PDA

View Full Version : I want to be Curt Fuller (critique requested)

Brian Brown
02-02-2009, 9:35 PM
and Keith Burns and Mike Fusion and Ken and Steve and BW and and and and everybody else. :D but I have a long ways to go!

I finished these this weekend. I started the vase about 4 months ago but had to wait for it to dry. The other one (what do you call this thing?) I started a couple of weeks ago. The vase ( 8"x5") is box elder finished with Danish Oil, the other one is top to bottom, Box Elder Burl, Bloodwood and tulip wood. On the stemmed piece (7"x3.5"), the stem was originally box elder and shorter, then a spontaneous design change occured. I like the new bottom better, what do you think?

Jim Kountz
02-02-2009, 9:37 PM
Id say you're well on your way Brian!! Looking good!!

Jeff Nicol
02-02-2009, 9:58 PM
Brian, They look good to me also! The figure in the box elder is always a hit! The NE wins me over too, I love a NE!! Keep on plugging along.

Jeff

Dave Halter
02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Brian,
From the looks of those you oughta be happy being yourself. I really like the stemmed piece. Wonderful contrast in colors and the shape flows nicely.

Dave

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Brian I would say you did well. I really like the one with the stem. Really well done.

alex carey
02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
both of those are beautiful, nice form and good color, especially the one on the left.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2009, 10:40 PM
A natural edged vase (NE) and a NE goblet. Nicely done Brian. I would say remain Brian Brown. Nicely done!

Rich Boehlke
02-02-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm no expert but these pieces look great to me. Wish I could do that.

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Excellent work Brian! Love the wood in both pieces! Great form on the NE vase! The jagged edge makes it look like it is reaching for the sky! The NE goblet is really cool! Love all the curl! Interesting combination of woods but sure seem to work well together! If I was going to suggest anything - it would be next time to turn the stem portion just a little thinner. BUT, that is just a personal preference and in no way reflects that there is anything wrong with the piece just the way it is!

Very nice work! Looking forward to Curt's comments!

Curt Fuller
02-03-2009, 12:02 AM
I think you're doing just fine being you! But I'll tell you what, I'll give you my bad back, arthritic wrists, elbows, hips, and knees, deaf ears, and fuzzy eyes if you'll give me the 20 or 30 years I've probably got on you.;)

I like both of those, nothing quite like box elder burl imho!

Robert McGowen
02-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Both of your pieces are very nice. The vase seems to catch my eye though.

Brian Brown
02-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Well Curt, I'll tell you what... I have all of the above, except the bad eyes, and I see the writing on the wall there. But, I'll keep the years, although I don't think it is as many as you think! ;) I do love seeing your work though, and I get a lot of inspiration from it.

Mark Rios
02-03-2009, 4:20 AM
Yup, ol' Curt and Keith and Mike are some of the bet turners in the (Saw Mill Creek) world. Everyone should buy at least one of their turnings.

:D

Keith Burns
02-03-2009, 8:44 PM
Brian there is nothing wrong with either piece. The vase is my favorite though.

A few years back we had an auction here to raise money for St. Jude. I was fortunate enough to win/buy one of Curt's Bowls which sets proudly in my collection.