PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight, any others?

Anthony Whitesell
02-03-2009, 8:10 AM
I don't have a local Harbor Freight Brick-and-Mortar store so I have do any purchases via the web.

Does anyone know of any other Harbor Freight cheapo-depot tool stores online (that are also reliable and not a fly-by-night operation)?

Myk Rian
02-03-2009, 8:13 AM
Try www.homier.com

Thomas Bank
02-03-2009, 9:02 AM
Another is http://www.northerntool.com/

Brent Leonard
02-03-2009, 10:39 AM
toolsnow

also known to those in eastern Kansas and throughout Missouri as Cummins tools.

They have name brand stuff also, not just the Chinese no name stuff.

On a side note,
has anyone ever noticed that anything bought through harbor freight or other chinesae made tools outlets, SMELLS EXACTLY THE SAME? A very distinct smell. What is that smell? Shipping container smell?

Bob Fraser
02-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Hi Brent, I have always noticed that, too.

I think it is part cheap machine oil, and part camphor.

The smell always reminds me of mothballs.

(which you have to be old enuf to bring to mind)
bob

Tony Bilello
02-03-2009, 11:41 AM
that if you dont have to deal with Harbor Freight...DONT!!!
Unless you know exactly what you are buying, like from a recommendation, you may be fortunate that there is no HF near you. Their prices are so tempting it's hard to turn down.
Other than a few small clamps and misc. stuff, I never bought anything from HF that didnt die prematurely. Most of their stuff is pure junk. I hope I am not starting a war here, I'm just trying to save you money and aggrevation. Returns and exchanges are so common that the local HF here dont even ask for receipts for exchanges, they just tell you to grab another one off the shelf.

Myk Rian
02-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Yes, you have to shop HF carefully. I got a metal detector there for checking for nails that works very well. Beware of the hand power tools.

Anthony Whitesell
02-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Don't worry Tony. I have been buying from HF for more than 10 years, I've been burned once or twice, but not more. Even at that, it was stuff that sounded to good to be true, like the plastic welding kit (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41592)

My standard rule is: Nothing electrical, nothing that's supposed to be sturdy or rugged, and nothing you expect to last. I especially like HF for the situation where I need a tool for a job and may not ever use it again. As long as it lasts once, I'm happy.

James Carmichael
02-03-2009, 1:24 PM
Cummins. They do 1 or 2-day sales around the country, the trick is finding out when they're near you. They sell lots of cheap stuff plus brand name refurbs like Ridgid. I have their 1HP DC which has been OK.

Tony Bilello
02-03-2009, 1:58 PM
Your statement "My standard rule is: Nothing electrical, nothing that's supposed to be sturdy or rugged, and nothing you expect to last. I especially like HF for the situation where I need a tool for a job and may not ever use it again. As long as it lasts once, I'm happy."
Thats what I do also. I have had OK luck with their cheap paint sprayers when they were on sale. Actualy worked way better than I expected.

We have the same attitude, must have something to do with then name 'Anthony'.

Brent Leonard
02-03-2009, 2:06 PM
I have very few HF tools. I honestly can't seem to burn up a cordless drill I bought there. DeWalt or Milwaukee would offer better performance, but for drilling small holes and driving #6 or #8 wood screws, I can't complain. I also have a 2 ton cherry picker. It has worked well for the two Ford small blocks I've pulled and replaced. I also will buy things like consumable items like rubber gloves, and small brushes for wood glue.

Other than that, I avoid HF like the plague.

Dave Lehnert
02-03-2009, 3:42 PM
Unless you know exactly what you are buying, like from a recommendation, you may be fortunate that there is no HF near you. Their prices are so tempting it's hard to turn down.
Other than a few small clamps and misc. stuff, I never bought anything from HF that didnt die prematurely. Most of their stuff is pure junk. I hope I am not starting a war here, I'm just trying to save you money and aggrevation. Returns and exchanges are so common that the local HF here dont even ask for receipts for exchanges, they just tell you to grab another one off the shelf.

The reason for that is the profit on Cheap tools is about 30 to 50% some even more. That is HUGE! They can afford to take returns back no questions asked. Compair that to name brand tools at only 7 to 10% profit. (Festool is the exception. Very profitable.)
Thats the same reason HD pushes Ryobi tools. Much more profitable than the name brand. Noticed I said profit not the retail value.

Michael Gibbons
02-03-2009, 5:54 PM
Other than a few small clamps and misc. stuff, I never bought anything from HF that didnt die prematurely. Most of their stuff is pure junk. I hope I am not starting a war here, I'm just trying to save you money and aggrevation. Returns and exchanges are so common that the local HF here dont even ask for receipts for exchanges, they just tell you to grab another one off the shelf.Hey, that's pretty funny. My wife and I were out shopping and I saw the infamous Harbor Freight store. So I says to da wife, "Hey I'm gonna go look around". She says to me " Have Fun". It took less than ten minutes (more like seven) to confirm my suspicions. Run, Mike, Run!!! I thnk the best knockoff I saw was the Tormek clone. In that awful pink/orange color. Or the "OAK" workbench for $150. NO THANKS.

Josiah Bartlett
02-03-2009, 6:27 PM
I have one of their variable speed sawzalls, a plate joiner, and a variable speed sander/polisher. All of those tools have held up well. I've really abused that sawzall. It's full of drywall dust and metal shavings, and it keeps right on going. I've dropped it off of ladders and run it at low speed for 15 minutes at a time. The plate joiner works ok but isn't very precise. As long as you take the time to set it up carefully it works fine.

I also like their dust collectors. They are pretty crude but they are so cheap you can use them in tandem or add your own filter system.