PDA

View Full Version : Turning Elk Antler - advice?

Martin Lutz
07-02-2004, 1:39 PM
I have just gotten some elk antler to try and turn. I occasionally make some pens and pencils for family and friends. this is the plan for the elk antler. I cut some last night, smells like burning hair when cut, but I am unsure how to deal with the softer center of the antler. the antler tips dont seem to yield enough of the outer shell to make a pen. I plan on making larger diameter pens but I'm sure I will have to deal with the softer, more porous, center. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

Martin

Rob Littleton
07-02-2004, 1:51 PM
I just turned a bunch of deer antler.

What I did was turned it until I liked it, then used the CA glue to seal it. Pour CA glue over the complete turning and wet your finger, then turn the antler with your other hand (do NOT power on the lathe) and rub your wet(ish) finger over the CA glue. As well, I take the shavings from the antler and hold this on the turning.

After a little sanding, the softer core is rock hard and you can wax it.

I also use, not sure if its a waste of time but I do it, a little rubbing compound to get rid of the scratches.

If you can take the smell, antler pens are great.

Enjoy

Greg Heppeard
07-02-2004, 3:25 PM
If you are making pens out of it, try to drill your hole as close to the edge as you can and still leave a little room for turning. CA will soak into the soft interior and you can then turn it well. Try sanding to about 4000 grit then use a plastic polish to finish, I think you'll like what you see.