PDA

View Full Version : HTC Outfeed Tables/Uniguard

Warren White
07-02-2004, 2:38 PM
Does anyone have experience with the HTC Outfeed roller system in general, and specifically, does anyone know if it fits a Unisaw equipped with a Uniguard? This is the blade guard with the big, beefy tube that hooks on to the back of the saw table. Nice, but it limits stuff you can hang on the back of the table.

I have a homemade outfeed table, but I find that I opt not to drag it out because it is such a pain. Consequently, I sometimes operate in a less-than-safe mode.

If you know/recommend another outfeed system that will work with the Uniguard, please let me know.

Best to all,
Warren

Steven Wilson
07-02-2004, 3:38 PM
I had the HTC outfeed rollers on a Powermatic 66 and they worked very well. The unit attaches at two places along the back of the cabinet. Nothing attached to the saw at the back of the table top. I'm not sure if they would work with the guard you're describing. Have a picture?

Jim Becker
07-02-2004, 4:37 PM
Warren, the outfeed system I have on my site may work with the UniGuard as you can customize how you attach the fixed portion to the rear rail.

Warren White
07-02-2004, 7:58 PM
Steven,
Here is a very quick, very dirty picture of the back of my Unisaw with the Uniguard in place. Does this help, or should I take a 'cleaner' picture?

Warren

Jamie Buxton
07-02-2004, 8:09 PM
Warren --

Here is a pic of the HTC outfeed table mounted on my Unisaw. The white angle-iron supports a Besemier-clone rip fence. If you make a box whose dimensions are 5" front-to-back by 6" tall by 3 feet wide, that box can drop behind the table and sit on the HTC's support arms -- if you have no rip-fence rail. Does that answer your questions, or do you need more measurements?

Jamie

Warren White
07-03-2004, 12:41 AM
Jamie,
That is an excellent explanation of the clearance. I think I am OK, but the 6" dimension is close. Does any of that imaginary box get breached when you fold the table up or down?

Thanks,
Warren

Warren White
07-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Jamie,
One (OK two) other thought(s) occurred to me as I posted. Do you find that the 5" space between the table saw and the rollers give you any problem?

Also, would you comment on something I read today regarding the height of the outfeed table? Are there two settings; one level with the miter slots and one level with the table itself?

Warren

Jamie Buxton
07-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Jamie,
That is an excellent explanation of the clearance. I think I am OK, but the 6" dimension is close. Does any of that imaginary box get breached when you fold the table up or down?

Thanks,
Warren

Warren, since the 6" is critical, I remeasured it. It is really 5 7/8". The box does not get breached when the table goes up or down. The top of it does get breached by the tip of the miter gauge, but I'm guessing that's not the problem.

I notice you're in Livermore. I'm in Redwood City. If you want to come over and look for yourself, you're welcome.

Jamie

Warren White
07-03-2004, 1:03 AM
Ah! A neighbor; good. I might take you up on that.

Since the box gets breached by the tip of the miter guage, is the 5 7/8 from the bottom of the miter slot or the top of the table?

(I hate to be a stickler, but because of the clamps on the Uniguard, the dimension is critical.)

Warren

Chris Padilla
07-03-2004, 2:38 AM
Warren,

Take Jamie up on his offer...he has a wonderfully-located house that can be a tad tough to find! :) Bring your cell phone along so you can call him when you get stuck...he'll come out to the road to wave you down! :D

Michael Ballent
07-03-2004, 4:22 AM
If you are not "married" to the HTC take a look at the Biesmeyer outfeed table. It folds out of the way when not in use and since Delta owns Biesmeyer it should work without issues. Just another option for you :D

Jamie Buxton
07-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Jamie,
One (OK two) other thought(s) occurred to me as I posted. Do you find that the 5" space between the table saw and the rollers give you any problem?

Also, would you comment on something I read today regarding the height of the outfeed table? Are there two settings; one level with the miter slots and one level with the table itself?

Warren

Warren --
The big gap between the table and the rollers is not a problem. Think about it this way.... If you didn't have an outfeed table (your present situation), how far beyond the table can workpieces project before you start fighting for control? For me, the answer is well beyond 5".

Yes, the outfeed has two height settings, just as you guessed.

And to answer a question in a different posting, the 5 7/8 dimension is from the table top.

Warren White
07-03-2004, 2:26 PM
Warren, the outfeed system I have on my site may work with the UniGuard as you can customize how you attach the fixed portion to the rear rail.

Jim,
One of the problems I have is attaching the fixed portion. There are two large clamps that make the problem a little dicey if you plan on attaching the fixed portion directly to the saw top. It seems to complicate anything I dream up.

That said, your site is excellent, and I have bookmarked it. I was quite interested in your review of the Wagner Conversion gun. After buying their Power Painter many years ago (and being more disgusted with that thing than anything I had ever bought) I was adamant that I would never again buy anything again with their name on it. You may have convinced me otherwise. On that topic, are there any special considerations for the compressor you use?

Thanks for the suggestion, and I will again think about how to attach the fixed portion. Perhaps I could just attach it to the rear of the saw, rather than the top.....got the old skull working now!

Best wishes,
Warren

Warren White
07-03-2004, 2:31 PM
If you are not "married" to the HTC take a look at the Biesmeyer outfeed table. It folds out of the way when not in use and since Delta owns Biesmeyer it should work without issues. Just another option for you :D

Michael,
I love the tag line on your post!
:p

I have tried that several times in the past. One of my favorite cartoons I read along those lines was one with two women discussing the first's husband's hobby of woodworking. The second says something about the nice tools and saying "But he is making you furniture with them, isn't he?" To which the wife replies: "Yes, would you like to buy a $15,000 towel holder?"

I have contacted Delta and asked about how the outfeed table works with the Uniguard. It looks like it attaches under the table; if so, it might just work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best wishes,
Warren

Jim Becker
07-03-2004, 5:07 PM
One of the problems I have is attaching the fixed portion. There are two large clamps that make the problem a little dicey if you plan on attaching the fixed portion directly to the saw top. It seems to complicate anything I dream up.
Just put some angle iron or aluminum where you "can" to support the fixed portion of the table. If you plan things out, you should be able to clear the UniGuard mounts yet still provide nice support for your outfeed solution. You could also modify things to leave a gap as was suggested for the HTC thingie.

As to the Wagner gun, it's very forgiving of a compressor. I was using it successfully with a 20 gallon unit before I got my IR 60 gallon compressor.

Doug Shepard
03-12-2005, 9:00 AM
I had the HTC outfeed rollers on a Powermatic 66 and they worked very well. The unit attaches at two places along the back of the cabinet. Nothing attached to the saw at the back of the table top. I'm not sure if they would work with the guard you're describing. Have a picture?
Steve
I was searching thru posts as I'm contemplating the exact same HTC roller setup on my PM66. Just curious why you HAD (instead of have) the setup. Did you switch to a different saw or did you end up getting rid of the roller setup? And if so, why did you end up removing it?

Tyler Howell
03-12-2005, 9:50 AM
Steve
I was searching thru posts as I'm contemplating the exact same HTC roller setup on my PM66. Just curious why you HAD (instead of have) the setup. Did you switch to a different saw or did you end up getting rid of the roller setup? And if so, why did you end up removing it?OOOOH he switched alright.:eek: :cool:

John Weber
03-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Hey guys, I think Steve sold his saw and bought something bigger.

John