PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Cool Block Problem

Larry Nagel
02-03-2009, 9:03 AM
After researching for a bandsaw for the past few months, i decided to bite the bullet and go for what I thought would be a great saw for me. So I recently purchased a Laguna 14 SEL bandsaw. The saw is $1500 plus, and with the extra blades, mobility kit, cool blocks, we are talking just over $2000. The saw is for my workshop at home, where I like to make repairs for the house, and build small projects. In other words, most of my tools get what would be considered light use.
The saw arrived. The saw comes with an excellent video, plus the Laguna site has a lot of videos. The setup went well and I was using their Resaw King blade, which I think does a great job. So far great.
I wanted to use the 1/8" blade, which means I have to put on the cool blocks because the regular guides can only be used for blades 1/4" and up. I installed the guides, but one of the cool blocks would not fit into the guide without hitting the back of the table trunion assembly. After calling customer service I was told he never heard of anything like that. He said it was a tight fit, but it will work. I then called the head of sales who I had dealt with in ordering the saw. He said he could see where it could be a problem. His solution was to cut one of the cool blocks enough so it would fit. I did and got the saw working. The only problem is I cannot put the lower blade guard on because the cool blocks are in the way. I have placed a call to customer service again and am expecting a call today.
Anyone out there have any experience with Laguna cool blocks?

Mike Wilkins
02-03-2009, 9:41 AM
Not sure what you mean by the lower blade guard. I have the LT18 and retro-fitted with the ceramic guides. One thing I do when changing blades is to loosen all the guide blocks, side and thrust. Tension the blade per guidelines and then start setting the guides. If there are problems with the Cool Blocks after installation, maybe there is a size difference and you may have to trim the Cool Blocks with a belt sander. Call customer service for some help. Remember the time difference with Calif.

Larry Nagel
02-03-2009, 9:55 AM
Hi Mike,
There is a guard that goes on the trunnion. Yes, it is true if I cut the cool blocks back enough, the guard will fit. In checking I would have to remove on some of the cool blocks at least 1/2" to get enough clearance. Should I have to do that on a $1500 saw to put on cool blocks that were designed for this saw?