PDA

View Full Version : Keep getting "Script Error".....

Joe Tonich
07-02-2004, 2:15 PM
windows all the time. Why do I get them, and, how do I get rid of them?? It drives me Crazy!! :eek: :eek: I'm running Windows XP. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Aaron Koehl
07-02-2004, 3:29 PM
Joe,

There are dozens of reasons why you can get script errors. Most common ones are related to browser incompatibilities. I would suggest upgrading your browser and I think your problem will subside considerably.

If your browser is already up to date, the sites you're visiting can also be suspect (poorly written code). Firewalls and virus protection programs can "rewrite" code as well.

Last (but not exhaustive in this list), script errors often occur if you start surfing a page before it is completely loaded. This happens mostly with mouseovers and such, where your browser will have the script fully loaded, but won't have all of the objects (images) loaded. By invoking events on these (such as putting your mouse over them), you will cause the script to fail.

Joseph N. Myers
07-02-2004, 6:48 PM
Joe,

In the old days, I’d say reboot --- always worked then and sometimes, still will. My computer acts up at least once a week, more that if I stay logged on for a long time or start/stop certain programs like AOL a lot.

There are some basic things that can be done to clear up some of the problems. These will be certain functions that worked in the past, now doesn’t work (i.e., select/copy/paste), other functions sitting there doing nothing, java/program/coding/etc errors printing out, etc.

First thing you want to do is to try to duplicate the problem you are having and write down the steps that you went through to get the error. Close all open files, programs, etc., log off the computer and power off everything (CPU, CRT, Printer, etc.). Wait at least a minute or so and power on. See if the problem still exists.

If it does, and sometimes even if it doesn’t, you may want to delete your "cookies" and "temporary files". Cookies are files that the programs you are accessing puts on you computer to remember certain things such as your id/password for automatic logon, which files you accessed, preferences, etc. You want to make sure you know all your passwords before deleting your cookies.

Not completely sure what the files are used for but pretty sure that one of the things is remembering what web sites you accessed, e.g., you know how you type in just part of a www address and the rest of it pops up. So if you delete these files, you might have to be re-entered web sites and the likes but that should be no big deal.

On the top toolbar, select Settings/Essentials/Internet {Web] Option/Temporary Internet --- you’ll get "Delete Cookies" and "Delete Files". For kicks, you may want to just delete one of them, reboot and see if that clears up the problem(s). Then do the other. I personally do both at the same time.

Try it, you’ll like it.

Regards, Joe

Joe Tonich
07-02-2004, 7:34 PM
Joe,

First thing you want to do is to try to duplicate the problem you are having and write down the steps that you went through to get the error. Close all open files, programs, etc., log off the computer and power off everything (CPU, CRT, Printer, etc.). Wait at least a minute or so and power on. See if the problem still exists.

If it does, and sometimes even if it doesn’t, you may want to delete your "cookies" and "temporary files". Cookies are files that the programs you are accessing puts on you computer to remember certain things such as your id/password for automatic logon, which files you accessed, preferences, etc. You want to make sure you know all your passwords before deleting your cookies.

Try it, you’ll like it.

Regards, Joe
Aaron,Joe,

The times I get them most is while I'm going to SMC, when I try to log off/on, while posting, etc... I've deleted all my cookies & files and still am logged into SMC (according to the welcome up top) but cannot post cause I'm not logged in. (Doesn't make sense to me either! :confused: ) If I try to log off It says cookies are cleared but still remembers me when I come back. BTW, the only way I can get to this thread is thru the link in my E-Mail notice. New Posts just sends me a "no items match your search" (or something like that) window and it doesn't show up when I click on the OT forum. Maybe this vBulletin site isn't compatable to Earthlinks Browser??:confused: :( Re-Booting doesn't help. I don't like IE's browser, maybe just cause I'm used to Earthlinks. Maybe I should try another one?

Thanks for the advice. Any more?? Willing to try anything 'bout now.

Joe

Rob Littleton
07-03-2004, 1:18 AM
Have you tried pulling your eye lids down and blowing your nose?

:-)

Joe Tonich
07-03-2004, 8:21 AM
Have you tried pulling your eye lids down and blowing your nose?

:-)
OK, I'll try ALMOST anything!!:eek: :D

Joe

Dennis Peacock
07-03-2004, 9:55 AM
OK, I'll try ALMOST anything!!:eek: :D

Joe

Well, you asked for it Joe!! :D :p :D

Aaron Koehl
07-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Definitely caused by incompatibilities with Earthlink's browser-- Try using Mozilla, Opera, Firefox, Netscape, or IE.

Joe Tonich
07-04-2004, 2:21 PM
Definitely caused by incompatibilities with Earthlink's browser-- Try using Mozilla, Opera, Firefox, Netscape, or IE.
Thanks Aaron,

I installed Mozilla's browser and SMC is working perfectly. :D

Joe