PDA

View Full Version : Beall Buff System-Ever on sale

Steve Mawson
02-03-2009, 1:51 PM
Just an economic question. I have seen the results of several of you that use the Beall Buff System. Looks like something that I could use but in no hurry if it is ever on sale. Thanks for the help.

Brian Kent
02-03-2009, 3:52 PM
I can't remember seeing it on sale. I love the quality of polish I get from it (using a drill press).

Frank Townend
02-03-2009, 6:06 PM
Don't tell Beall, but I would have paid more for mine. I like it that much.

Dahl Troy Perry
02-03-2009, 6:27 PM
Just bought mine with 4" beall ball buffs at Woodcraft last weekend for 15% off the balls were $42.99 -15% =$36.54 and the Beall Buff System was $69.99 -15% =$59.49 They had 15% off :Deverything in the store but only 10% on power tools.

Dahl

Jeff Nicol
02-03-2009, 7:10 PM
You can build your own, I saw it somewhere on the web about a guy that used some 3/4 pipe, threaded rod and washers and nuts and made the 3 wheel buffer to mount on the lathe. I just use 3 different wheels and mount them in my drill chuck on the taper and they work fine. You can buy the cloth wheels and arbors and make an adapter for a motor and change the grits that way if you want a stand alone buffer. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Frugal in Wisconsin,

Jeff

Gerold Griffin
02-03-2009, 7:18 PM
I got a chance to see some work first hand that was buffed using the beal system and the finish put mine to shame. Finally got the nerve up and placed an order to Woodcraft and it was backordered. Well shoot been a little puny anyway but made it to the shop last weedend and just about finished my latest project. And the BEAL CAME IN TODAY!!!!!!:D

Bob Noles
02-03-2009, 7:20 PM
I got mine here http://donpencil.com/buffingsystems.htm and saved a little and have been most happy with it.

Scott Conners
02-03-2009, 7:42 PM
I love my Don Pencil buff system, and prefer the long thread on spindle adapter he uses over Beall's method.

Dennis Peacock
02-03-2009, 7:46 PM
You don't have to be spendy on buffing setups.
I get my buffing supplies and buffs from

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs

I watch them from time to time and they'll put their buffs on sale like a buy one get one free kind of deal. I've been using their buffs and compounds for about 3 years now and I simply refuse to pay premium dollar for the same buffs bought from a different supplier.

I'm not affiliated with them....just a satisfied customer.

Mike Null
02-04-2009, 6:00 AM
I've had Beall for at least 20 years and am always amazed at the results.

Mike Spanbauer
02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I looked at your link Dennis, and I really like the looks of their buffing machines (the wood kit is especially attractive). However, from a price perspective, I didn't see much difference? Roughly $15 each for the 3 wheels in the Beall kit, plus the compound for about $5 each puts the components @ $60 already. That's without the arbor bolt which would have to be added... maybe I'm missing something?

The B1G1 would certainly make the option much more attractive though. I've bookmarked them and will keep them in mind.

Cheers,

mike

Dennis Peacock
02-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Well, I bought my buffing machine from them when they had them on sale for $99 and I order several buffs at $6 each with a buy-one-get-one-free deal. So I stocked up when they had the sale. You just have to watch their site for any sales that would suit your fancy. :D

Joe Aliperti
05-15-2009, 9:57 AM
It's sale today (the day after I ordered it :mad:) at Woodcraft:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=141069&FamilyID=2036

EDIT: Woodcraft came through and credited me for the difference! :cool:

Mike Minto
05-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Caswell plating gets my vote for buffing supplies, too - aside from the slow speed (1100 rpm) buffers they sell, their wheels are very attractively prices and very high quality, as are their compounds. Mike

Jim Underwood
05-15-2009, 11:25 AM
This is a little off topic, but I found this great booklet on buffing at the Caswell plating site:

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/Buffbook.pdf

I bought several different wheels from Sears, along with the buffing compounds. With this information, I should be able to get my system going...

I plan to bolt the buff wheels to a piece of wood chucked in my little Nova chucks.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-15-2009, 11:52 AM
The metal buffing wheels are "harder" than the wood type. The wood-type of buffs, since they're "softer" conform better to the bowls than the harder metal buffs. Just something I noticed, buying cheap wheels from Grizzly. Griz has several different wheels, if you want to check them out too.

Haven't seen a cheap replacement for the bowl buffs though. Bought a set from W/C, used my annual birthday 10% off coupon.

Jim Underwood
05-15-2009, 2:33 PM
The metal buffing wheels are "harder" than the wood type. The wood-type of buffs, since they're "softer" conform better to the bowls than the harder metal buffs. Just something I noticed, buying cheap wheels from Grizzly.

I wonder what makes a wheel "harder" or "softer"?

In the link I provided, it seems that is spelled out. Material and construction seem to be the main criteria.

I bought several kinds of wheels at Sears, and some of them are hard, and some are soft. I still haven't tried them, but will pretty soon.....

Joe Aliperti
05-15-2009, 4:00 PM
I've heard that you can remove some of the stitching to make standard buffing wheels more pliable and able to conform to a bowl better.

Greg Just
05-15-2009, 4:19 PM
I built my own with threaded rod, a bunch of nuts and washers and buffing wheels from Caswell. I also bought their mushroom buffs for my drill.

Mike Minto
05-15-2009, 4:37 PM
I can't imagine a buffing wheel softer than Caswell's "Domet" buff. It's like new cotton filled with air, leaves a very nice waxed finish. Mike