PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Bell critique requested

Tamara Brown
02-02-2009, 9:45 PM
OK, I finally finished something other than a pen. I started this bell right after Christmas and finished it in early January, but just now got my lazy hubby to take a picture for me. It is 6.5"x2.25" made from a juniper (from a friends front yard), maple and purpleheart. The clapper is a just a bead hooked to a silver chain. Let me know what you think.;)

Dave Halter
02-02-2009, 9:51 PM
That's beautiful. I like the colors and the design.

Dave

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Tamara that is beautiful. I really like the wood combo's. Boy I just can't believe he wouldn't take pictures. Not Brian.:D;):rolleyes::cool:

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Great looking bell Tamara! Nice form and lots of color! Next time don't wait for Brian - just ask him for his camera!

Billy Tallant
02-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Great looking bell. That sure brought back memories. Our Dad always woke us up every morning by ringing a bell about that size. :)

Tamara Brown
02-03-2009, 12:24 AM
just ask him for his camera!

Truth be told...I have my own...or two. I was just not willing to go to the studio to shoot them. Brian has a way of putting me to work when I am there and I was taking the month of January off! I promise from now on I won't wait for him.:D

Brian Brown
02-03-2009, 12:25 AM
She has her own camera, a key to the studio, and is perfectly capable of shooting her own. So this became my job how? :confused::p

Jim Kountz
02-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Thats really nice!! The colors work really well together and the turning itself was very well done!!

steven carter
02-03-2009, 8:06 AM
Tamara,

Nice looking bell! On the bells I've been making, I went to Wally World and bought some of the round bells in the craft department and hung them from a wire for the clapper so it actually sounds like a sleigh bell. On a large bell, you can hang more than one inside. Just a thought in case you want to try something different.

Steve

Terry Quiram
02-03-2009, 8:49 AM
The bell shape is great and I love the handle. I don't care for the Maple section. I am going to copy this pic and hang it on my idea board. How did you attach the clapper?

Greg Ketell
02-03-2009, 1:17 PM
That is Really nice. Awesome job.

Something to add to my list of things to try to turn.

GK

Frank Townend
02-03-2009, 6:09 PM
Beautiful, great proportions, choice of woods, and execution!

John Beaver
02-03-2009, 7:40 PM
Tamara, that's beautiful. I love the shape and contrasting wood.

Dennis Peacock
02-03-2009, 7:52 PM
Tamara,

Very nice job on the bell. The Juniper and the Purpleheart go very well together. The Maple seems to be out of place a bit and that particular section would look much better IMHO in the same Juniper wood as the bell.
The handle has a very nice shape to it and nicely executed. I like the touch of the clapper inside the bell. Very nice piece overall. You done good.!! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2009, 8:25 PM
Nice form Tamara! Like some of the others said the maple looks a little out of place with the other woods. But all in all....Nicely done Lady!

Keith Burns
02-03-2009, 8:30 PM
Tamara, I like everything about it. It all works together. Great form on the bell and the handle. Good stuff !

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2009, 8:31 PM
One question Tamara.....did you use that "Evil Skew" on that?

Tamara Brown
02-03-2009, 9:22 PM
did you use that "Evil Skew" on that?

Why Ken darling ;)...of course I used the evil skew!:eek: The bowl gouge is not my friend...yet! I told you that you created a monster with that skew.

"How did I attach the clapper?" The handle is attached mortise and tenon style, I just drilled a small hole through the bell, threaded a jewelrey headpin (that's from a different hobby) through it with the clapper chain attached, then I knotted the metal so it wouldn't pull through and glued the handle in.

By the way thank you all for your comments, I really do appreciate them!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Congrats Tamara!

Hey Bernie....we have another skew convert!:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2009, 10:46 PM
I see that Ken. She even likes the skew better than a bowl gouge.:eek: You go Tamara. I also love my skew or should I say skews.