PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Bosch Benchtop router table (RA 1181)?

dennis thompson
02-03-2009, 7:14 AM
I'd be interested in comments from anyone on their opinion of the Bosch benchtop router table (RA 1181). At $163 it just fits into my budget.
Thanks
Dennis

jason tuck
02-03-2009, 8:05 AM
I had the predecessor to that model (1180), and it wasn't all that great. Few items:

1. The supplied phenolic plate would deflect under the weight of a router. At the time, they supposedly had an aluminum one, but when I ordered it, they sent another phenolic. Go figure.
2. To rings didnt snap in flush, probably due to above mentioned deflection.
3. The older fence system was made up of a few pieces of extrustion that were very difficult to get lined up correctly. You could get everything perfect, tighten it down, and it would be off by 1/32". The fence system shown on your link might be better.
4. I'm not partial to a benchtop model table like that - if you use a higher worksurface (I prefer 36-40" personally) then the router is up a bit too high. There should be a stand you can buy for it, however.
5. Getting your hands under it to adjust can be a pain.

I'll be selling mine when i have the funds for something nicer/newer.

Jim Dunn
02-03-2009, 8:12 AM
At $163.00 can't you build a decent top and use it on a bench for a while? I'd then follow up with a cabinet to mount it on. Just a suggestion.