PDA

View Full Version : Power feeder

Barrett Floyd
02-03-2009, 1:12 PM
Just curious. I was wondering if a power feeder would not accomplish the same amount of safety for a table saw as a SS. Seems a lot cheaper if it can accomplish a similar goal. I've never used one, but would like to know.

Rod Sheridan
02-03-2009, 1:25 PM
Hi Barret, a power feeder will allow you to keep your hands away from a tablesaw blade, which obviously improves safety.

A blade guard prevents your fingers from contacting the blade as well.

The problem with conventional guards is that they are mounted on the splitter, so they have to be removed if you are performing non through cuts such as dadoes, rebates and grooves.

An overarm guard, such as the Excalibur can be used for non through cuts, so it never has to be removed. It also has good dust collection, I have one on my saw.

Coupled with a removable splitter ( I have a Merlin), the overarm guard will allow you to perform all operations with the guard in place.

That's the primary line of defense for a tablesaw, and yes it is less expensive than a SawStop.

The power feeder is also a primary type of guard, however you can have feeder accidents if you're not careful. (Caught in rollers, fed into saw).

I like the SS technology, however it's a secondary safety system meant to supplement guards, splitters, feeders, push sticks etc.

If I were to purchase a SS type machine, I'd still refit it with an overarm guard, and have the best of both worlds.

Regards, Rod.

Chip Lindley
02-03-2009, 4:16 PM
Hello Rod! Many table saws are equipped with power feeders in commercial shops for redundant ripping operations. Saves on operator fatigue and makes for consistent machining.

In a home shop, any linear ripping operation could probably benefit from the use of a PF. A lot of time would be spent setting up the PF for each specific cut. But any crosscutting operation done on the TS would have to be done without its benefit. So the bottom line is....NO, NOT REALLY!

Jeff Duncan
02-03-2009, 5:40 PM
Yup I'll second what Chip said, the amount of time setting and re-setting the feeder proves to be too time consuming and not worth the trouble.
If your planning on doing large jobs with many repetitive rips it's a good thing to have. But once that batch goes through and you have to reset it for several other size rips....well you get the picture.
good luck,
JeffD

Peter Quinn
02-03-2009, 7:30 PM
Yeah, make that a third NOPE. A saw stop will stop the blade if you touch it with your hands, a power feeder will not stop the blade if you touch it with your hands. A feeder does make repetitive ripping easier and more accurate, safer too IMO, but you could still manage to get a finger in there if you tried hard enough, and the feeder is not used for cross cutting, so if you do a lot of that on your TS you will need to seek alternative protection. Also, if you have only one saw you will need to be able to get that feeder OFF the table for some operations with large or wide panels, or long cross cuts, which can be cumbersome in a small shop by yourself. At work we have a dedicated saw with a feeder. In my home shop my feeder (which weights about 125#) moves between shaper and TS as needed via rolling cart so i never have to dead lift it.

So yes, a feeder is a valuable addition to the shop, but no, it is not exactly a replacement for the protection provided by a saw stop. So get a saw stop with a feeder and enjoy the best of both worlds!

Steve Rozmiarek
02-03-2009, 9:44 PM
Ok, I'm going to disagree with a couple things that have been said here, sort of. First, I don't think a power feeder is useless for cross cuts, catagorically. If you are cross cutting a 1x6, yes, the power feeder would create some excitement. However, if you are crosscutting sheetstock, say 12 or more inches wide, the feeder sure could work.

Second, some ingenuity may be needed, but I know Felder has a swing away feeder mount, so I suspect others do as well. This would fix the issue of mounting and dismounting.

Also, for rip cuts, why would you have to reset your feeder for each different fence setting? Just set up your feeder as close to the blade, on the fence side, as possible, and as long as you don't need to rip narrower than the space that the feeder needs, you shouldn't have to reset your feeder, just your fence, as you normally do.

As a replacement for a shield on a table saw, I don't think it would work very well, because the blade is still going to be exposed do to the feeder running on the right side of the blade, on the keeper stock. The feeder would certainly easily add consistancy though.

Rod Sheridan
02-04-2009, 8:39 AM
Hello Rod! Many table saws are equipped with power feeders in commercial shops for redundant ripping operations. Saves on operator fatigue and makes for consistent machining.

In a home shop, any linear ripping operation could probably benefit from the use of a PF. A lot of time would be spent setting up the PF for each specific cut. But any crosscutting operation done on the TS would have to be done without its benefit. So the bottom line is....NO, NOT REALLY!

Hi Chip, yes I've used feeders many times on a tablesaw and they are great.

I use mine for sheet goods such as melamine coated PB and for ripping small strips in solids.

I must have a lot of practice, because unless I have to change speeds, it takes less than a minute to crank the feeder into position and adjust its height and toe in.

If I have to change speeds that takes another minute or two to remove the cover and swap the gears.

Regards, Rod.

Barrett Floyd
02-04-2009, 9:44 AM
So short of a SS, an overhead guard, board buddies and a riving knife, and above all a safe operator.