PDA

View Full Version : Footprint tenon saw quality question

Richard Dooling
02-03-2009, 2:52 PM
Any thoughts as to the quality of Footprint saws? I have a tenon saw from the early eighties . . . ah that would be 1980s, that is in good condition. I don't seem to see them anywhere other than UK sites.

Is this a saw worth bringing back into tune?

RD

Chuck Tringo
02-03-2009, 10:24 PM
actually, Grizzly just began selling Footprint saws on their website...and although I haven't seen a Tenon saw there, a larger Sears store in Tucson has quite a bit of Footprint stuff now. Im not impressed with much of what Ive seen of footprint stuff nowadays, but if the steel is good and you already own it, resharpening would definitely be cheaper than buying a new saw, especially if you do it yourself.

Ray Gardiner
02-03-2009, 11:39 PM
http://www.footprint-tools.co.uk/Products/saws.htm

Good handtool makers were a bit thin on the ground in the 1980's ( 1960's to 1990's even)

Quality wise, they are a better maker than a lot of other 1980's makers.

I have a set of footprint chisels that are good general purpose bench chisels. probably dating from around the same era.

And, after all, they are a Sheffield based firm, maybe faded glory but still "made in Sheffield" has a little magic left..

Regards
Ray

Richard Dooling
02-04-2009, 9:16 AM
Thanks for the replies. The teeth were professionally sharpened maybe 20 years ago but the saw has been stored pretty well and shows no appreciable rust - so maybe this is the saw to use to learn sharpening.

I sharpen my own chisels and plane irons but saws?!?!? What am I thinking?:eek:

Looks like a way to screw up a good saw and blow some of my precious (few) shop hours. Oh well - in for a penny, in for a pounding.

RD

Richard Magbanua
02-04-2009, 9:37 AM
Well, that's what I thought until I read up on saw sharpening. It really isn't very difficult. Actually, I think it's just as easy and sometimes faster to sharpen a saw, especially rip, than it is to sharpen a chisel or plane blade. Don't think about it too much and just do it. You'll be wondering why more people don't do it themselves.

Richard Dooling
02-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Richard,

Any particular book you would recommend?

Did you make or buy a saw vise?

Thanks

lowell holmes
02-04-2009, 11:42 AM
The Tom Law video "Handsaw Sharpening" is good.
Also, Google handsaw sharpening and you should find several sites showing you the way.

Getting the proper size file is important for the ppi you are working on is important. They are available on line. If you are going to file 15ppi, then you need a 4" xxslim file.

I made a vise and also bought an old one on Ebay.

I sharpen my LN saws and also old Disston back saws.