PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Desk

Dave Tinley
02-03-2009, 11:10 AM
A client needed a desk to work on his laptop, keep paperwork, and had minimal space. Plus he wanted to be able to hide all his paperwork when company comes over. His budget was alittle tight, so I came up with this design. made out of solid walnut, with the exception of the writting surface, it is plywood veneered in my shop. The lighter strip on the face in the first picture is just a lighting reflection.The area where the laptop slides into has an elongated opening in the back for the wires and cables.
It was my first time using Soss hinges, and they worked out great.
It has a simple water based finish on it with a couple of addtional coats on the writting surface.

Matt Woessner
02-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Very nice! One of my favorite woods is walnut. Neat yet simple design. Well executed.

Kevin Adams
02-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Dave--

Very nice. How does the front panel stay up when the desk is closed? Is it just a friction-type fit with the side brackets or is there some sort of mechanical fastener?

How did you attach the desk bottom (writing surface) to the sides? Just wondering how you allowed for movement there (or perhaps that was the reason for plywood?). Are the other sides all M&T's? Single or double tenons?

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin

Jim Kountz
02-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Nice job with the design and execution. Love the walnut!!

Jason Tuinstra
02-04-2009, 2:34 AM
Very creative form-follows-function design. Thanks for posting it. Looks nice.

Dave Tinley
02-04-2009, 9:08 AM
Dave--

Very nice. How does the front panel stay up when the desk is closed? Is it just a friction-type fit with the side brackets or is there some sort of mechanical fastener?

How did you attach the desk bottom (writing surface) to the sides? Just wondering how you allowed for movement there (or perhaps that was the reason for plywood?). Are the other sides all M&T's? Single or double tenons?

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin

Kevin-
The front stays closed with the aid of the friction supports and also, the top closes down on the front.
Yes, one of the reasons I used the plywood for the writting surface was to account for wood movement, the other reason is I just really like working with veneers, and I jump at any chance I get to veneer up a panel.

The writting surface is attached to the sides, and back with pocket screws.
Like wise the sides and back are attached to the legs with, :eek: pocket screws. The parts that make up all the little cubby holes at the rear of the desk hide the pocket screws. Where the sides meet the front legs I used the pocket hole fillers made by Kreig. They come in Oak, Maple, Walnut, etc. They do a good job of disguising the holes.

I know there are probally some purest out there that shudder at the use of pocket screws, but my logic is that you have to balance construction techniques with labor hours.
Its a buisiness for me, so the project, the clients budget and the parts being assembled all have influence on where and when I use pocket screws vs traditional joinery.

mike holden
02-04-2009, 9:38 AM
That is a really neat desk.
But, given the caption, I was expecting something like the "jefferson" traveling desk/box. (grin)
I guess I really need to move into at least the 1900's someday.
Mike

Kevin Adams
02-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks, Dave, really a wonderful project. I would like to make something similar for my older daughter to get her off her bed with the laptop (I know, it's a teenage thing!). Do you happen to recall rough measurements of your desk? Thickness of the legs? They look tapered...kinda sorta Shakeresque maybe?

Take care,
Kevin

Dave Tinley
02-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Kevin-
The width is 40", the depth is 23 1/2" and the height from the floor to the writting surface is 31". The compartment is 7" high, so when looking at it in person, it looks tall, but when you open it, it appears normal.

The client was kind of a tall man, so you may need to adjust the height of the writting surface.
The legs were 1 5/8" and tapered to 1".
If you decide to build one, and need Soss hinges, I can hook you up ;)

Thanks
Dave

Thanks, Dave, really a wonderful project. I would like to make something similar for my older daughter to get her off her bed with the laptop (I know, it's a teenage thing!). Do you happen to recall rough measurements of your desk? Thickness of the legs? They look tapered...kinda sorta Shakeresque maybe?

Take care,
Kevin

Art Mulder
02-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Dave,

Elegant and functional design. Good job.

I didn't see any cords. Are there provisions in the back for power cord access? Or some other method to hide the cord?

I have an open base desk like that for my wife, and I really don't like all the cords dangling down. I attached a power bar under the back, so at least there was only one power cord coming down.

Randal Stevenson
02-05-2009, 3:42 PM
Dave,

Elegant and functional design. Good job.

I didn't see any cords. Are there provisions in the back for power cord access? Or some other method to hide the cord?

I have an open base desk like that for my wife, and I really don't like all the cords dangling down. I attached a power bar under the back, so at least there was only one power cord coming down.

I would like to see pictures of the back and if you ever make plans for it, I would like a copy, thanks.