PDA

View Full Version : Toot your own horn

Jim Kountz
02-03-2009, 12:06 AM
So who here considers themselves a pro finisher particularly when it comes to walnut. There is a neat project brewing here on the Creek and it requires someone who can really make a finish happen. Are you this person? If so tell us why and show us something you've done. I think you will be interested in this project and soon I will be posting more details about it.

John Keeton
02-03-2009, 7:18 AM
Jim, nothing to offer, but I will be watching this thread closely!! Walnut is my favorite wood, and I have just started my next walnut project.

Would be interesting to hear from those that have used pumice, or other grain fillers to achieve a smoother finish, although not a piano finish.

Jim Becker
02-03-2009, 9:23 AM
Not a pro. But an important question that needs answered first is air-dried or kiln dried with steaming? Different regimens are often used to account for the color differences between these two "versions" of walnut.

Larry Fox
02-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Would be interesting to hear from those that have used pumice, or other grain fillers to achieve a smoother finish, although not a piano finish.

I have done both on Walnut although I prefer the pumice method when doing a French Polish. You can kinda see the results here.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97663

Another here.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67529

Any way you slice it though the grain filling is a PITA and might require multiple passes.

BTW: I am NOT the guy to finish this walnut project the op talks about, I don't have the chops to risk messing up someone else's project. :)

Jim Kountz
02-03-2009, 1:06 PM
BUMP!!
Wow no takers at all?? C'mon guys I know someone out there is capable!!

Jim Kountz
02-03-2009, 1:09 PM
Not a pro. But an important question that needs answered first is air-dried or kiln dried with steaming? Different regimens are often used to account for the color differences between these two "versions" of walnut.
Jim, the wood has been air dried since oh about 1950 in an old farmers barn. I got it last year and it has been acclimating in my shop (ac in summer, heated in winter) ever since. This stuff cuts like buttah!! Its very nice to work with and a sample of it can be seen in my turners gallery, the walnut platter. Its very nice stuff!! Even has the occasional worm hole here and there but they are small, about 1/16 or less.

David Christopher
02-03-2009, 1:20 PM
Jim, what kind of finish are you talking about... Gloss, Satin ,flat, latex paint?????? if you are talking about a clear gloss I am pretty good

Jim Kountz
02-03-2009, 5:48 PM
Jim, what kind of finish are you talking about... Gloss, Satin ,flat, latex paint?????? if you are talking about a clear gloss I am pretty good

Paint!!?? Holy cow lets not get carried away!! Its walnut were talkin about here. As far as the sheen I guess personally I would like to see the end project then decide but probably a nice oil finish of some kind would be my first pick just because I like it better than "surface" finishes. Not lacquer, I know that much!!

John Keeton
02-03-2009, 6:43 PM
Larry, those are some nice pieces. I noticed that I actually posted early on in the 2008 thread, but before you spoke of the pumice.

I am not a real fan of french polish, but I do like a little bit of fill on walnut. Just never been able to achieve the right look, and want to try some pumice and shellac mixed together. One of those "round tuits."

And, David was obviously kidding on the latex paint, but those words could raise some hackles in the right circle!!

Steve Schoene
02-03-2009, 8:34 PM
What is it that is being asked? I've finished walnut in several ways, for different looks, mostly never using any stain, but not always. But you don't bid on a job without knowing about the job. So describe the job--be specific, what is the project, how is it to be used, what style is it, do you want the small worm holes to disappear or not, will any sapwood be left in the scrap pile, or must it be dealed with, etc, etc. And, if you are talking about a physical reality where is the job to be done.

Jim Kountz
02-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Steve steve, easy brother, its not a job for a customer, this is something entirely different. See my post in the projects section and it will explain everything.

Steve Schoene
02-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Ah, Ha, the fog begins to clear. I wasn't understanding the mystery, which isn't one if you read your projects thread. Sounds interesting.