PDA

View Full Version : Should I Seal the Gaps Between OSB Sheets?

Pat Germain
02-03-2009, 2:31 PM
I'm in the process of putting up OSB on my shop walls. Since the garage shop is far from square, there are some slight gaps between some sheets. Is it necessary or a good idea to seal these gaps before painting? For example, should I put joint compound, or something, in there?

Thanks.

Jason Roehl
02-03-2009, 3:19 PM
Not necessary, but a little caulk will certainly help the looks of the final product, and add a bit to the air-infiltration prevention.

David G Baker
02-03-2009, 4:27 PM
Pat,
I would use latex paint caulk to fill the voids if they are not too large. If they are large use a foam filler rope and top this off with the painters caulk.

Pat Germain
02-03-2009, 5:05 PM
Gee, I didn't even consider using caulk. Thanks, guys!

Chris Padilla
02-03-2009, 5:54 PM
Just make sure it is paintable caulk.

glenn bradley
02-03-2009, 6:38 PM
I used paintable caulk. I had painted before caulking but didn't like the look of the gaps so I caulked and touched up.

Anthony Whitesell
02-04-2009, 8:44 AM
I wouldn't worry about the gaps based on air infiltration, the seams should be on the studs and the air blocked that way. If your looking to fill them before painting for a smoother look, I would either use joint compound or chaulking. There was a suggestion around here once upon a time, to paint the OSB, then skim in joint compound and paint a second time. The idea was that this would provide a smother finish and although the compound may be get chipped, the under layer of paint would help to hide it until you were ready to repaint the shop.

Matt Meiser
02-04-2009, 8:53 AM
I didn't do anything with mine--I just painted. At first you'll notice them, but once you start hanging stuff all over the walls, they'll disappear.