundred miles South of there (Wheeling, WV).

I've been checking out the real estate ads for the area, and homes are selling for about 25% of what they cost here in SoCal. Property taxes, etc. are also much lower.

The weather will be the biggest adaptation we'll have to make. We've been in SoCal for 28 years, and sure haven't seen much snow! 55° is a cold day here, so that's going to be quite a transition. Oh, yeah, and the humidity in the Summer, too! Some of those Summer days are like a steam bath...

We're figuring that, with no jobs to commute to, and no real reason to have to go out, the snow, etc. won't be that big a problem. Just stock up the groceries, and stay in during bad weather. If it gets really bad, I suppose there's always 'wintering over' in Florida, or something...

We'll probably not be moving there until mid/late October - just when it's getting cold - so the transition might be somewhat brutal, initially.

As for amenities, we're figuring that if we have to, we can always go to Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Columbus for whatever we can'tfind locally. Our needs aren't really all that extravagant...

Earl Reid
07-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Jim, there are several saw mills , with kilns with in 40 miles of Canfield. they have native lumber from Ohio. There is also quilting stores etc in the area.

That is a beautiful chest and quilt Ralph.

Earl

Daniel Rabinovitz
07-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Jim
Well, here's the opinion from the southwestern PA native (We say howdy).
It seems that the $400,000 homes are situated in the north hills of Pittsburgh - Zelinople and the intersection of routes 79 and Route 76 (the turnpike). Although you could go further north - to Harrisville or up in Lee Shirer country (near Lake Erie).
I am located about 25 miles east of downtown Pittsburgh (in Westmoreland County) - so that ain't the way you specified.
Well, my daughter lives in Houston Pa (about 5 miles north of Washington, Pa). Home building is going great guns in that area and it's in Washington County (lower taxes, etc)
Stay OUT OF ALLEGHENY COUNTY - those politicians are trying to pay for two (2) stadiums and other diversified high cost trivialities with taxpayer money.
West and out Route 60 toward the Greater Pittsburgh Airport and northwest of the city might be the way to go. But the building boom hasn't really started there. Route 60 is now finished from downtown Pittsburgh to Sharon PA and it costs you a buck and a hlf to ride it. (Well I lied - it ain't called Route 60 nearer to the city - it's really 279/60)
(Side bar) - Woodcrafter's is located in a big new plaza at the corner of Route 60 and Route 22 (near the turn off to Stubenville)

Ohio
Real good choice
My nephew lives in Boardman OH
He has had 3 homes there and sold the one because of the rising realestate prices and age of the home - actually made money by selling and buying a newer home.
Real estate building is booming in that area - Route 11 (from the river to the lake - freeway) cuts right through there.
The Boardman area is growing by leaps and bounds.
Doll Lumber Company in Southington OH - really excellent place to purchase different species of wood for projects.
My problem is that I ramble allot - so maybe its time to cut off.
I have been retired since 1995 and love it - the winters aren't that bad but the humidity is unbreathable (new word). But at least it isn't Florida in the summer.
Daniel :D

Jim DeLaney
07-04-2004, 2:06 PM
Daniel,
Great info! Thanks a lot!

Daniel Rabinovitz
07-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Jim
As I reread the post a couple of times, I saw that I missed some additional information.

The intersection of Route 60 and Route 22 - A very large, VERY LARGE, VERY LARGE, Shopping area has been developed on BOTH sides of Route 60 - called Robinson Town center with a bridge above Route 60 to get shoppers to both halves of the shopping area. Very large IKEA and Kaufmanns and Lowe's and Target and Barnes & Noble etc, etc, etc, as well as the Woodcrafters and various eating emporiums - (fast and slow).

On McKnight Road in the "north hills" has a brand new Rockler Woodworking store, or so I have been told. Also in the same neighborhood but on old Route 19 is the other Woodworking store (I can't remember the name).

Oh! I said Route 11 from the river to the lake. I assumed that you knew what that meant. Ohio has built a freeway from Stubenville on the Ohio River to Ashtabula at Lake Erie - straight through (well, almost - Youngstown got in the way). From Route 7 along the Ohio River heading north, make a left onto Route 11 and up along the west side of Boardman and Youngstown then make a right and combine with interstate 80 for a couple of miles (heading east) and then make a left and head north for Ashtabula (Lake Erie) on the east side of Warren.

Daniel ;)

Bill Sampson
07-05-2004, 5:58 PM
Jim,
Congrats on your impending retirement. A wise retiree on this board stated some time ago, "when you retire, say no to every request to build something for someone for a year. It's your retirement, enjoy it". I retired a year ago, took me until June this year to start saying no; still good advice though.

One of several transfers took me to the area you are moving. We chose to build and live in the Poland area. Enjoyed our time while we were there. (In transfers to several areas, the cost of living in eastern Ohio was the least expensive of all.) My closest corporate friend just retired and returned to this area. He also chose to move into Poland. Says housing is affordable, and the living areas are quite nice. Friends in the area also tell us that Boardman and Canfield are great communities to live in. Just buy warm clothing!!!!

New Wilmington, Pa is a small college town just east of Poland, with a mid size Amish community. Lots of quilters. There is also a resturant in N/W called the Tavern that should be on your list of "must" places to go. Food and service are wonderful. No menu, waiter quotes it for you.

I used to purchase high quality lumber from Baird Lumber Mill in Canfield. Don't know if they are still in operation.

Much success in your move.

Bill Sampson, Richmond