PDA

View Full Version : Home made air cleaner

mreza Salav
02-03-2009, 10:59 AM
This past weekend I started building an air cleaner. Used a squirrel cage furnace blower and two sub-micron filters. I decided to put two filters on the two sides of the box for more filtration area and more air movement. The filters are furnace filters (16"x25"). Tonight finished the wiring and it's ready to be hung.

Lee Schierer
02-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Nice job. I can't tell from the photos, but I hope you can change those filters easily. You'll be amazed at how fast they will get covered with sawdust.

Craig T. Smith
02-03-2009, 2:21 PM
Mreza, Nice job. I've got a squirel cage I've been meaning to use like this. Yours has inspired me to start on mine. What dimensions did you end up with? Any particulars will be appreciated. Happy Woodworking, Craig

Todd Hyman
02-03-2009, 3:28 PM
I built one similar but I set it up for 20x20 filters since I had several old 1 hepa filters left from the old furnace. A added a triple swith that I got from Lowes so that it is three speeds. Just have to remember to only turn one switch on at a time since they are in series. I also added a 12-hour rotary timer (in series) so that it will run after I am gone. Works great and really moves the air!

mreza Salav
02-03-2009, 3:57 PM
Mreza, Nice job. I've got a squirel cage I've been meaning to use like this. Yours has inspired me to start on mine. What dimensions did you end up with? Any particulars will be appreciated. Happy Woodworking, Craig

The dimensions are limited to what your blower size is and what filter size you are going to use. Mine is built from 5/8 BB and it's about 16"x25"x25" (give or take a 1/4" or so).

Jim Kountz
02-03-2009, 4:03 PM
You will love this thing, I did the same about 6 years ago and it really does a good job. Something else its good for, moving heat around the shop. My heat source is at one end of the shop and my air cleaner is in the middle. It helps to even out the heat so one end isnt so hot while the other side of the shop is chilly.